Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 December - Shorty Sunday
Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 half hollow 6/8, modified to a shorty with French point, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa, and re-scaled in flame figured European maple.
Uq9Cb2H.jpg

Last edited:
PXL-20231223-230719888-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP Titanium
Soap: Yardley
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ethiopia Guji from The Naked Bean

Making a start on a "fresh" puck of Yardley this morning, this one a generous gift from @Mark1966 (thanks Mark (y):)). It never ceases to amaze me how such an ancient soap can generate such a vigorous lather.

Making a start on a "fresh" puck of Yardley this morning, this one a generous gift from @Mark1966 (thanks Mark (y):)). It never ceases to amaze me how such an ancient soap can generate such a vigorous lather.
I’m gunna need a few Yardley in my den, really want to tryout these vintage soaps depending what’s scent is available.

Paging Mr King Yardley @Mark1966 Please.

I’m gunna need a few Yardley in my den, really want to tryout these vintage soaps depending what’s scent is available.

Well, you know what the green-label Yardley smells like already (I presume you've used that sample I sent). The brown-box (for want of a better term) and the famous Black Label are very different.

Interestingly, this puck of soap I've just started seems (apparently/possibly/maybe) to have a little more fragrance than the last two. I don't have any evidence to support this (other than the wording on the label) but I'm wondering if these "flat top" bowls were made for the US market, and just maybe they added a bit more fragrance to the mix for these ones.

I could also be talking complete and utter crap. :unsure:

The old Colgate and Potter & Moore soaps are still available from time to time much more cheaply, and they work as well as ever, though most are nearly unscented by now.

I don't know who currently occupies that particular throne, but I have spent WAY more money than I am prepared to admit to Mme Gargravarr on Yardley soaps. Not helped by the fact that I have just been successfully tempted by the siren call of a NOS Black Label... :banghead: :facepalm:

At least part of my stash is attributable entirely to the generosity of P&C members. (y)(y)

Well, you know what the green-label Yardley smells like already (I presume you've used that sample I sent).
I’ve totally forgotten on the scent when you gave me a sample, besides, a puck size is better than a tiny sample and it’s easier to completely remember the scent straight from a puck. Hopefully the scent will last longer or not.

I’ve totally forgotten on the scent when you gave me a sample, besides, a puck size is better than a tiny sample and it’s easier to completely remember the scent straight from a puck. Hopefully the scent will last longer or not.
The scent wasn't what I'd call strong in the first place. I can guarantee if you had hated the scent, you WOULD remember that. :ROFLMAO:

The scent wasn't what I'd call strong in the first place. I can guarantee if you had hated the scent, you WOULD remember that. :ROFLMAO:
Well, let’s put it this way.

IF the scent of Yardley doesn’t suit me, when I get a full puck size, you can have it for FREE!

RdMaG6G.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Vintage Creed Epicéa
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Wilkinson Sword French Brown (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Santa Maria Novella Colonia Russa Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Creed Original Vetiver EdP

2.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake (Valobra) Oxford & Cambridge
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Buku Abel Gesha, Ethiopia

25 December
it has been almost three months since I last shaved with this engraved matching seven-day set. They are Titan ACRO T.H-70 half hollow 21mm (⅞), finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa, and dressed in African black wood timber scales.

WiF7gaG.jpg

This set was last honed in about mid 2020. Last time I shaved with them, they were good but not quite up to the standard I was getting use to from my more recently honed SRs. I thought that this may be due to my honing technique improving over the years.

To put my theory to the test, I lightly jointed my Tuesday razor, reset the bevel on 3k and proceeded up through my normal progression. This morning I did a comparison shave between my Monday and Tuesday razors.

The re-honed Tuesday razor had the notably better edge. Looks like I will have to rehone the other 6 of this set during this week.

SOXmas – Sunday 24 Dec 2023

SOTD-20231224-setup.jpg

Copy-of-SOTD-20231224-setup-lather.png

I don’t have a specific Christmas scented soap so I combined two soaps of scents that remind of Christmas: Stirling - Scots Pine Sheep (Christmas Tree Scent) and MSC - Peppermint Latte (Peppermint sticks and Chocolaty scent).

Shave Report: I used a rounded 1/8th teaspoon (about 0.9gm) of each soap mashed together in the bottom of my bowl and slowly added 15ml of water to generate an awesome rich shiny creamy dense lather with top overall performance. From the lather I get a lovely combination of Pine, Peppermint, Chocolate & other aromas, a great combo result, scent strength is about 7/10. The Legend AC razor with the Captain Titan Mild blade provided me with a smooth, efficient and close shave, just a couple of small weepers.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Yaqi “Italian Freedom” with 24/52 Cashmere
  • Soap 1: Stirling Soap Co - Scots Pine Sheep
  • Soap 2: Master Soap Creations (MSC) - Peppermint Latte
  • Bowl: Yaqi Green ABS “Duke”
  • Razor: Dscosmetic Legend AC
  • Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild AC (6)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Blue Devil Shave Co - Peppermint Patch [A]
  • Moisturiser (Later): Nivea Men - Anti-Irritation AS Lotion