Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday 5 January 2016

223685d1452010143-sun-january-03rd-sat-january-09th-sotd-05012016.jpg

Traveling with a CarboInox

On the road again and this time I brought with me this Mastro Livi CarboInox, the first one of the three I have in my collection and made with this special Mastro Livi Damsascus by combining temperable stainless steel and Mastro Livi carbon Damascus. The result is of absolute beauty: the charm of blue twisted Damascus and the bronze colored stainless steel give the blade an absolutely elegant and classy style. For this shave I also used one of the most classic shaving soap around - Palmolive Classic Stick - very cheap and however excellent for its price, and this Mennen Blue, an aftershave I recently bought in Belgium and it turned out to be an excellent product, lovely fragrance and cooling effect. Very good shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Palmolive Classic Shaving Stick
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush #48
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Blue

9e5be0608b43bf3c093e66077e49a713.jpg

Proraso Red Pre
Epsilon Badger
Speick Stick
Ikon 101 on Mongoose handle
GSB (1)
Fine Fresh Vetiver

First try of this brush loaned by a friend. It's certainly very dense with lots of backbone. Maybe a bit too dense for me and I think maybe rubbing the soap stick on my face didn't leave enough soap behind for this knot. A second layer on the second pass seemed to be enough.

Yes I thought this was an old one. It doesn't have much scent but it's very good soap. I was lucky that a guy in the UK had a connection in Italy who found a few well stored blocks.

20160106_093259 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Shavemac 177 Black
Soap: Soap Commander Courage
Post Shave: Thayers Witchhazel Lemon and Soap Commander Courage Balm
Two pass shave with a clean up under the chin area for an irritation free and smooth shave. The Soap commander is a lightly scented soap(this one smells a bit like Chanel Bleu) but is a very good performer. Lathers up easily to produce a slick and cushiony lather. The matching balm goes on to leave your face non greasy but feeling soft. Slight menthol hit for ten minutes.

Seeing as I now have all the necessary, I thought I'd post about my FIRST DE shave.

Preshave: wash with a few drops of Dr Bronner's liquid soap, then hot towel for 3 mins, leaving the soap on.
Brush: Wahl Silvertip Pure Badger - Xmas present from the wife
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Derby
Post Shave: Anthony Witchhazel/Aloe/Mint and Mount Romance Larikin aftershave balm

I learned that I have to be very careful and NOT twitch my bottom lip - trying to stretch the skin more - when the blade is just so......

Still, only the one knick, 3 passes and not a bad shave for a first go IMHO.

I look forward to many more.

20160107_zpsi2ipg6t1.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Pre-Shave Soap
Pre-Shave : Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band Silvertip
Soap : Mystic Water - Egyptian Dragon
Razor : Wolfman WR1-SB
Blade : Polsilver IR [1]
After Shave : Fine Platinum AS

Today's shave was about trying a few new things. After the obligatory facewash, I used the Alt Innsbruck pre-shave emulsion instead of the mighty Myrsol Emulsion. It's great having the Stray Whisker open for business, and stocking some classy products we haven't had local access to. The Alt Innsbruck was quite a change - the instructions advise applying it to a dry face, so that I did. First thing I noticed was that the coverage is really impressive - a very small quantity indeed (well less than a 5c bit) provided ample coverage of the entire face. Next was the smell - not the Alt Innsbruck fragrance many of us know and love, but an unusual strongly "soapy" kind of fragrance. Not in the least offensive, but not a major drawcard either. Then the amazing absorption of the emulsion into the skin : in less than a minute there was barely a trace of the product left, but my skin felt amazing. Really supple and moisturised, ready for lathering and shaving.

Then onto the lather. The Mystic Water came via a private group buy for a few Melbourne and Adelaide members, organised by the wonderful @Lifes a Peach (Thanks mate!!!). All of the soaps I received were really fresh - a soft "croap" texture and really fresh essential and fragrance oils. The net result for me was that the soap seemed much easier and quicker to lather than my previous experiences indicated. With a sumptuous coating of lather, the shave was an absolute doddle for the Wolfman, and totally comfortable for me. I should note that I think the Alt Innsbruck emulsion helped a lot with the comfort factor. It's destined to be a regular part of my routine from here on. One XTG pass plus minimal touching up was sufficient for a very satisfying DFS. To finish off, I used my home-enhanced Fine Platinum AS. My local pharmacist got me in a 25gm container of menthol crystals the other day, and I selected the Platinum as a great candidate for a menthol turbocharge. It turned out to be a great success - the menthol was quite strong, but integrated perfectly with the fragrance of the Aftershave. A very satisfying 25 minute face buzz :)

All in all, a really enjoyable shave!

Sharp: Schick Type E2 / Personna Injector (1)
Slip: B&M Latha / Omega S10108
Soothe: Nivea ASB

I'm enjoying this razor so much that I'm seriously considering, upon returning home, doing the Mon-Fri 'meat 'n potatoes' shaves with the Injector and leaving the straight shaves to the weekend. It's that good.

20160107_SOTDS_zpskarxkuse.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another day in paradise with my tiny brush. Life is seriously good...

20160107_zpsi2ipg6t1.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Pre-Shave Soap
Pre-Shave : Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band Silvertip
Soap : Mystic Water - Egyptian Dragon
Razor : Wolfman WR1-SB
Blade : Polsilver IR [1]
After Shave : Fine Platinum AS

Today's shave was about trying a few new things. After the obligatory facewash, I used the Alt Innsbruck pre-shave emulsion instead of the mighty Myrsol Emulsion. It's great having the Stray Whisker open for business, and stocking some classy products we haven't had local access to. The Alt Innsbruck was quite a change - the instructions advise applying it to a dry face, so that I did. First thing I noticed was that the coverage is really impressive - a very small quantity indeed (well less than a 5c bit) provided ample coverage of the entire face. Next was the smell - not the Alt Innsbruck fragrance many of us know and love, but an unusual strongly "soapy" kind of fragrance. Not in the least offensive, but not a major drawcard either. Then the amazing absorption of the emulsion into the skin : in less than a minute there was barely a trace of the product left, but my skin felt amazing. Really supple and moisturised, ready for lathering and shaving.

Then onto the lather. The Mystic Water came via a private group buy for a few Melbourne and Adelaide members, organised by the wonderful @Lifes a Peach (Thanks mate!!!). All of the soaps I received were really fresh - a soft "croap" texture and really fresh essential and fragrance oils. The net result for me was that the soap seemed much easier and quicker to lather than my previous experiences indicated. With a sumptuous coating of lather, the shave was an absolute doddle for the Wolfman, and totally comfortable for me. I should note that I think the Alt Innsbruck emulsion helped a lot with the comfort factor. It's destined to be a regular part of my routine from here on. One XTG pass plus minimal touching up was sufficient for a very satisfying DFS. To finish off, I used my home-enhanced Fine Platinum AS. My local pharmacist got me in a 25gm container of menthol crystals the other day, and I selected the Platinum as a great candidate for a menthol turbocharge. It turned out to be a great success - the menthol was quite strong, but integrated perfectly with the fragrance of the Aftershave. A very satisfying 25 minute face buzz :)

All in all, a really enjoyable shave!

What a beautiful setup @Draco Noir - I wonder if Alt Innsbruck or the MW soap or both were responsible for the comfort factor? I think you should investigate further ;)

What a beautiful setup @Draco Noir - I wonder if Alt Innsbruck or the MW soap or both were responsible for the comfort factor? I think you should investigate further ;)

Agree completely @alfredus - I guess I need a truly crappy soap to put as much of the protection load on the Alt Innsbruck as possible. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or nominations for an epically bad soap? (Other than sending you my bottle of Alt Innsbruck, that is) :confused:

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre-Shave
: Musgo Real Glyce soap
Razor: iKon DLC Slant
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Simpson Special 1
Lather: Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango
Post-shave: Alum, Thayers alcohol free Witch Hazel, Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango Balm

First time with the Arctic Mango and absolutely loved it. Just the right amount of menthol for me. Once again the Simpson Special blows me away with how good it is. It was my first brush and I went larger before really understanding how to make lather. It is more than enough brush for anyone's needs.

A frustrating shave though. Today's shave was meant to be all about pressure. Or lack of it. I'm still learning my new iKon so wanted the goal was to feel no pressure as I shaved. Which I totally succeeded in. A great shave, for three passes. So, so close. Then. Do I go for it? Can I get a BBS? My first one? Even with the crop circle like swirling grain on my neck?
F*** it. Let's go for it!

MISTAKE!!!

Turned a great shave into a so so one. My neck was flashing its warning red immediately. Alum stung like all hell.

My next shave I will leave a note for myself on the mirror. KNOW YOUR LIMITS!!!

I'm enjoying this razor so much that I'm seriously considering, upon returning home, doing the Mon-Fri 'meat 'n potatoes' shaves with the Injector and leaving the straight shaves to the weekend. It's that good.

I've been waiting on a Translucent Arkansas to arrive so in the mean time I've been using my Schick SE adjustable and I could concur and easily use the Schick Mon-Fri and the cut throat on the weekends - for a little while :) I have plenty of shave ready blades but I'm going to do an experiment comparing my current favourite blade with my existing hones to one of the same blades on an Arkansas progression.

Agree completely @alfredus - I guess I need a truly crappy soap to put as much of the protection load on the Alt Innsbruck as possible. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or nominations for an epically bad soap? (Other than sending you my bottle of Alt Innsbruck, that is) :confused:
I was more thinking along the lines of a shave with MW without the Alt Innsbruck for starters? As for crappy (drying) I can only suggest the one starting with A and ending with rko - sorry that I can't help you there but I'm sure someone else will be generous :D :D :D

A frustrating shave though. Today's shave was meant to be all about pressure. Or lack of it. I'm still learning my new iKon so wanted the goal was to feel no pressure as I shaved. Which I totally succeeded in. A great shave, for three passes. So, so close. Then. Do I go for it? Can I get a BBS? My first one? Even with the crop circle like swirling grain on my neck?
F*** it. Let's go for it!

MISTAKE!!!

Turned a great shave into a so so one. My neck was flashing its warning red immediately. Alum stung like all hell.

My next shave I will leave a note for myself on the mirror. KNOW YOUR LIMITS!!!

Something doesn't seem right there, @Psmith - an Ikon DLC Slant loaded with a Polsilver SI is a brilliant combination for me, and I don't need 3 full passes for a BBS result. It may be worth trying a bit of advice I was given by a kind soul here a few months ago : forget the opening WTG pass and fly right into XTG. It works a treat for me (as long as the blade is sharp), and saves a full pass worth of skin irritation. The other thing that may be worth double checking is your shave angle - when you have the angle right, the razor should give quite a bit of audible feedbak. It's one of the louder DEs I have tried, and I find that feedback invaluable to make sure my technique is spot on.

Anyway, good luck with it - I'm sure that you'll find more comfort and more efficiency from your wonderful setup :)

Something doesn't seem right there, @Psmith - an Ikon DLC Slant loaded with a Polsilver SI is a brilliant combination for me, and I don't need 3 full passes for a BBS result. It may be worth trying a bit of advice I was given by a kind soul here a few months ago : forget the opening WTG pass and fly right into XTG. It works a treat for me (as long as the blade is sharp), and saves a full pass worth of skin irritation. The other thing that may be worth double checking is your shave angle - when you have the angle right, the razor should give quite a bit of audible feedbak. It's one of the louder DEs I have tried, and I find that feedback invaluable to make sure my technique is spot on.

Anyway, good luck with it - I'm sure that you'll find more comfort and more efficiency from your wonderful setup :)
Thanks for the tip on the XTG.
I think the issue is that I'm still getting used to the weight of this razor. First SS razor and I've only used it 3 times. But a much better shave today until I decided on an extra ATG on my neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.