Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t forget to order a first aid kit before you get started on the R41, makes sure your wife keeps her phone with her at all times, otherwise, the R41 can be a very nasty shaver if you’re not bloody careful cowboy.

images

What is that picture from? A Nightmare on Elm Street movie?

48hzkfDl.jpg

Soap: Pb Grapefruit - mentholated
Brush: Vulfix Travel
Razor: Game Changer .84P
Blade: Rapira (1)
AS: B&M Seville
Another hotel shave where the running tap keeps up with the leaking plug. At least they’re consistent.
I’d forgotten how nice the Grapefruit lather is, despite it not being so grapefruity after being in the sample container since last year. Pretty good for an away shave.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: R41 + Yaqi Handle
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Squadron Coronet Fougere

The R41 is a beast that gets the job done, efficient with lots of blade feel. The Rapira felt nice in this one also. A mate gave me his Coronet Fougere to try, excellent soap.

@astinus4 have no fear mate, its a great razor.. but i would suggest riding the cap with a light touch with a nice slick lather..

48789932353_faf8daa41f_b.jpg

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Wild West Brushworks "Amethyst Water"
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Claddagh
Razor: Karve CB Brass with D plate
Blade: Treet Platinum (2)

Third day running with a D plate in my Karve. I was rewarded with a CCS insofar as I knew i needed to avoid chasing the DFS/BBS i normally get. To me, the Treet blade on only its second use was shithouse! I should have swapped it mid-shave, but pressed on and i could feel it had turned to shit, so for this reason, i did very minimal touchups after my 2 passes. Absolutely no irritation nor any issues, other than some stubble i can feel under my chin (yet it is not visible), so to me this is a win.

I've banged on about how soft and cream-like this soap is, and as a result of loading from the tub, i had soap pushed up against the rim of the container, yet almost seeing the bottom of the tub at the same time. Rather than just smoosh this soft stuff back around, i've decided to take a scoop and load the brush from my bowl. It's been working very well.

Well that's 6 days of using a balm after every shave in a row. I don't think my face feels any different from when i use alcohol splashes, so i don't feel i have a preference either way so both will get some use as i deem fit, possibly together at times.

Razor: R41 + Yaqi Handle
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Squadron Coronet Fougere

The R41 is a beast that gets the job done, efficient with lots of blade feel. The Rapira felt nice in this one also. A mate gave me his Coronet Fougere to try, excellent soap.

@astinus4 have no fear mate, its a great razor.. but i would suggest riding the cap with a light touch with a nice slick lather..

48789932353_faf8daa41f_b.jpg
I had to do a double take as i thought you had a nice Wolfman there, mate!

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley, C plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Piacenza
Post: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Festivus Splash, Stirling Piacenza Balm
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-4839.jpg

Date:- 25 September 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Moka Express Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ L'Orange Verte
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Game Changer .84 / NOS Wizamet Super Iridium #9
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth 2019 P&C Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap 2018 Tim Keech Memorial Auction shaving soap
Razor: Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap 2018 Tim Keech Memorial Auction splash
Fragrance: N/A

It must be Spring? Surely time to change over my soaps and aftershaves this weekend.

Great soap, great brush, great shave - have a great day!

YK8tOuXl.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R5
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: B & M Reserve Lavender

The 6C made an appearance on a mild plate 5, got me a fantastic shave and was nice to have a smooth shave. I am not overly impressed with the boar at this stage, it should have been broken in by now but I just cant seem to produce much of a lather after the first pass and find myself reloading the brush with soap. I know it sounds like I didn’t load enough but when I compare it to my yaqi synthetic I get a lot more soap with the same amount of loading, and superior lather.

48795325003_6f8bd0e691_c.jpg

pSvxZRbl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: P&B Iceni
Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Jowika 8254
AS: APR Fougere Trois
Jnat turned up in the mail yesterday so ran the Jowika over it to see what I could get. Was very shaveable for first outing with the new stone. It's a very hard stone. A lot of rubbing and no genie.

Shower
Merkur 1904
Personna Lab Blue (4)
Omega 48
GFT Rose Cream
Nivea ASB
CK Obsession

The 6C made an appearance on a mild plate 5, got me a fantastic shave and was nice to have a smooth shave. I am not overly impressed with the boar at this stage, it should have been broken in by now but I just cant seem to produce much of a lather after the first pass and find myself reloading the brush with soap. I know it sounds like I didn’t load enough but when I compare it to my yaqi synthetic I get a lot more soap with the same amount of loading, and superior lather.

For me and Omega piggies, bigger is better. The Omega banded boars are much more broken in from the get go - the standard ones take ages by comparison (although the firmer feel is not a bad thing). The banding treatment does something to the bristle. If I was going again my choice in big boars would be the 20248 brush. But if you want an economical way to make and apply lather, a synth can't be beaten. But at least boars don't hog it like badgers (see what I did there?!). The boars give you a higher loft with more backbone and when the split tips get "wispy" after properly breaking in (yes it can take a long time), the face feel is very nice. My big boars are also a nice way to chew through the decades of soap I have in stock so I can start buying some more! Some soaps are better suited to boars though - particularly high structure versions.

The tub of dried out cream I used today (loaded like a puck as a result) is a much better fit with synth / badger though - I keep trying with the big boars but it just doesn't work as well. The surface of the tub is actually quite sticky, so I have noticed a few bristles getting pulled out of the boars as well, which is annoying and not something one had to deal with in synths and only rarely in badgers. So I find there are different soaps / creams that best suit different brushes, just like I find some blades that are horrible in my favourite razors, become excellent in razors that never usually work for me (as per today's combo). But if economy of soap is the goal, synths are the only game in town!

Status
Not open for further replies.