Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot shower then hot towel
Soap: Wholly Kaw Project Leather
Bowl/Scuttle: Before & After
Brush: Semogue 730 HD Silvertip Badger
Razor: Muhle R41 Rose Gold
Blade: Feather
A/S Proraso Cyprus and Vetiver

Yes the R41 with a feather tonight I may be mad! But, hello how efficient is this! 2 passes and a touch up and turned up BBS. I seriously thought it was going to be too much blade in an aggressive razor that is not matched but it has proven me wrong. This may well be a paradigm shift for chasing smooth and efficient, only came up with one weeper. There was a fair amount of sting when applying the alum but as soon as the aftershave was applied my skin felt great. Happy as!

I believe you're 100% ready to start loading the R41 head to a nice heavy handle of your choice, IF, the weight and balance are perfect in your hand.

IMG-20200707-221819.jpg

Brush: TF Custom Shades of Blue & Gold Tuxedo Shaving Brush
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo Light - Mid Level
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Soap: P&B Imperial Rum
Pre: Shower
Post: APR Bay City splash // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm // P&B Imperial Rum

@Razor Burn A report on the Smart Helix please.
Initial impressions are excellent. A lot to like about this one: the fit and finish is second to none, the shave was super smooth with good efficiency so looking forward to seeing how the aggressive plate goes. I really like this handle better than the WRH7 for weight and knurling, although I do normally prefer shorter handles myself. The head is nimble and easily shaves my troubled spots but overall I received better results whilst trialing the WRH1 standard gap. It was so close with not much between them to really complain. I also like the tiny blade tab as you hardly notice it and they nailed the base plate posts as removing blades is a lot safer than with the GC .84P. The lather channels work so well. If the aggressive plate delivers as smooth a shave but on par with the WR2 1.05 plate than I'm leaning towards this one as its such a trouble free shaver...? How heavy is the dual plate @Errol as I enjoy the weight/balance from the handle but also think the extra weight in the head may deliver closer shaves...? Love my 6S for that reason. Either way one hell of a razor so thanks again @Nico for the loan. Another RAD killer :love:

Last edited:
Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Maggard + RazoRock Bamboo handle. Thanks for the loan @Razor Burn (y)
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

I must admit the slants were a bit of a surprise.I thought they would be aggressive and uncomfortable to use. Pleased to say they shaved efficiently whilst still being smooth and comfortable. (y)

Out of the four slants on loan my pick would be the RazoRock Wunderbar SS slant. Very enjoyable shave with this one.
Second choice would be the Merkur 37C. Good little razor. Felt comfortable in the hand and nimble, also a good shaver.

Last edited:
Initial impressions are excellent. A lot to like about this one: the fit and finish is second to none, the shave was super smooth with good efficiency so looking forward to seeing how the aggressive plate goes. I really like the handle better than the WRH7 for weight and knurling, although I do prefer shorter handles myself. The head is nimble and easily shaves my troubled spots but overall I received better results whilst trialing the WRH1 standard gap. It was so close but not much between them to really complain. Also like the tiny blade tab as you hardly notice it and they nailed the base plate posts as removing blades is a lot safer than with the GC .84P. The lather channels work so well. If the aggressive plate delivers as smooth a shave but on par with the WR2 1.05 plate than I'm leaning towards this one as its such a trouble free shaver...? How heavy is the dual plate as I enjoy the weight/balance from the handle but also think the extra weight in the head may deliver closer shaves...? Love my 6S for that reason. Either way one hell of a razor so thanks again @Nico for the loan. Another RAD killer :love:
Happy to help out (Enable) :p

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Maggard + RazoRock Bamboo handle. Thanks for the loan @Razor Burn (y)
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

I must admit the slants were a bit of a surprise.I thought they would be aggressive and uncomfortable to use. Pleased to say they shaved efficiently whilst still being smooth and comfortable. (y)

Out of the four slants on loan my pick would be the RazoRock Wunderbar SS slant. Very enjoyable shave with this one.
Second choice would be the Merkur 37C. Good little razor. Felt comfortable in the hand and nimble, also a good shaver.

Glad you've enjoyed the slants. I have to agree with the choices as the Wunderbar is efficient but really enjoy the ease of use with the shorter 37C. Saying that I also enjoy the weight from the iKon :unsure: Happy shaves!

Initial impressions are excellent. A lot to like about this one: the fit and finish is second to none, the shave was super smooth with good efficiency so looking forward to seeing how the aggressive plate goes. I really like this handle better than the WRH7 for weight and knurling, although I do normally prefer shorter handles myself. The head is nimble and easily shaves my troubled spots but overall I received better results whilst trialing the WRH1 standard gap. It was so close with not much between them to really complain. I also like the tiny blade tab as you hardly notice it and they nailed the base plate posts as removing blades is a lot safer than with the GC .84P. The lather channels work so well. If the aggressive plate delivers as smooth a shave but on par with the WR2 1.05 plate than I'm leaning towards this one as its such a trouble free shaver...? How heavy is the dual plate @Errol as I enjoy the weight/balance from the handle but also think the extra weight in the head may deliver closer shaves...? Love my 6S for that reason. Either way one hell of a razor so thanks again @Nico for the loan. Another RAD killer :love:

Thanks for an excellent summary of the Smart Helix‘ capability. I’m a big fan of the Smart Helix so your words only reinforce my thoughts. This is a guess but I’d say the dual plate would add another 50% to the wight of the Apollo. There are a lot of plates around that would exceed the weight of the Apollo plate and thy are not dual sided. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you trial the aggressive plate.

Thanks for an excellent summary of the Smart Helix‘ capability. I’m a big fan of the Smart Helix so your words only reinforce my thoughts. This is a guess but I’d say the dual plate would add another 50% to the wight of the Apollo. There are a lot of plates around that would exceed the weight of the Apollo plate and thy are not dual sided. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you trial the aggressive plate.
Thanks again @Errol for the kind words and advice as I'm aware how highly you and @Nico rate this razor, here's hoping the aggressive plate delivers an equally enjoyable shave with added efficiency! (y)

I don’t have another razor with a heavier handle though, any ideas that don’t involve buying another razor 😂
Just buy another handle, not a whole razor.... You bloody grasshopper.
For cheap options it's hard to go past Yaqi but you have to be quick they run out of stock regularly
https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/collections/safety-razor-handles
This link will give you more details of the handle options for length, weight and diameter size of your choice. IF you know where to look online.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/safety-razors/handle-only/

Status
Not open for further replies.