Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@unobtainium81 please don't make me jealous ;) also my brother got me another brush again coming soon it's a Semogue Special Edition 2013 Silvertip 24mm knot with a 48mm loft :p:D
I can't promise anything [emoji16]

That Semogue should be good. I like their badger brushes. I don't like their boars *ducks and runs for cover*

I can't promise anything [emoji16]

That Semogue should be good. I like their badger brushes. I don't like their boars *ducks and runs for cover*

@unobtainium81 have you try the SOC 2-band Badger is a 24mm knot with 53mm loft ? you love the 620 boar for face lather trust me ;)

Pre Shave: - Proaso White
Razor: - Wahl Shavette
Blade: - Feather (4 or 5th, 1 time too many either way)
Brush: - RazoRock Bruse
Soap/Cream: - Razorock King Louis
Post Shave: - Razorock King Louis
Tipple: - Wild Turkey Diamond Jubilee on the rocks
Tune: - Rage Against the Machine

"No half measures......"

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (8)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Le Père Lucien Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Le Père Lucien Lotion du Barbier

Been a while since I've had a tallow free shave - the LPL still gets top marks in my book (y)

On a mine site in whoop whoop - disposables only.

Pre:
Proraso Green cream
Razor: Gillette Fusion
Blade: Gillette Fusion
Brush: Savile Row silvertip 3824
Cream: DR Harris eucalyptus cream

Very simple shave with minimum products, but got a fantastic lather with the DR Harris due to the purity of the RO water on site.
The result was a brilliant shave. Just goes to show the importance of a good lather.

2_Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Blind Barber Facewash
Brush: Shavemac 2 Band 173
Soap: S.V Cosmo
Razor: iKon DLC Slant 'The Dark Knight'
Blade: PSI (3)

Holy Cow! What a brush, what a soap. I didn't need to shave tonight, but with this gear I couldn't not.
I'll go into the soap another time (it really is excellent) but cannot say how good this brush is. So much presence, so much backbone, such soft tips, so much great lather.
It actually put me in mind of @Sxot and his quest for something more than the Duke 2. I have a Duke 2 and this brush reminds me of it. But so much softer. And so much more backbone. A truly superb face latherer.

Yes I am paying attention to your comments on this brush. It looks great, and I love the colour of the hairs. I'm ready to pull the trigger on something very similar but waiting to see what comes of the P&C Brush.

Pre: Occams Lime
Brush: Duke 2 minus three or four more hairs
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Absolution
Blade: Lone Wolf, 6/8 full hollow square.
Scent: PAA - Douglas Fir

Sublime - except the part where I get the shits with the awesome brush falling apart. Still waiting on Shaver Hut to reply to my warranty request. Bloody glad I got it for a steal in their sale. Chubby tomorrow, so it might become an ornament yet.

Brush: Duke 2 - three more hairs

@Sxot it doesn't make any sense how can you possibly loose more hair from time to time from a Duke 2 while you face lather, because I don't have any issue with my Duke 3, Berkeley 46 & Chubby 2 all best badger and I do face lather I guess I'm very lucky.

@Sxot it doesn't make any sense how can you possibly loose more hair from time to time from a Duke 2 while you face lather, because I don't have any issue with my Duke 3, Berkeley 46 & Chubby 2 all best badger and I do face lather I guess I'm very lucky.

Not uncommon for a Simpsons brush unfortunately. I suppose that's price you pay for hand made... people make mistakes.

Not uncommon for a Simpsons brush unfortunately. I suppose that's price you pay for hand made... people make mistakes.

@Sxot true have you send an email directly to Simpsons because they can just replace the knot in you're Duke 2 handle, OR send the Duke 2 to Shavemac and have them replace a new knot with a Silvertip 2-band ;)

Pre: Occams Lime
Brush: Duke 2 minus three or four more hairs
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Absolution
Blade: Lone Wolf, 6/8 full hollow square.
Scent: PAA - Douglas Fir

Sublime - except the part where I get the shits with the awesome brush falling apart. Still waiting on Shaver Hut to reply to my warranty request. Bloody glad I got it for a steal in their sale. Chubby tomorrow, so it might become an ornament yet.
Every dealing I've had with Shaverhut (including warranty request) has been great so hopefully this will settled soon.

Razor: - Rockwell 6s #2
Blade: - Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Brush: - Simpsons Chubby 2 Best Badger
Soap/Cream: - Tabac Soap
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Tabac Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Tabac Cologne

G'day I'll be shaving this afternoon before I go to Lodge tonight as I said before I was going to start my next shave with plate #3 using the Rockwell sorry about that, I thought it would be best to wait until I place in a new fresh blade in first before I start using plate #3 that way I can give you my feedback sorry about that ;)

Cheers. ;)(y)

5SQ4nS4-9VEtsdmuw9JhGLPkkCQjJ6H7ZbBbscCesscEUPNBmTyIVTYjYjfsH2ut9wHlmToYMq4SJxAPBzI8fmCgQ7HCl7Z3avrrTevBGrWoLqKtfdlWvj0D8augmwcPZlNn_Bwggf7ANwf5NpjCLfcjbqziaaFSSAUufwSjJEJxl8ERIjz3v-J2SoFENv5En7gAcJMp8VJULsl8usgulTmty2Q0MrP46du1jZ_HxAojQ3_H3f-Nv1Bx7ach4V_3aOLsN169_Y-W4boc7yc6zkRTrbJiGOcHfAkXfVMOd3LyBMIFjgq2L6FbYhHL4nfBP9Pd2FWzuk9iAUwzYRaAcPLZSDAAxyraQtNvCwBqlc1oygRTzomQ8wqGzX1uWgJ12gzjmJVVAZYZiNpX_bbJ7TNpMy79EcDo1J_xXUzu7OSlEJm4IYqRZdFR8JRSxnVpY4-8XLHDwmb9mYdW_qnUzZocpgzA9WSYojGnic2jbhuh-SL6RmxB10dIPnvJxgDaohOgMmDtsEl1s5319QveMdoUY7W6eFWosVZ3GSsBEBORayTy311Ds5aMjbZXXRXu1A_2-i3tG58NiAqKifbJKQRhK_z6ntA=w351-h334-no

Face Wash : Menthol Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Razorock Peppermint Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Razor : Gloria "Smiling" straight
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Monkey see, monkey do...

While looking through all the SOTD entries a couple of days ago, I was nicely surprised to see that @Reegs had shaved with a Hoshi Tombo razor. It turned out it was a Hoshi Tombo 8000. The first Japanese razor I ever bought was a Hoshi Tombo 8000, so choosing it for today's shave was a no-brainer. I remember being smitten with the fact that it was a blend of Western and Japanese design philosophies - an exotic and beautiful thing. It turned out to be the start of a prolonged adventure with Japanese and Western shaving implements, so it carries a fair bit of sentimental value for me.

Fabulous lather from the SV Arctic Tundra and Plisson brush. The brush face lathered surprisingly well for a synthetic, and set me up perfectly for a good shave. And it was a good shave indeed! One thing I've noticed is that as my honing skills improve, so does the overall quality of my shaves. I freshened up the edge of the Hoshi Tombo last night, and it ended up superbly sharp. 2 passes to a DFS+ shave left me happy.

I couldn't resist a squirt or 3 of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, a brilliant fragrance that I know will stay with me all day.

Wonder how the 5 blade cartridge, canned lather crowd get their days off to a fantastic start? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.