Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
There it is, the one soap I regret selling.
I mean it went to a top bloke don't get me wrong, but now I wonder how well it would perform with a straight! As I cast my mind back to any of its shortfalls with DEs, are the very points that might suit it to straights.
It works. The soap is not the best shaving aid I've used, BUT THE SCENT !!! The scent places it as my all time favourite.

Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald Diddy V2 Cedar
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

That soap/aftershave combo is a deadset winner. As far as my nose is concerned, they are of the same olfactory phylum.

Two passes is plenty with a sharp straight. Happy.

It works. The soap is not the best shaving aid I've used, BUT THE SCENT !!! The scent places it as my all time favourite.
Oh OK mate, I always found it had a weird face feel; where it felt dry after the stroke. So I wondered whether this would suit the need in straight shaving to get a purchase on skin to stretch in the wake?

Yeah the scent, I know, I know, it's the exact reason I bought - and love - my Anne Bonny. Closest I've found to JGS so far...

“ A bit boring, really…”

...is what you say when you have a shave that’s a bit boring, really…

Razor | Gillette | Blade | Astra Platinum | Soap | TOBS Sandalwood Herbal | After Shave | Col. Conk Amber

Was alright, did ½ of what it was meant to be, as in, the utilitarian ½, but did not, I say again did NOT, please, excite, relax, pamper, cajole. Didn’t even come CLOSE to astonishing or even surprising…

Bee Tee Doubleyou.... Anyone know what HTML notation the background of the SOTD page is, so if one wanted one's post to blend in nicely one could do that?

Might depend what theme you're running, but rgb(245, 245, 245).

Anyone have a Mergress they want to sell..? Anyone have an opinion on them, wanna adjustable razor and like the look...they seem hard to find..
Also, it sucks we can't buy cheap menthol aftershave....bloody Osage rub costs an arm and a leg to get here...don't know if I can justify it...any ideas?

Pumas are brilliant shavers, if anything I slightly prefer them over the Henckels but thats personal preference. I recall you removing a slight frown, I'm guessing you honed it flat to cause that sharp point? When removing a frown you want to hone it like a smiling blade to put that little bit of curve on the toe, a 100% straight bevel isn't what you should aim for. Easiest way to fix it without removing too much precious steel is to go back to your 5k and mute the point (and heel if necessary) just run it down the side of the stone once or twice, that will leave a burr at the very point, hone it out on the 5k using x-strokes which will concentrate more towards the point and carry on with the progression. They take Jnat edges very well too.

I presume from @stillshunter comment that this made some sort of sense to some people?

Oh dear, oh dear. This place is being overrun ...

I presume from @stillshunter comment that this made some sort of sense to some people?

I actually understood every single word...unlike the stock market/finance reporting. Honestly I get lost within the first sentence, S&P 500, Footsie, blah, bull market, hedge funds, etc., it all sounds Swahili to me.....talk about "this place being overrun", this world is overrun, just has too many capitalists! ;)

Oh OK mate, I always found it had a weird face feel; where it felt dry after the stroke. So I wondered whether this would suit the need in straight shaving to get a purchase on skin to stretch in the wake?

Yeah the scent, I know, I know, it's the exact reason I bought - and love - my Anne Bonny. Closest I've found to JGS so far...

Anne Bonny is a great smelling soap, if not my No. 2 scent, definitely in the top 3.

You say the most endearing things !!!! (y)

“ A bit boring, really…”

...is what you say when you have a shave that’s a bit boring, really…

Razor | Gillette | Blade | Astra Platinum | Soap | TOBS Sandalwood Herbal | After Shave | Col. Conk Amber

Was alright, did ½ of what it was meant to be, as in, the utilitarian ½, but did not, I say again did NOT, please, excite, relax, pamper, cajole. Didn’t even come CLOSE to astonishing or even surprising…

Bee Tee Doubleyou.... Anyone know what HTML notation the background of the SOTD page is, so if one wanted one's post to blend in nicely one could do that?

Very creative image, but something just doesn't seem right :)

Last edited:
SOTN

Brush: Semouge 620
Razor: Ikon 101
Soap: B&M Adagio

Hadn't shaved for a couple of days I have been leaving for work too early in morning. Decided to shave at night.

Two pass shave with touch up. Must admit I find the closed head side of this razor far better than the open comb side and would do the majority of the shave with the closed head side.

First shave with Adagio, I scoped a sample and bowled lathered. First the good, the soap performs like all B&M soaps and that is great and I got a great shave form it. The not so great, the scent is not for me.

I actually understood every single word...unlike the stock market/finance reporting. Honestly I get lost within the first sentence, S&P 500, Footsie, blah, bull market, hedge funds, etc., it all sounds Swahili to me.....talk about "this place being overrun", this world is overrun, just has too many capitalists! ;)

OK, OK, don't get your DAX in a knot!

Go and play FTSE with Mrs Stills (you may still have traces on Halfeti on you - did she like it?)

Whatever you do don't go DOWn to the cows 'cause they are NASDAQ in mud.

I know you want to HANG SENG too - but poor old Seng really did Nikkei in my view, Nikkei at all!

This may sound All Ords to you but to some people it is not Standard & Poors.

Go and play FTSE with Mrs Stills (you may still have traces on Halfeti on you - did she like it?)

I know you want to HANG SENG too - but poor old Seng really did Nikkei in my view, Nikkei at all!

Oh so you are of the sect that speaks in tongues mate?

Wednesday 28 October 2015

216894d1446036107-sun-october-25th-sat-october31th-sotd-28102015.jpg

Grah & Plumacher Gotta Superfine 120, 11/16 Full Hollow, Round point

I have many favorite vintage straight razors made in Solingen and Gotta certainly is one of them. Its full hollow ground gives a quite singing and close shave, something I generally like hearing while I shave with a straight razor. I also like this "Aguzzeria del Cavallo" almond shaving soap, an artisan soap made in Bologna, in my opinion one of the very best we have in Italy. Not to mention the glorious Floïd Blue, one of my favorite aftershaves of all times. I wanted to make this shave special by using the exclusive Omega Professional 48 Gold brush, an elegant touch with its golden handle and capable of mounting a lather in very little time.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aguzzeria del Cavallo Almond Soap
  • Brush: Omega Professional 48 Gold
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Grah & Plumacher Gotta Superfine 120, 11/16 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

7aYMCSQh.jpg

Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Epsilon white horse
Soap: Proraso Green
Splash: Avon light Musk
Balm: Avon Mush for Men

The Avon is my late Grandfathers, not sure how old it is. This aftershave is the first one I ever used, other than drowning myself in Dads Old Spice when I was pretty young.. I used the cream for the first time today its actually pretty nice. Its flammable so I guess the alcohol preserved it.

Last sundays SOTD decided to upload.
1VtixqVl.jpg

Last edited:

Huh???

Status
Not open for further replies.