Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now there's a cry for help.

That's why I like to make my soaps with different bases as there are differences to be enjoyed, much the same as why we like using a number of different razors, some of the differences are subtle, some more noticable. Tamanu Oil is nice but not suitable for some scent profiles, I like tallow, emu oil but wouldn't be without the staples of coconut, castor, palm, shea butter etc etc........sigh........I really need to finish my meth lab...I mean soap lab, so I can get back into soap making. Home reno's are all consuming........what if I run out of soap and have nothing left but ARKO!...........aarrrrgghhh! Better make that a joint counselling session @Mark1966 ......
I've had the privilege to sample a few of your soaps and am constantly blown away by the performance and post shave feel. Doesn't take a lot of water to create luscious lather so whatever you're doing keep it up mate! (y)

I've never had this issue at all since I've started wet shaving many moons ago
Luckily the Karve D plate shaves so close that I rarely require a touch up XTG pass but when I do it can nick me.
If I were to get another Karve (highly unlikely) it'll be the tab covering version.

Luckily the Karve D plate shaves so close that I rarely require a touch up XTG pass but when I do it can nick me.
If I were to get another Karve (highly unlikely) it'll be the tab covering version.
Widebody_Category_2048x.jpg

FYI below Mr Wimp @Razor Burn

https://karveshaving.com/collections/new-razor-parts/products/widebody-top-cap

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, see above + Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Razor: Razorock Hawk V3
Blade: Chinese No-Name from Yaqi Shaving
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 and Anthelios SPF50+

First run with the cheapie blade in this razor. I've had much better shaves with these in the Vector. The first pass was great, with lots of audio feedback just like a straight, but thereafter it just bounced over my stubble without cutting it, leaving me with a DFS-- after 3 passes. In the 10 or so blades I've used so far, I've noticed a bit of variation in performance, which I sort of expected at that price point. And, let's face it, we don't generally look to China for quality work. Apologies if that sounds racist, but it's a reputation they've earned.

Anyway, I won't give up on these blades just yet - I've got another 100 to get through. Anybody want to try some?

Pre-shave: warmish shower
Bowl/Scuttle: N/A
Brush: N/A
Soap/Cream: King of Shaves menthol Alphagel
Razor/Blade: Mach 3
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: N/A
Passes: 1-pass plus quick XTG on jawline

had a meeting this morning and had to get up and go. no time for lathering or a self indulgent session in front of the mirror with DE and brush, just rubbed some KOS on the face and had a quick go over with the M3. surprisingly good result for a single pass. wetshaving has been quite instructive in the 'how' so easy to apply to a cartridge for a pretty good result despite no lather/brush etc. I felt like a caveman sliding a sharpened seashell over my face.

TUESDAY ‌03/02/21 SOTD

RpLaseH.jpg

Blackland Dart / Rapira Platinum Lux
Yaqi Rainbow Handle 26mm Brown Synth
Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ Seville Shaving Soap
Prospectors Classic Aftershave Splash
Your rainbow pony is much prettier than mine. You're a better photographer too, of course :p but my handle doesn't have nearly the translucency in the blue/violet section. Sigh... :rolleyes:

Your rainbow pony is much prettier than mine. You're a better photographer too, of course :p but my handle doesn't have nearly the translucency in the blue/violet section. Sigh... :rolleyes:
It's most likely just a matter of lighting. I would be surprised if there was much difference from one Yaqi rainbow handle to another.

It's most likely just a matter of lighting. I would be surprised if there was much difference from one Yaqi rainbow handle to another.
That's what I would have thought too, but even if I hold my brush directly up to a super-bright light, it never looks anything other than opaque in that section. It also looks significantly different to Yaqi's publicity pics. I guess there must be a certain amount of hand work to produce these differences, so I'm not really disappointed. Maybe I just need a couple more. :p

Actually, come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea in any case. I've been telling myself that (next year) I want to try a G4 knot, so I could always put one in a rainbow handle.

That's what I would have thought too, but even if I hold my brush directly up to a super-bright light, it never looks anything other than opaque in that section. It also looks significantly different to Yaqi's publicity pics. I guess there must be a certain amount of hand work to produce these differences, so I'm not really disappointed. Maybe I just need a couple more. :p

Actually, come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea in any case. I've been telling myself that (next year) I want to try a G4 knot, so I could always put one in a rainbow handle.
Of course you need more, That goes without saying. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.