Shave of the Day - 2024

6pyVd9E.jpg

Filarmónica 14 Doble Temple 8/8 Hollow - Semogue 820 - Shannon's Barbershop - Myrsol Antesol - Sukin Moisturiser

Why is the straight razor edge shape is different on each side? Unless one side has been overly hone sharpened, rather in equal?
Japanese Kamisori razors had a different grind on each side of the blade. “Ura” being the most hollow ground side and “Omote” being the less hollow side. Traditionally a barber shaved his client using one side of the blade only with it being considered disrespectful to use both sides. In modern times when using a Kamisori to shave your own face using both sides works perfectly well.

H-SOTD 06.01.24

IMG-7670.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot shower
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: Squadron Soaps - 617
Razor: 1924 T R Cadman Bengall (5/8)
Finished with: Karve Overlander
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

A super busy week and the first hotel shave of the year.

More growth than usual - 5 days - but the Bengal did well. I’m beginning to understand the feedback of the blade, and didn’t knock myself. I quite like the sound of the blade cutting through the hair. Having longer hair made it an easier shave.

Topped up the shave with the Overlander and a Gillette Nacet blade. Really comfortable top up. The blade wasn’t as aggressive as expected… I went into it thinking “Feather sharp”.

C

07 January - Shorty Sunday

Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 half hollow 6/8, modified to a shorty with French point, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa, and re-scaled in flame figured European maple.

QRggHNN.jpg
A lovely shave, as expected. This razor just feels so good to shave with!

Next Sunday I'll try and remember to take out my "Bengal" shorty for a drive.

Finally broke my SR duck. Managed left side of face and neck as well as left side of top lip. Interstingly I used my DE on the otherside and the SR wins the battle by a considerable margin.
A quick question - I am using the Gold Dollar I received as part of a PIF - can I use both sides of the razor to shave with (nooby question I know).

Glen

PXL-20240106-201619594-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake (Valobra) - Oxford & Cambridge
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Guatemala Huehuetenango

Finally broke my SR duck. Managed left side of face and neck as well as left side of top lip. Interstingly I used my DE on the otherside and the SR wins the battle by a considerable margin.
A quick question - I am using the Gold Dollar I received as part of a PIF - can I use both sides of the razor to shave with (nooby question I know).

Glen
Happy to hear that you are getting good results from your foray into the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. It only gets better.

Happy to hear that you are getting good results from your foray into the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. It only gets better.
I think it will. Now all I have to do is hone what I have (about 4 very old ones). I will get on youtube and look for videos. Looking in my drawerI have one called The Queen with someones initials on it, another with the words Genuine Respect on the bov, the other Gold Dollar I will start with that and one more that I sent to be honed but never got to using, So I guess I will be busy.

Japanese Kamisori razors had a different grind on each side of the blade. “Ura” being the most hollow ground side and “Omote” being the less hollow side. Traditionally a barber shaved his client using one side of the blade only with it being considered disrespectful to use both sides. In modern times when using a Kamisori to shave your own face using both sides works perfectly well.
A bit like japanese traditional knives.