Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try for 7 shaves/blade with the artist club style blades...
Are you a daily head&face shaver too? Until recently, I counted myself fortunate if I got 3 shaves out of any blade (DE/SE), but the soap/water pre has changed that. I think the last period when I used this approach was when I was going through a spell of using carts, and it didn't have the same effect.

Interestingly, if I shower with the same soap, it appears to soften up my skin more than my bristles, so I'm better off with no pre-shave.

I think we all know that if we just stuck to the one kind of cartridge, we would probably save money overall, but I'm keeping that as my dirty little secret, and definitely not mentioning it to Mrs Gargravarr. :LOL:

Saturday night
Pre-shave: shower then light application of King of Shaves gel while working up my lather
Bowl/Scuttle: Timeless shave bowl grey
Brush: Semogue 620 black handle
Soap/Cream: Traditional Barbers Shaving Cream, several drops each of glycerine, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil
Razor/Blade: Merkur 38c with Astra SP
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: Ralph Polo Blue
Passes: 3-pass on face, 2-pass on neck
Headshave: 1-pass Leaf Razor with 3 Derby shavette blades

the 38c was one of my first wetshaving razor purchases and in those early days I was out of my depth. tonight it was a great result as the chillibabe and I were going out for dinner with friends, a mate and his wife, he and I have been friends for over 40 years. had a great shave and a great night, I know the shave played a part in it.

first use of the Timeless shave bowl and it worked a treat. I like the depth but not sure if the groves actually help or hinder the process. regardless the lather came out great with zero nicks/weepers/soreness. I need to spend more time with it. either way it gets a :) from me.

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Lonestar
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #10
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Playtpus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano splash
Fragrance: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano EDC

Slipped a new blade in this morning, another great shave. This brush really is lovely @Tony Forsyth !

PbzIakkl.jpg

s.png

Water: Natural dihydrogen monoxide from sky above Great Western Tiers
Pre-shave: Hot water, see above + Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK (9)
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 and Anthelios SPF50+

Slow going to achieve DFS+ this morning, this blade has done enough. Assuming face + melon =~ 3 normal face shaves, then this Kai has done the equivalent of 27. Can't complain about that.

Weekend shaves
IMG-20210221-150000.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24/55mm AP Shave Co. SynBad // Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
Head: Headblade Moto
Razor: Yaqi DOC + RR Halo handle
Blade: Wizamet S.I (10)
Bowl: Artisan Arcade Rover
Pre: Shower
Soap: Pb Grapefruit sample
Post: The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion + Sensitive Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

A quick head shave Saturday and the SynBad knot struggled to whip up a thick lather due to the floppiness. Put in some effort and managed a pleasant head shave but the knot is better for face lathering.
Today saw much better results as the 30mm tuxedo produced plenty of slickness and great post shave feel. I've sampled a fair amount of soap from @Pbgoose and its a very solid performer with some pleasant scents. Sadly I'm on my last few samples but always get a fabulous shave!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

RAZOR: S.K Colling & CO 5/8"
CREAM: Proraso Green
BRUSH: Jack the Barber Synthetic knot
STROP: Black beauty double sided hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: Proraso Green

1BGJktM.jpg

10 hours later I'm still BBS and hoping the whisker fairy visits tonight so I can shave in the morning.

Last edited:
Putting up a two-fer.

HFzdyrA.jpg

• Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
  • Blade: Ladas SS
  • Brush: Yaqi 24mm SHD gel tip badger
  • Soap: Talbot Shaving - Island in the Sun
This is Yaqi's attempt at a SHD gel tip badger. It's like they took the idea of a gel tip badger and went about it in a very Yaqi way. They took a mid-tier badger hair and processed the tips to the point where gel sensation is very pronounced, almost artificial and then priced it accordingly. This 24mm knot retails for around AUD$40. A bit cheaper than an equivalent Maggards or Oumo knot. And it is T-H-I-R-S-T-Y! My standard 30 sec load wasn't enough for even a single pass. Had to load for a further 30 seconds for a decent lather. Good backbone, okay splay, very little scritch and poor flowthrough. This is my first go on a brand new knot, so I should expect it to loosen up a bit as I break it in. Badger funk is medium. A few more shaves should take care of that too.

xnXRU2h.jpg

Same as above except:

• Brush: Yaqi 24mm HD gel tip boar
  • Soap: Oleo Soapworks - Boyd
So, my first boar. This HD gel-tip version was only $2 more than a regular boar. I think the knot was $12 and then I set it into a $12 DSC handle, so $24 all up. Having never tried a boar before, I have nothing to compare this too, so I don't know if this is different/better than a regular boar that you have to break in. I think the ends were processed like the gel-tip badger. It certainly had a gelly like feel to the tips. The backbone on this is very firm. No need to set it deep into the handle, the loft was needed to allow it space to splay (and it doesn't splay like a badger, obviously). I sort of worked it into a lather basically scrubbing my face for a bit and then painting the lather on with long strokes. The lather it creates is slightly different to what is produced by badger or synth, almost feels like lotion (and this is loading and face lathering like I normally would with a badger). Maybe I need to learn how to dial in the water more. I did soak the brush for at least 10min before shaving. A 45 second load only yielded enough lather for 1 pass and touch-ups. I didn't bother loading more soap onto the brush. This brush is even thirstier than the Yaqi SHD badger. I'm going to give it another try with a cheaper soap next time.

IMG-20210221-214511-1.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes Kryten Ti 28mm UHD Manchurian
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R95 Birch Bark
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron Soaps Sweetheart
Post: Jovan Musk A/S Splash // The Stray Whisker After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

Smooth as butter but sweet as candy!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

Off to meetings at Parliament House today including with the PM and OL, that is Scomo and Albo to those outside Canberra, so want to make sure they know who they are dealing with - da General in da House! :)

PLOO2Bll.jpg

Last edited:

Off to meetings at Parliament House today including with the PM and OL, that is Scomo and Albo to those outside Canberra, so want to make sure they know who they are dealing with - da General in da House! :)

PLOO2Bll.jpg
Put a good word in for me!

PLOO2Bll.jpg
Ask Scomo to give me another 750 towards my DSP ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.