Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travel kit shave in another interesting hotel room. It seems I have a SPA in the room -

idVaTOmm.jpg
zvcOFQ2m.jpg

Hang on, what it this in the bathroom -

sDq9KsGl.jpg

Sorry, I have TWO spas in my room (neither of which got used). Some benefits to this trip, dinner with a friend last night -

jtxEQ3Al.jpg

Shave was OK.

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - 1460
Soap: Stirling – Executive Man
Razor/Blade: R41/Nacet
Post-shave: Stirling – WHAM/ExecMan Aftershave & Balm
Using this combination for the past 4-5 days celebrating return of the R41 after lending to @revhed for a trial.
Hit a sweet spot on Saturday afternoon must have been the lather as well as technique because I have not managed to repeat as good since.
I have started riding the cap just until there is no blade feel and applying a fair amount of pressure, not something you would generally do with a R41, and it has given a really comfortable and close shave without the usual irritation from aggressiveness. Given me a new appreciation for the R41 efficiency.

Good to hear mate.. its all about the lather and finding the right angle and pressure with the R41, its a fantastic razor might have to get mine out for tomorrows shave

Travel kit shave in another interesting hotel room. It seems I have a SPA in the room -

idVaTOmm.jpg
zvcOFQ2m.jpg

Hang on, what it this in the bathroom -

sDq9KsGl.jpg

Sorry, I have TWO spas in my room (neither of which got used). Some benefits to this trip, dinner with a friend last night -

jtxEQ3Al.jpg

Shave was OK.
Agent 66 - are you warming up for next season's 'The Bachelor"? ;)

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Razor: Yaqi DOC + RR bamboo handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
Pre: Shower + Nivea Face Wash
Soap: Caties Bubbles Irish Coffee
Post: Alum // Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Suavecito Menthol Vanishing Creme

A very rushed SOTD. The soap lathered up a treat with nice slickness and the scent is just what the doctor ordered first thing in the morning :) The DOC shaved smoothly and paired great with the Polsilver but half way through I noticed some significant 'Razor Burn' :X3: around the neck which was very surprising as I've never had similar reactions to the soap and I've used the razor/blade combo previously but either way not pleasant :( I guess I went a tad crazy with my strokes seeing as I hadn't had a shave in the last few days and must've added unnecessary pressure and very little patience...? Finished off with some Vanishing Creme and the menthol felt refreshing on the skin... Now off to take my misses and her niece to see some flowers at Floriade :cool: Happy shaves!

guzVQJk.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Scottish Fine Soaps Classic
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Super Iridium BN-84 (1)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, Musgo Real Aftershave Balm
Scent: Floris No 89

A wonderful shave this evening. I spotted the Scottish Fine Soaps puck/dish at a local Pharmacy yesterday at a ridiculously cheap price.
I'd heard good things about their bath soap, so thought I'd give it a go. As well as the ceramic dish, the package came in a beautiful presentation box more akin to housing an expensive watch. Well done, Scotland!
The soap is vegetable-based, with the fats being a blend of palm and coconut. The scent is what I would describe as fresh linen, with maybe a hint of sandalwood. Low strength and very pleasant. It lathered easily and produced a large volume of lather for the load. Once hydrated, it was slick and performed very well. Upon the completion of each shave, I cover my face with remnant lather for further skin conditioning as I clean up my razor and brush. I also use this as a test of the soap for skin sensitivity; this is where some lesser soaps can come unstuck via minor irritation. None whatsoever with this soap - it felt great on my freshly shaved skin for the half minute contact time. Post shave was also very nice. The one area that could be improved is residual slickness - not as good as those on my top shelf. However, on balance, a very good soap indeed.

I was also delighted with my first use of a Super Iridium BN-84. Very sharp yet smooth; an excellent match for the mid-aggressive Blackbird. Three passes, and I am absolutely BBS and grinning :D.

I also have this soap and enjoy it very much. It's a very pleasant scent and performs very well.

I got mine as a refill but that ceramic bowl looks awesome!

I also have this soap and enjoy it very much. It's a very pleasant scent and performs very well.

I got mine as a refill but that ceramic bowl looks awesome!

I also had a puck of Scottish fine but i cant remember if it was this line or something else. Either way it was useless - I couldn’t get anything decent out of it and ended up using it in the shower...

Edit: Just found this thread where I previously put my thoughts on this soap - it was the "Classic" line...

Last edited:
I also had a puck of Scottish fine but i cant remember if it was this line or something else. Either way it was useless - I couldn’t get anything decent out of it and ended up using it in the shower...

Edit: Just found this thread where I previously put my thoughts on this soap - it was the "Classic" line...

I think I was lucky enough not to get the dud soap. The one I have lathers up beautifully :)

Date:- 24 September 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Honeycomb (Blue) Synth. Tuxedo 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ L'Orange Verte
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'C' / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #13
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tabac original
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard

IMG-4838.jpg

Bring it to the meetup next week 👍🏾
Don’t forget to order a first aid kit before you get started on the R41, makes sure your wife keeps her phone with her at all times, otherwise, the R41 can be a very nasty shaver if you’re not bloody careful cowboy.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.