Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a great shave.

What scent is the soap?

Savon No 1. Lavender and rosemary. I'm not convinced by the scent yet. I'll see if it grows on me, otherwise it'll be on BST.

Savon No 1. Lavender and rosemary. I'm not convinced by the scent yet. I'll see if it grows on me, otherwise it'll be on BST.

Was the performance of the soap good? I have really enjoyed the shaves I get from my Cold River Soap Works soaps.

Was the performance of the soap good? I have really enjoyed the shaves I get from my Cold River Soap Works soaps.

Yeah. Fantastic. I had a really good shave. I can't necessarily say it was all from the soap, as I had a pretty solid team all round, but the soap definitely contributed. No irritation or anything, and really close.

Although I didn't manage to nick myself under my chin ever so slightly, but that was just user error ;)

20151029_SOTDS_zpsweplz8fy.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: IKON DLC Slant with long Bulldog handle
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-band
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Not a great shave but a great shave experience ;)

Brush: Smog 1305
Lather: LPL Rose (thanks @SydBJW )
Straight: Filarmonica 13
Aftershave: Alu, Metilsol, Emulsion

Oh the Fili! Seriously I'm hard pressed to find a favourite between the Henckels 472, Puma 89 and Fili 13...oh but that Fili!!!!!! For some reason it felt smoother. But just as sharp, as I had the closest straight shave ever. So much so I might give the shave a miss tomorrow....don't think I'l need it and want more to plough down during the weekend.

Brush: Simpsons Tulip 1
Razors: Star Lather Catcher and Gillette 58
Blades: Gem Stainless and English Wilky
Soap: Godrej Round
A/S: TOBS Bay Rum

Thought I'd give my recently acquired Star a go today. Never again. First pass was so rough I swapped it for the Gillette. Very tuggy and not at all comfortable with lots of stubble remaining.

The Godrej soap was very nice though, lathers very easily and is somewhat like Arko, but with a fresh, pleasant smell.

I took one of my 5/8 razors for an outing on my c-nat 12k today and it was wonderful for tonight's shave. However I did learn a valuable lesson. Even though this razor is a round point I honed a fairly sharp point and the little vampire nicked me twice just to let me know I don't really know much about cut throat shaving - yet.

2 days growth gone in a matter of moments, in actuality about 30 minutes but it was a good shave.

Razor, soap and a smile. DFS to boot.

Steve

I took one of my 5/8 razors for an outing on my c-nat 12k today and it was wonderful for tonight's shave. However I did learn a valuable lesson. Even though this razor is a round point I honed a fairly sharp point and the little vampire nicked me twice just to let me know I don't really know much about cut throat shaving - yet.

2 days growth gone in a matter of moments, in actuality about 30 minutes but it was a good shave.

Razor, soap and a smile. DFS to boot.

Steve

"cnat"...LOL never heard that one before....I'm actually keen to try me a g-nat...serious I think a Thuringian might go well with a Solingen.

Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Gent's V2 Original
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805

I rate this Gold Dollar highly. It gives a nice comfortable shave that's very close in two passes. My straight mojo is starting to come together now.

@stillshunter C-nat = Chinese natural whetstone. A good one is an excellent hone. Mine is excellent. Being a natural I could not say what the actual grit is but it certainly gives a very sharp smooth edge.

@stillshunter C-nat = Chinese natural whetstone. A good one is an excellent hone. Mine is excellent. Being a natural I could not say what the actual grit is but it certainly gives a very sharp smooth edge.
Yeah mate I got the "c-nat" reference, hence my allusion to a "g-nat" or German Natural.....
...just only ever heard the "-nat" suffix used with the "j" not the "c".

Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Gent's V2 Original
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805

I rate this Gold Dollar highly. It gives a nice comfortable shave that's very close in two passes. My straight mojo is starting to come together now.
After @Mark gives them a good honing, these razors really are a fantastic shaver. Can't fault the blade or shave quality. The scales are cheap but I can't fault the shave.

How does the LPL go compared to other non-tallow soaps?

FTFY - answer is brilliantly! It is a great lathering soap!

I'm biased but the likes of LPL and MdC kick the rump of most beef rendered offerings.

Not sure I'd go that far BUT if when the WHO determines that shaving with processed meat will give me cancer I have a good fall back position with these too :)

Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Gillette Otto Roth OC
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap: Mikes Natural Soaps
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Post Shave: Trumpers Limes Skin Food and Armani Eau d aromes
Two Pass shave with a clean up along the neckline. Mikes soaps need a little work to get the lather to where I like it but a superior soap it is. Nice coconut scent on this one. You must load the crap out of it but it is a luxurious and protective soap. Finished off with a citrus theme .
20151030_065519 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.