Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
OZY8jix.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Cream: Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette 'Swede' (8)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Balm
Scent: Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather EdC

An effortless, smooth and close three pass shave with this line-up.

Mini-Review - Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather Shaving Cream

I knew I would love the scent of this cream, as the matching cologne is one of my all-time favourites. Think a really classy version of Imperial Leather.
The cream is relatively firm - approaching a 'croap'. The scent strength is mid from the container, and remains mid-strength throughout the shave, and as I mentioned above, has a beautiful scent.
The cream is very easy to lather and reach correct shaving hydration levels. On the first pass, the thing that immediately struck me about this product was the cushioning - it was excellent. This allowed a faster than normal shave time for me, as I glided the razor around my face. Slickness during the shave was very good, and residual slickness respectable.

In summary, I really liked this product and would consider purchasing it. It has a glorious scent, is a doddle to lather, and allows me to cut down on my normal shaving time, which is often a consideration.

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Wolfman WR2, SB 0.95 Gap, WRH7 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-5100.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Spoiler
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Stirling Executive Man

Went vintage today. Thanks to @Holiday for the beautiful razor and @tim33z for the spoilers I bought a while back.

Before I get onto the shave let me just say it was an absolute pleasure to use and for sure I felt all nostalgic during the shave, couldn’t help but wonder how many faces the slim had shaved prior to me getting it.

To start the shave i loaded the slim with a spoiler and set it on 5. First pass on 5 was XTG. This was a very smooth pass but a little mild for me so I bumped it up to a 7 and proceeded with a ATG shave. Setting 7 was still very smooth but a little more efficient. Decided to give it a crack and bumped the slim up to 9 for the last ATG shave and this didn’t disappoint, efficiency was quite good while still retaining a nice smoothness. Finished with some touch-ups back on 7 and ended with a very pleasant and smooth, comfortable shave, no nicks or weepers and zero irritation post shave.

This will be the perfect razor between aggressive razor sessions and/or when I want my skin to take a break. The slim is a great razor and provides a very smooth comfy shave while still retaining an acceptable level of efficiency.

I am very happy with the slim… thanks again @Holiday, you may of just enabled vintage mode.. Do I get a 1973 super speed to have as a birth year razor?? How does the Slim stack up to the fatboy?? How does the slim compare to the 73 super speed??

49123828728_139960526c_b.jpg

49124209676_603fec73c3_b.jpg
Slim and Fatboys reign :)

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Stirling Executive Man

Was very impressed with the slim yesterday so decided to keep most variables the same but wanted to try the slim with a feather….. and WOW!!! The feather gives the slim an edge of efficiency above the spoiler. I kept the dial on 7 for the entire shave and I was just amazed at how smooth and efficient this razor was. Didn’t feel a need to go any higher.

I feel i have finally seen the light when it comes to vintage razors and will certainly look at getting myself a 1973 Super Speed as a birth year razor at some point.

In regards to the boar, i have been breaking it in the past few days with a method i found online, and this morning was my first actual positive experience with the boar. Still not as good as my synthetics but the gap has certainly closed down a bit and am hoping this will continue to improve.

Very happy with this razor / blade combo :)

49129409051_a297b5d1e3_b.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1) - thanks @Nico (y)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira's Destructible Shaving Bowl
Soap: Face Fat Green Fougere

First shave with the Rubies and the experience reminded me of shaving with Astra's - very smooth and mid efficient. Look forward to trying them out in a more challenging razor. Creamy lather and top notch performance but I still struggle with the scent as its a tad too earthy for my liking. Finished off with some trusty Brut and another awesome DFS... Happy shaves!

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron, The Warden
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-5110.jpg

MWqIUq4.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Soap: Eufros Tobacco (sample)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette 'Swede' (9)
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924

An rapid two pass shave with this line-up.

Mini-Review - Eufros Tobacco Shaving Soap

The consistency of this soap is what I would describe as at the firmer end of the croap scale.
The scent strength is mid from the container, and remains mid-strength throughout the shave. It is unmistakably a tobacco scent, but it was not one that greatly appealed to me for some reason.
It lathered well, and performance was good, but not as good as the performance I've come to expect from the tub of Eufros soap that I own. I've found that this decrepancy can sometimes occur with samples, particularly if they have done a bit of traveling and possibly experienced temperature differentials. The scent is no longer available in the Eufros range, but I have heard that Manuel was not entirely satisfied with the original scent, and is seeking another scent source before re-launching the soap.

MWqIUq4.jpg

Soap: Eufros Tobacco (sample)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette 'Swede' (9)
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924

An rapid two pass shave with this line-up.

Mini-Review - Eufros Tobacco Shaving Soap

The consistency of this soap is what I would describe as at the firmer end of the croap scale.
The scent strength is mid from the container, and remains mid-strength throughout the shave. It is unmistakably a tobacco scent, but it was not one that greatly appealed to me for some reason.
It lathered well, and performance was good, but not as good as the performance I've come to expect from the tub of Eufros soap that I own. I've found that this decrepancy can sometimes occur with samples, particularly if they have done a bit of traveling and possibly experienced temperature differentials. The scent is no longer available in the Eufros range, but I have heard that Manuel was not entirely satisfied with the original scent, and is seeking another scent source before re-launching the soap.
Really enjoying your mini reviews @TomG

What do you think of the brush? I've got a synthetic pony, different handle and love it.
I’ve got a couple of other synth brushes and the rainbow pony is my favourite. My order of favouritism for the synth brushes I have is: Rainbow Pony>Cola Plisson>Sagrada Tuxedo.

Today's tools:
OneBlade Genesis
Barrsiter & Mann - Cool
Sam and Son 30mm Silvertip brush

no pic, as I left my phone at work, and let's face it, who takes pics these days with anything but a phone?? (No offence to anyone who posts such wonderful S.O.T.D. pics).

I had taken a mini break from using the OneBlade, just to check how it compared to my other D.E. razors. My opinion has not changed. It is absolutlely effortless to use, and provides a wonderfully close shave with zero irritation. Would I pay full price for it? No way. I am glad I have it in rotation? Absolutlely.

Morning folks.

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Yaqi Eden 303 stainless : (standard plate used) only my 2nd use of this nice new razor and I really like it. I got it in the 3-in-1 beast set, looks like an EJ DE89 on the standard plate but is more aggressive which was a surprise bring it upto I'd say a 5-6ish out of 10. Really nice BBS today (y)
Brush: Yaqi Space chrome synthetic Pony, I'm really digging this brush and it's the shape that inspired my last handle turning effort. Nice soft feel, decent backbone and lathers bowl or face well, my fav synthetic atm to be honest and what a solid hefty handle oh and there's that Space chrome matt finish. Matches the Eden razor nicely as a finishing set.
Bowl: Stainless
Blade: BlueBird Platinum : First try of these, think they are turkish made by Derby. I was expecting it to be poor but it was a decent blade that seemed sharpish but seemed to drag a little or not be as smooth in feeling. I have fairly thick coarse hair, maybe better for thinner/lighter facial growth. But was first run, may be even better 2nd round but a pretty good blade all-in-all.
Post: Got me 2 weepers so alum rub and then Aussie made goats milk with manuka honey with a bit of water for a finish.

xIUwIhG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.