Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
uJjmqsGl.jpg

Nice way to warm up on a stupidly cold morning in Melbourne!
Loads of slick lather and the C plate again.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash and balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

Winter has arrived in CBR

sHgGDf3l.jpg

Thiers Issard, Full Hollow, 6/8
Al's Shaving Cream, Goodfellas
Simfix SF1
Earworm: Fake Empire - The National
Two passes for a DFS. Love this razor. I face lathered with the synthetic and got some good lather going, although I am not a fan of having to add water to the brush constantly and then having it run down my neck. I guess I just need more practise with the synths.

DIY lemon myrtle pre shave oil
Rockwell 6C w/Polsilver
Yaqi two band finest
Pb soap - Blue Tansy
Sacred Earth splash

Lovely scent on a fairly warm morning. I get notes of mint with a slightly herbal backing. Loved it!!

20190527-090543-1.jpg

DeGkZurl.jpg

Soap: Chiseled Face Zoologist - Civet
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Gem Junior 'The Parade'
Blade: GEM (5)
Civet is the most powdery shave soap I have used. Lathered very nicely and smelt great. Once lathered I was getting more floral bouquet scents which were present on the dry puck but not quite as pronounced. There is some notes coming off Civet that remind me of APR Alfredus Choice and since buying the EDP doesn't fit in the current budget I'd probably follow up with Afredus Choice AS but today I'm happily enjoying the post shave scent left by the soap. It also past the daughter approval test.(y)

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Group Captains Blend
Improved technique and a change of blade resulted in a noticeably smoother shave. Mowed down three days growth with ease for a DFS+.

Hi
What is the soap like? I know their bases are very good more asking about the scent.
I have a couple of their soaps and I'm very impressed. Lavender is not something I would normally go for, but after Squadrons Dispatch Rider I may have changed on that front. Was looking at this for the next purchase.
Cheers in advance.

In answer to this question I have been doing some reviews on this soap and a couple of other things around 4 other forums of late and this was the one I posted on this soap from Face Fat. This was based on a continuous 4 usage.

DAY4 - Take 4 - REVIEW
SOTD
Face Fat Grapefruit, Lavender and Bergamot
RW 6c
Gillette Nacet
Mondial Pre Shave
Badger Brush / Badger Boar 70/30 / Yaqi Barberpole Synth / Manchurian
So shaved with Face Fat for 4 days straight used 4 different brushes badger / badger boar / synth / Manchurian the purpose to evaluate consistency with different hairs.
I could have just done a first time review raved on as we usually do but how many times have you used a soap and found fault over a period of time I know I have.
Lathering is a piece of cake no issues there consistency and density as shown in a couple of test lathers shown previously is awesome.
I use the same set up aside from the brush in each shave. Prep is soak the brush couple minutes. To the container I add hot water and pour of excesses just so it moistens the soap. Soak the face with a hot towel and apply Mondial pre shave my favourite.
Application of the lather is as normal and really good.
Scent as mentioned in the case of this grapefruit / lavender / bergamont it’s all lavender with a hint of bergamont lacks on the grapefruit.
I always take 3 passes for my daily shave.
The lather for my skin is great. Sensitivity never really an issue for me no ill effects leaves the skin fresh and clean.
One noticeable thing for me was something I don’t often find & have found but not often and that is and some of you may concur, after a pass and little to no lather on the face we get tempted to have touch pass in some areas chin or jaw line usually. This is risky and tugs as it is dry not so with this soap. With just a little bit of soap on the razor edge I found that it was really forgiving in that respect, thus being able to just run over areas a bit more.
Now not that the next comment is to be detrimental to this soap but I have to say one hell of a lot of familiar trait to that of the Shaver Heaven Soaps in so many ways, if it was not that I knew what brand I was using then blindfold I would easily be mistaken if naming.
Is it a stand out soap YES, Why, in my use and opinion it has the qualities in all the regular aspects we want from a soap, quality, consistency, performance, fragrance, post feel, lather, application. Craig has done a great job with this one should be proud of the result he has achieved and in a Vegan blend.
In conclusion, should you add a tub of Face Fat Soap to your Shave Den, ABSOLUTELY it’s competitive in price and quality that puts it easily in the top 5 alternatives out there………………………
www.facefatshaving.com Craig Stanway

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash and balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

Fresh again today - went for the winter warmth!

sHgGDf3l.jpg

No time for a photo today, off to Sydney for a few hours.

Pre- shower
Soap- Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Brush- Yaqi Timber Wolf
Razor- Karve C
Blade- Polsilver
Post- APR Fougere Bourbon Rose

Another very comfortable shave that was under pressure since I got the dreaded “flight cancelled” alert overnight. On a later flight but same exit row seat and other travelling companions are on same flight so all good there.

The shave itself was great and one that one wishes to replicate often, which I have been doing the last few shaves.

tRD1tgd.jpg

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Gillette #16 kindly on loan from @Mark1966
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilon 2-band
Lather: APR Fenchurch
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another fantastic shave with the #16 and I can definitely confirm, that this is a wonderful razor!

The downside of today's shave was, that I knocked the brush into the water tap and the knot came out...still managed to get some magnificent APR lather and it makes for an interesting lather shot.

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.