Status
Not open for further replies.
1ef5675da27943ee179d2a5d0b652aa5.jpg

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Epsilon Brown Horse 26mm
Soap: B&M Vetyver Santal
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: GSB
Scotch: Bruichladdich Octomore 5.1 (not part of the shave)

First actual go with the Epsilon, been just lathering it to break it in ever since I got it. Sure doesn't hold a lot of water, definitely have to try the wet method with this brush, I used load/hydrate method today. Results were satisfactory, but wasn't it's best. Lather shot here. I know B&M can be even better than this. Slowly, I'll get the hang of the horse.

One thing I must say with this brush is DO NOT press it against your face to splay it and rub. The brush is an interesting one, it seems like it has two layers of hair. If you just used the tips, it's very soft and comfortable with an ungodly amount of backbone. If you do press it down to the second layer of hair and cause it to splay, ouch it's quite scratchy. It's like a little wolverine living in there.

Shave was good, though I find that it's harder to get the sense of where the blade angle is with the iKon, as opposed to the Standard. Achieved a smooth shave none the less. Finished off with the usual suspects, with the exception of the Eufros ASB. The best balm in my collection. The Haitian Vetiver smells like a well peated Islay, does make me want to pour some for tonight. The ASB did a good job calming down the skin, moisturised it, and leave my face feeling soft and supple. Just a spot above The Stray Whiskers balm for me, which is my #2 balm.

Happy shaving everyone.

@silver are you finding that the Standard is your favourite razor now as it sounds like it's swiftly becoming what you measure all other razors against. I've been following your progress with the Standard closely in preparation to giving mine its first run in a month or so once I can bare puting the Kami down.

Last edited:
@silver are you finding that the Standard is your favourite razor now as it sounds like it's swiftly becoming what you measure all other razors against. I've been following your progress with the Standard closely in preparation to giving mine its first run in a month or so once I can bare outing the Kami down.

It is! It's my favourite because of just how much you can feel the blade, it's as if it's a straight razor, but not.
I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. I am amazed with how much I like it. As per @Lifes a Peach recommendation, I shall try the Feathers with them tomorrow.
And also, good lather is half the shave. I shouldn't be worried about using too much soaps. Makes a huge difference to me. Overload >> Underload. @alfredus wise words.

Another top shave tonight. Got a blade only from Russia and made a set of scales this afternoon.
Soap: My Stearic/Coconut/Lanolin brew
Razor: a blade from Russia honed on Arkansas stones and finished on Coticule.
DFS+
Finally a picture from you - and it includes the great Alfred E Neumann (or does he have a different name in English?) - fantastic @bald as !

Thursday 9 June 2016

238492d1465479028-sun-june-05th-sat-june-11th-sotd-09062016.jpg

Shaving with a Snake

Yet another snake shave, yet another superbly smooth shave. I am so glad I took with me this Mastro Livi Snake Razor in my monthly business trip. I like everything about this straight razor, and I must admit the "snake point" - or "Mastro Livi Point", as it was conceived by him - is incredibly efficient and precise in shaving the hardest spots of my face. A very special mention to the Palmolive Shave Cream: a super cheap soap however delivering an excellent shave and performance. At least here in Italy it is very easy to get a tube for less than one euro and - at a such competitive price - it is one of the very best soap around, one you can trust for its reliability and smooth result.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Palmolive Shave Cream
  • Brush: Omega Professional Brush #48
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

Yes, @alfredus, in English he is also the great Alfred E Neumann. Gosh I have good memories of Mad Magazine - Spy vs Spy etc :)

Thanks for the nostalgia @bald as!!
My favourite cartoonist from Mad was Don Martin. No doubt the PC police would stifle him in current times, but he was a legend - had me in tears of laughter on many occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor: EJ DE86
Blade: 7OC Black (2)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: WSP Rustic Shave Soap (Barbershop)
After: TN Dickinson WH with Aloe Vera

Took a change from the Voskhod and tried out the 7 O'clock Black. Definitely sharp, I've had more weepers off this than other blades I've used. Don't feel them, just see the red spots appear :(. It s not as comfortable as the Voskod though.

Also the WSP is starting to burn on the 3rd pass, so I'll take a break from that - not sure what it is, but something in this soap is causing me a problem at the moment. Skipped the cleanup steps today, still had a decent shave.

I wanted to wait until tomorrow to try my new Thin Blades BUT couldn't resist.

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Gillette Thin Blade V-1 1975
Pre-Shave: Proraso Sandalwood
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum + TABAC Original aftershave balm

4 pass + touch up for a BSS result, a bit too close for my taste but I only have myself to blame for that...shoulda stopped at 3 pass.
Anyway, the blade was sharp and smooth, as expected from a Thin blade from the 70's. It's day and night, in comparison of the brown Thin blades from the 60s.
A source of mine informed me that these should be teflon coated, even if it wasn't promoted, Gillette was even coating regular Blue Blades by that time.

FhhEnPS.png

20160610_075350 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce soap and Proraso Red preshave cream
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather(1)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: PannaCrema San Francesco
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch hazel and Musgo Real Orange Amber cologne
Three pass shave of great pleasure. The Standard and Feather combination easily mowed down my two day growth with little effort. The PannaCrema soap provided a wonderful lather, this is a great soap. These soaps are no longer being produced but the company has not stopped making soap. They make the very expensive Nuavia line of soaps and will be producing a new line of soaps called Pure2o. The result was one of the closest and most comfortable shaves I have ever had. Near perfect. One tiny nick on my adams apple was the only blemish.

Status
Not open for further replies.