Status
Not open for further replies.

Brush:
Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough
Razor: Vintage Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

The comments from @bald as and the lack of a Kirby as @filobiblic has them all prompted me to look to something 'new'. Well at least something I've not used before.

The Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor is from the 1960s, the era of cool designs and cutting edge materials. Plastics were SOOOOO groovy then! This thread gives some history about the razor and its designer.

It is known as a mild razor but I think I prefer the term 'comfortable'. Sure, it is not entirely a BBS shave but certainly more than SAS and probably what I would consider a DFS. Only slight ATG stubble.

I used the Personna Lab Blues which are my 'reference' blade and they seemed to go quite well. The D R Harris was perfectly acceptable and the Myrsol a no sting finish that left my face feeling fine.

I think I'm going to have to team this razor with a vintage Wilkie, my Old Spice 'Herbal' and some vintage Yardley so I can feel comfortable and cool as I head off to work -

Fasion.JPG

The Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor is from the 1960s, the era of cool designs and cutting edge materials. Plastics were SOOOOO groovy then! This thread gives some history about the razor and its designer.

It is known as a mild razor but I think I prefer the term 'comfortable'. Sure, it is not entirely a BBS shave but certainly more than SAS and probably what I would consider a DFS. Only slight ATG stubble.

Nice shave all round @Mark1966, and wonderful choice of razor. The sticky is certainly one of the overlooked gems of razor design, with that amazing polymer handle that gets grippier when it gets wet. To my mind, it's also a really handsome piece of work with its smooth flowing lines and elegantly crafted TTO head. Interested in your choice of vintage Wilkie as a blade to try with it. It certainly makes sense : Wilkinson didn't pay big money to have a razor designed for Gillette blades. For what it's worth, I tried a Polsilver SI in mine, with an immediate improvement in closeness of shave. Will be watching with interest to see how you go with the Wilkie blades :)

Good luck and happy shaving (y)

Nice shave all round @Mark1966, and wonderful choice of razor. The sticky is certainly one of the overlooked gems of razor design, with that amazing polymer handle that gets grippier when it gets wet. To my mind, it's also a really handsome piece of work with its smooth flowing lines and elegantly crafted TTO head. Interested in your choice of vintage Wilkie as a blade to try with it. It certainly makes sense : Wilkinson didn't pay big money to have a razor designed for Gillette blades. For what it's worth, I tried a Polsilver SI in mine, with an immediate improvement in closeness of shave. Will be watching with interest to see how you go with the Wilkie blades :)

Good luck and happy shaving (y)
Agreed. It's now my only vintage razor, personally I think it works best with vintage Wilky blades or Feathers.

Thanks guys.

I always use a Personna Lab Blue for my first shave with a new razor. I was wondering as I shaved how a Feather would go.

The Schick Krona, another overlooked razor, underwhelmed me but there is something about this one ...

I think the Krona is a great beginners when pressure is still an issue, yet in time, it's too mild!

Soap: i Coloniali mango soap
Brush: SOC 2 band
Razor: Gillette #58
Blade: Dorco Prime (1)
Post-shave: STM balm

First shave with a Dorco Prime Platinum blade. Yep, I'm impressed. Very sharp but also smooth. Paired perfectly with the 58. Longevity will be the thing to look for though.

My second or third shave with the i Coloniali mango. I'm not sure I like the terra-cotta container much - it's small and isn't super conducive to loading up. But the scent of the soap is excellent. Glide is pretty good, but no B&M.

Loving the SOC too. Great brush and excellent value.

20160111_073755 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven Emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Mystic Water The Brown Windsor
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Clubman Pinaud
Three pass shave not because I needed it but because I was having so much fun. The Mystic Water soap continues to impress. Start out dry and add water as you go and the rewards are immense. Loads and loads of superb lather. The cinnamon and cloves are easily identified but there is a lot more happening. Most pleasant scent. Post shave really didn't need much as this soap is just so good. I think I may be raving a bit.

Nice relaxed shave this morning....

Brush: Plissitane
Soap: Sample of Catie's Bubbles 'Le Marche du Rasage' via @SydBJW (at least I think it was Le Marche du Rasage)
Razor: Fatboy E3 (5)
Blade: SPOILER! (5)

Awesome lather from the soap, although I found it too soft so left the lid off for a few days and it firmed up nicely. Loads easier now!

Otherwise, it was like buttah.

Nice relaxed shave this morning....

Brush: Plissitane
Soap: Sample of Catie's Bubbles 'Le Marche du Rasage' via @SydBJW (at least I think it was Le Marche du Rasage)
Razor: Fatboy E3 (5)
Blade: SPOILER! (5)

Awesome lather from the soap, although I found it too soft so left the lid off for a few days and it firmed up nicely. Loads easier now!

Otherwise, it was like buttah.

Was the scent a bit like Coolwater then you have the right soap :)

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre:
Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: D.R Harris Arlington
Razor: iKon DLC Slant
Blade: Feather (1)

It took a lot of self control not to use the Fatboy that arrived on Friday. This is my 5th shave with the slant and I feel that I still need to master it.
A Feather blade, focus and a lighter grip helped give a DFS with very little irritation.

20160111_SOTDS_zpszo9hexfd.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

It is really superb to be limited in the choice of tools and focus on what you have. I finally managed to get my lathering technique with the synth to the point I'm happy with. Starting with a very dry brush, adding water in the loading phase is not much different. But in the lathering phase I open up the brush on my chin a bit and add the water into the brush. Else (when dipping etc.) I noticed how most of the water just flows down the side and not into the knot/lather.

The result was superb! Imagine your brush being an ice cream cone fully loaded with that beautiful glistering Gelato that very slowly glides down the side...and of course I can't complain about the surroundings :D

Slick as @stillshunter selling sheep stations!

That's the best way to describe today's shave and oh boy was it unconventional! No brush, yes you heard right, NO brush was used!
Feather AS-D2S with a (3) shark blade, Col Conk Amber soap and Thayers eye watering menth heads edition witch hazel.
That's all I used.
Used the bar of Col Conk in the palm of my hand to rub thoroughly over my face, applied bare hand and vigorously massaged face, then shaved.
Repeat twice for xtg and atg and ended up with a low irritation dfs!
NO pic's!

Status
Not open for further replies.