Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my first Shave Of The Day post here :)

Razor: Burrell Top Flight 5/8 full hollow (makes a great sound when shaving)
Cream: Wahl Traditional Barber's (nice scent, works pretty well but not a fantastic cream; seems to dissipate readily)
After Shave: Wahl Traditional Barber's (love it, I pretty much pour it on myself, almost as good as Pashana or Dominica bay Rum)
Other Smelly Stuff: Adrenaline by Enrique Iglesias (nice. I overdo this as well)

Nice shave, razor needs a touch up. My two son's both use this razor as well as I so it gets a bit of work and their stropping is probably not as good as mine (of course). Might hold off touching it up on the hone until our next shaving get together so maybe I could do it then and get some input or share some knowledge?

21893548853_305cbed7c1_b.jpg
SOTD271015[/url] by Carl Schneider, on Flickr[/IMG] PS can't workout how to upload a picture, can you do it directly or does it have to live elsewhere and if so, where?

Last edited:
What? OK!
- wipe on the slippery
- wipe off with the sharp
- wash down the sink
- wear big the smile

I love cut throat razor shaving. I'm not all that good at it but I love cut throat razor shaving, and honing and soap making and cleaning rust off old razors and getting a shave with something that has a real history.

Razor - 1958 Helman Tanifuji [about 6/8" ]
Soap - yep used soap.
About a DFS for the shave and a BBS for the sheer enjoyment.

@carlmaloschneider you need a service like Photobuck or similar and then link to that in your post.

Copy the image URL and that is pasted in your post here.

Steve

Might hold off touching it up on the hone until our next shaving get together so maybe I could do it then and get some input or share some knowledge?

:) I can just see us gathered around a naked blade, some water and a bit of stone at the coffee shop on The Parade. Maybe we can meet at my place and even convince the new resident soapmaker @khun_diddy to make a batch of Lemon Myrtle-Diddy 1 soap while we hone and chat.

Did I just hear Lemon Myrtle!

then noticed the strop taking on some scratches, and then deeper the more I stropped. Not sure what happened near the toe but she's got a date with the stones.
Pumas are brilliant shavers, if anything I slightly prefer them over the Henckels but thats personal preference. I recall you removing a slight frown, I'm guessing you honed it flat to cause that sharp point? When removing a frown you want to hone it like a smiling blade to put that little bit of curve on the toe, a 100% straight bevel isn't what you should aim for. Easiest way to fix it without removing too much precious steel is to go back to your 5k and mute the point (and heel if necessary) just run it down the side of the stone once or twice, that will leave a burr at the very point, hone it out on the 5k using x-strokes which will concentrate more towards the point and carry on with the progression. They take Jnat edges very well too.

Pre-shave: Cetaphil Cleansing Bar & bloom water
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Buttered Rum
Brush: Semogue 1800
Post-shave: Alum & Speick

2nd time with PSS blade and another great shave. First time using the Alum block and now understand the what people mean when they talk about feedback. Couple of areas where my technique was obviously a little off, but nothing major.

No shave today, skin still reminding me how much it protests against PAA!

20151028_064552_zpsnjhamwvq.jpg

SOTD Wednesday, October 28

Cold water shave
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Brush: Simpson Bererley badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

First pass I had the lather too dry. My bad. No nicks, the blade just wasn't gliding over my face the way I like. Dipped the badger in the water for the next pass and "all was good in the world again".

Razor performed.

20151028_080106 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Gillette Otto Roth OC
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Stirling Glacial Obsidian
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX and Pino EDT
Two pass shave with a clean up. Second use of this soap and talk about a face freeze. Eyes water a little too but I like it. Again you can feel the cooling effect for about 30 mins after the shave.

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Soap Shave Heaven Hubba Hubba
Razor Merkur 34C HD
Blade Persona Blue Med Prep
Post Shave Speick Men After Shave Balsam Sensitive
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

There are days when the Shaving Gods bless you and then there are days when they curse you. Although all the pieces were there today I just couldn't get them to align correctly. Hopefully it's just that I'm recovering from a head cold but the only word I can use to cover today's shave is shite. Lather was fine, blade was sharp, no nicks or cuts just crappy technique and after three passes I just made "socailly acceptable" before throwing in the towel and getting a cup of coffee.

“ A bit boring, really…”

...is what you say when you have a shave that’s a bit boring, really…

Razor | Gillette | Blade | Astra Platinum | Soap | TOBS Sandalwood Herbal | After Shave | Col. Conk Amber

Was alright, did ½ of what it was meant to be, as in, the utilitarian ½, but did not, I say again did NOT, please, excite, relax, pamper, cajole. Didn’t even come CLOSE to astonishing or even surprising…

Bee Tee Doubleyou.... Anyone know what HTML notation the background of the SOTD page is, so if one wanted one's post to blend in nicely one could do that?

Last edited:
Brush Smog 620
Soap LPL Rose (thanks to @SydBJW )
Razor Puma 89
Aftershave Alum, Myrsol Antesol & Emulsion

Big thanks to @Mark for his advice on this morning's hone. Still approached this shave with a little trepidation as the last shave with the Puma was no where as good as the more recent efforts with the Henckels. The short of it was all that fuss for nothing. The hone delivered a great edge and the Puma delivered a great shave. Wore a smile like the milkman doing is first few lonely housewives of his rounds. I can't see there being any way back to DEs from here.

Last edited:

There it is, the one soap I regret selling.
I mean it went to a top bloke don't get me wrong, but now I wonder how well it would perform with a straight! As I cast my mind back to any of its shortfalls with DEs, are the very points that might suit it to straights.

Status
Not open for further replies.