Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Shower
Razor: Rocca R95
Blade: Feather
Brush: 2-Band Silvertip Badgers Rhodium
Soap: Mystic Waters Coconut

Finally got my R95 and she looks even better in real life and feels amazing in the hand, kind of an nice organic feeling I have never felt while holding a razor before. Plenty of grip even when wet, I reckon the grippiest handle I have.

It certainly tamed the feather but in the end a feather is a feather and it will draw some blood if not careful and with the R95 being so smooth this can happen. I think I will stick to Gillete Yellows/Wizamets going forward.

3 passes WTG, XTG and ATG with one extra ATG on the upper face only has done the job once again :love:

50626388123_8952e1d106_b.jpg

50627138531_c808154ebd_b.jpg

Now THAT folks is an incredible shave and a great lather - doesn't get any better than that

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Pre-shave:- Hot Shower
Brush:- Wolf Whiskers Custom 30mm Blackwolf
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans - Khalifa ( K2)
Razor:- Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade:- Gillette - Stainless (17)
Post Shave:- Ariana & Evans - Khalifa AS Splash / Nivea Men Deep Moisturiser

Apologies, been caught up with life other than shaving. I am 2 days behind in posting, will catch up.

2 pass WTG + touchups = DFS+. 17 Shaves and the blade still has life in it. Cannot believe how smooth the blade is still, and plenty of efficiency for a daily shave.

The Soap Khalifa. This apparently is one A&E hard to obtain shaving soaps. This puck I have is even harder as it is one of a handful of the new K2 base soon to be released in few of A&E soap bases. I was able to get my hands on 4x new K2 base soaps which I paid for at big discount thanks to Peter C at A&E. I believe it is the Kaizen based with tweaking to the lanolin and some other ingredient tweaks. I have read one comment saying they felt the kaizen base is not as dense as the older formula.I have never had an issue Kaizen or the original. A&E K2 base is top tier and super slick, and dense. I shaved my touchups on the residual slickness alone. Not many soaps I have used I dare to do this with.

The scent, Scent strength medium to strong off the puck, and medium for the splash. The soap and splash have very different scent profiles. From A&E, Khalifa is an homage to Black Afgano by Nasomatto. Scent notes Khalifa is a mix of mysterious & exotic 'resins', tobacco, vanilla, oud, coffee and incense. It's a dark, mysterious, smokey, woody mix.

The resins, vanilla, and maybe a synthetic cannibis similar to canniblis santal are the intial scents I pick up followed by the oud tobacco and incense. Didn't really smell the coffee in the soap. The splash, is something else. Very pipe smoke tobacco and oud forward, followed by coffee, vanilla, then insense. I like how the insense is not strong, but balances out the scent profile. This is a dark, rounded, sophisticated masculine scent. This is a big "yes I like this one" (y).

Date:- 21 November 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mystic Water ~ Brown Windsor
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Rubie #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

sotd.png

Pre: Hot water
Razor: Mühle Birch-Bark Rocca
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow (2)
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Stirling Bergamot Lavender

The picture might seem familiar, and that's because the setup is same as yesterday's except for the not-so-new blade. Another absolutely perfectly smooth shave. Trouble is, I have a sense of itchy feet. It's just that bit too perfect, and I found a treacherous little thought creeping insidiously into my mind that maybe I should just load up my Vector with a Feather Pro Super for the rest of the shave.

I didn't, though, and I'll persist with the Rocca for a while. I might try it with a Nacet or maybe a Feather next to see if that makes it more interesting...

mr4iJEc.jpg

Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang

Rocca V WHAT??? Come on gang...nothing beats a real Wolfman ;)

I hope you all have a stellar Saturday (y)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 'Slim' (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (6)
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano splash
Fragrance: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano EDC

Almost grabbed the Rocca R95 out to prove I was not going nuts, but then realised I wasn't and stuck with the beautiful rhodium replated Slim :)

Nice (-r, than any Wolfman)

p29qmpQl.jpg

Pre: Face Wash
Razor: R95
Blade: Gillete 7’Oclock Yellow
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: All Things Nice

Had an excellent shave yesterday as in ended with BBS and the shave was smooth but woke with red dots/pimples on my neck area today. Not sure if the feather or the mystic waters was the problem, but I reckon I got a good lather yesterday so the feather came out and in went a Gillette yellow..

stuck with a 2 pass DFS for today.

50630711001_5b389e4dc0_b.jpg

04hEcHZ.jpg

Prep: water
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts x APR - Gravefruit

This was a couple of days ago actually.

Gillette yellows shaved well, but I can't say more other than, I liked them better than the Astra SP (my regular driver), but not sure if I can justify paying double the price for them.

I can't wax lyrical about Gravefruit more than I already have. I love the scent. LOVE the scent. I remember being up at 2am wondering if I should have bought 2 tubs instead of one. But I had to weigh that against the possibility of the soap scent changing as it ages and the large (relative to a new shaver) number of soaps I already have in my den. Probably regretting that decision now, but, oh well. SW soap base is the best vegan base I've ever used (to be fair, I haven't used that many), but it ranks second amongst all of my other soap bases (second only to DG milksteak). I think it's better than B&M soft heart - yeah, I said it). Lathers up into a gooey goopy super slick lather that feels wonderful on the face. Excellent post shave as well. Actually have 2 more SW soaps on order (Pomona and Samhain) so I don't go through my Gravefruit as quickly. Can't wait for them to arrive.

SOTD 22-11-2020

LxNhYdrl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Fantome de Menthol
Brush: 26mm TF MMW
Razor: Heljestrand
Lovely shave.
Wow, what a week. My son got married on Friday on the South Coast (NSW). We drove the 500kms on Wednesday. Brazilian BBQ on Thursday evening and the wedding on Friday morning. Drove home Saturday. The wedding was a small intimate (20 people) event on the shore of St Georges Basin held in the back yard of a holiday home. Weather and company was perfect with a relatively casual event going off without a hitch. First wedding I've been to where kayaking and swimming was the order of the day after a wedding brunch.
Of course the SOTD for me on the day included my TI Flower Pattern straight razor and Pb Green Parrot soap, had to prepare properly so I was looking sharp in my new suit.:LOL:
This was such a counterpoise to the last four years of chronic illness for our son. He has suffered a relapse this year but fortunately recovered enough for an absolutely beautiful wedding.
EP0cAYJm.jpg
60JjI7wm.jpg

Couple of photos including the groom and his groomsmen hanging out the night before the big day with the best man getting some drone footage of the party.

Last edited:
SOTD 22-11-2020

LxNhYdrl.jpg

Lovely shave.
Wow, what a week. My son got married on Friday on the South Coast (NSW). We drove the 500kms on Wednesday. Brazilian BBQ on Thursday evening and the wedding on Friday morning. Drove home Saturday. The wedding was a small intimate (20 people) event on the shore of St Georges Basin held in the back yard of a holiday home. Weather and company was perfect with a relatively casual event going off without a hitch. First wedding I've been to where kayaking and swimming was the order of the day after a wedding brunch.
EP0cAYJm.jpg
60JjI7wm.jpg

Congrats on getting [another?] one off your hands :)

Well shaven on his wedding day I hope?

Pre-shave:- Hot Shower
Brush:- Yaqi - Rainbow 26mm Pony knot
Soap/Cream:- Talbot Shaving - Okuma
Razor:- Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade:- Gillette - Stainless (18)
Post Shave:- Talbot Shaving & Maol Grooming - Okuma AS splash / Nivea Men Deep Moisturiser

2 pass WTG + touchups = DFS+. Another awesome shave with the R95 and 18 uses on the Gillette stainless. I may break 20 shaves on this blade.

The Soap Okuma by Talbot Shaving. Scent strength is strong off the puck and mid from the splash.
Scent notes, Lemon, passionfruit, yuzu, sea kelp, cypress, salt water, greens.
The scent is very citrus forward. Very strong on the Yuzu lemon and passionfruit. They create a very bright citrus bitter accord with the salt and and sea kelp giving a little aquatic note to the scent. The cypress and green notes are well done and not dark, and adds a little dimension. On the dry down of the scent the bright bitterness of the citrus notes combine with the saltiness left me feeling clean and refreshed. The splash scent is identical to the soap.

The soap formula is outstanding, up there with the best. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Easy to lather, super slick, great post shave.

This is defiantely a summer scent and I enjoy the bitterness of the yuzu and lemon scents. It smells really natural, fresh and ready to take on the challenges of the day or just lay around on the beach soaking up the sun. I would rate this as neither masculine or a feminine scent. It could be used by everyone. (Tip for the gentlemen, hide this from your other halves.)

As this soap was released earlier this year it's new for 2020. Therefore I am happy to say, I really liked this soap and will give it my two thumbs up outstanding soap of the year award. (y)(y).

SOTD 22-11-2020

LxNhYdrl.jpg

Lovely shave.
Of course the SOTD for me on the day included my TI Flower Pattern straight razor and Pb Green Parrot soap, had to prepare properly so I was looking sharp in my new suit.:LOL:
This was such a counterpoise to the last four years of chronic illness for our son. He has suffered a relapse this year but fortunately recovered enough for an absolutely beautiful wedding.
EP0cAYJm.jpg
60JjI7wm.jpg

Couple of photos including the groom and his groomsmen hanging out the night before the big day with the best man getting some drone footage of the party.
Congrats and best wishes to the happy couple! (y)(y)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.