Status
Not open for further replies.
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red
Bengall
Witch Hazel
Viet Fougere
Musk Oil

Great shave with the old straight today leaving me feeling good. Kids have a concert/dance tonight so I need to look handsome for all the ladies.
Wearing my good clothes,usually reserved for funerals,weddings or back when I was going to family court.
We are usually only out at night after training and is rare we are out otherwise.
Got my nice duds on,clean and smelly and look pretty damn fine.

BvT2dzk.jpg

Rocnel Sailor Adjustable
Feather
Simpson CH2 2-Band Silvertip
Eufros Rosa Bourbon
Chatillon Lux Rose Santal
Now that’s a beautiful shave! Love the look of the sailor.

Date: 20 September 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- A&E ~ Grecian Horse
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R96 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #3 end of life
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Lucky Tiger Face Moisturizer

I'm totally shocked the vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) has worn out a lot fast using the Muhle Rocca razor which doesn't make any sense to me at all, anybody owns a Muhle Rocca with Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) what are you're thought doesn't play very well together.

Last edited:
SOTD :(
Soap (No Name Will Be Mentioned)
RW6c
Wilkie
Vie Long Silvertip
Captains Choice Sandlewood

Not mentioning the soap in question as unlike maybe some, not into shaming and bagging by name

I hope this is a one one off as you will see from the lather shot no problem with lathering however, that is where is finished applied for the first pass of 3 and really struggled to get it going on the face I mean it really did not want to co-operate so much so after the first pass I literally had to despite attempting a second lather had to wash off and make the switch to another regular favourite soap real quick just to turn the shave around which thank god it did, phew I thought what the hell happened to the lather in that soap I started with. It just failed massive time. It was like buying a so called sport car and being left at the lights by pretty much a hot family sedan.
69dMz3K.jpg

SOTD :(
Soap (No Name Will Be Mentioned)
RW6c
Wilkie
Vie Long Silvertip
Captains Choice Sandlewood

Not mentioning the soap in question as unlike maybe some, not into shaming and bagging by name

I hope this is a one one off as you will see from the lather shot no problem with lathering however, that is where is finished applied for the first pass of 3 and really struggled to get it going on the face I mean it really did not want to co-operate so much so after the first pass I literally had to despite attempting a second lather had to wash off and make the switch to another regular favourite soap real quick just to turn the shave around which thank god it did, phew I thought what the hell happened to the lather in that soap I started with. It just failed massive time. It was like buying a so called sport car and being left at the lights by pretty much a hot family sedan.
69dMz3K.jpg

That lather looks seriously dehydrated, lather like that makes for a good photo but a lousy shave unfortunately mate.

I can only imagine how bad that must have been. Hydrating your lathers is one of the most important factors, too little water will leave you in a world of disappointment and hurt which you will learn as you migrate from the more economical options that typically form your everyday shaves and move to more specialized, artisan products.

It reminds me of when the Barristers Reserve base launched, so many people struggled with it and it was all down to a lack of sufficient hydration.

I don't think there is any reason to allude to something without honestly naming it, if you are struggling to get a good lather people can help you. We can carefully examine your loading and shaving technique point by point to see what is causing you the problem and more importantly see if anyone else has experienced the same problem with the same product - we can test your claims! :)

Last edited:
That lather looks seriously dehydrated, lather like that makes for a good photo but a lousy shave unfortunately mate.

I can only imagine how bad that must have been. Hydrating your lathers is one of the most important factors, too little water will leave you in a world of disappointment and hurt which you will learn as you migrate from the more economical options that typically form your everyday shaves and move to more specialized, artisan products.

It reminds me of when the Barristers Reserve base launched, so many people struggled with it and it was all down to a lack of sufficient hydration.

I don't think there is any reason to allude to something without honestly naming it, if you are struggling to get a good lather people can help you. We can carefully examine your loading and shaving technique point by point to see what is causing you the problem and more importantly see if anyone else has experienced the same problem with the same product - we can test your claims! :)
Thanks @todras it may just as well been another reason but I'll move on as with experience had with anything from top shelf $100 to almost like hand soap soaps I have had in the past the lathering was as said no issue maybe just the batch in this case maybe. But I'll reserve on naming heard to many who have done that and it's even put friends out of business.

Thanks @todras it may just as well been another reason but I'll move on as with experience had with anything from top shelf $100 to almost like hand soap soaps I have had in the past the lathering was as said no issue maybe just the batch in this case maybe. But I'll reserve on naming heard to many who have done that and it's even put friends out of business.

I (sort of) understand all that completely. Don't be afraid to call out if you need a hand though, we are all here to help.
the lathering was as said no issue maybe just the batch in this case maybe. But I'll reserve on naming heard to many who have done that and it's even put friends out of business.

This is worth examining a little more closely I feel.

You are again alluding to something but seem unwilling to let us all examine it closely which tends to lead people to the conclusion that there is some subtext to what you are saying, without explicitly letting it be scrutinized. If you are struggling we can help you, but I think its better if you are upfront and open about the product rather than obfuscating for reasons known only to yourself.

If a product is a good product, I cannot see how it could possibly 'go out of business' if the community examines the lathering issues you are personally having with it it.....That idea seems preposterous frankly.

Last edited:
2dvli83.jpg

Karve 'C' w/ Perma-Sharp (1)
Semouge 830
Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Soap
Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Splash and EdT
TSW After Balm (shave was a bit rough)

Awesome sunny day scent.

Just to piggy back off @todras comment about the hydration, I purposely held back with the water today because I had been feeling as the shave progressed my lathers had been getting a bit to wet (face lathering). And yeah the shave was a bit rough. Really lacked slickness.

Just to piggy back off @todras comment about the hydration, I purposely held back with the water today because I had been feeling as the shave progressed my lathers had been getting a bit to wet (face lathering). And yeah the shave was a bit rough. Really lacked slickness.

I under hydrated the Icarus soap base thinking it was like the regular bison tallow on my first shave, major mistake as it's as thirsty as. It was as dry as a nuns between passes.

I (sort of) understand all that completely. Don't be afraid to call out if you need a hand though, we are all here to help.

This is worth examining a little more closely I feel.

You are again alluding to something but seem unwilling to let us all examine it closely which tends to lead people to the conclusion that there is some subtext to what you are saying, without explicitly letting it be scrutinized. If you are struggling we can help you, but I think its better if you are upfront and open about the product rather than obfuscating for reasons known only to yourself.

If a product is a good product, I cannot see how it could possibly 'go out of business' if the community examines the lathering issues you are personally having with it it.....That idea seems preposterous frankly.

It's all good thanks though

Squadron Soap September

Pre-shave: [Long] Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Tim Keech Memorial Auction 2018 LE shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Tim Keech Memorial Auction 2018 LE aftershave splash
Fragrance: None

So good to be home!

Squadron Soap September

Pre-shave: [Long] Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Tim Keech Memorial Auction 2018 LE shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Tim Keech Memorial Auction 2018 LE aftershave splash
Fragrance: None

So good to be home!

Welcome back @Mark1966...I trust it was good to use your own bathroom again....

JbtWvOql.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb MnM
Brush: 19mm Vie-Long 4312 Black Horse
Razor: Heljestrand Mk10
AS: Pb The Black Spruce
I had lathered the Vie-Long last night to deal with the worst funky new brush odour which as @bald as suggested wasn't too bad so it really didn't interfere with this mornings shave at all. This is my third horse brush and off one use I'd say it polls 2nd (Vie-Long Barber style horse brush currently in poll position of horse brushes). I found it really nice to use. With the loft being so long it lacks a little backbone but certainly not to the point of detracting from lathering effectiveness in a significant way. It's soft and luxurious with a very small amount of scritch that you expect from horse.
Because I bowl lather I have to be careful not to knock the metal ferrule against the bowl sides so as not to chip or break the shave bowl. Thought never occurred to me until I was ringing the shave bowl bell.:)
For $25 delivered I'm very happy with the brush.
Nice shave off the Heljestrand, though I did pull out the Alum block for one nick. I think I've been playing with DE's too much lately and need to refresh the muscle memory.

Late to the party but my shave last night was so nice. The new soap I recently made has settled down already and is not "quite" so drying. I realise I over did the clay and silk additions and yet :) "I haven't noticed it dulling my blade" :) but the skin feel the next day is truly superb. Because of the clay it is a very thirsty soap.

Pre - Hot towels
Soap - mine
Razor - Fisher - Select 6/8"
Brush - Semogue 830 Boar
Post - My post shave oil. - A minuscule smear.

Late to the party but my shave last night was so nice. The new soap I recently made has settled down already and is not "quite" so drying. I realise I over did the clay and silk additions and yet :) "I haven't noticed it dulling my blade" :) but the skin feel the next day is truly superb. Because of the clay it is a very thirsty soap.

Pre - Hot towels
Soap - mine
Razor - Fisher - Select 6/8"
Brush - Semogue 830 Boar
Post - My post shave oil. - A minuscule smear.

Innovation right there - shave soap and clay mask in one........you're probably the best looking old rooster in Adelaide with that skin now, right?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.