Shave of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD

Merkur 23C
Feather blade (first time I've tried this blade)
Windsor soap
Semogue 830

I haven't tried a feather before so I was a bit of a scaredy-cat as the rumor is that they're really sharp. I put on brave face and ploughed on in. I ended up with a BBS face and not a nick to be seen.

I think the feather has just jumped into my top 3.

Slim
Fresh NOS GBE
Cella
Smoggie 730HD
Facelather, WTG + XTG

No Stryptic, No Alum, No balm, No AS.

Just sweet.

Todays stuff:

Valobra stick. I still use it inspite of the cheap smell. It's a superb lather and I'm determined to finish the stick regardless. It might not get renewed though.

The Wee Scot. An absolute winner every time. Still blows me away that something that small can hold enough lather for multiple passes. Makes every other brush seem way too big.

Featherweight with new GEM PTFE coated blade. What can I say...bliss. And the ABC with a Shark for trimming. As I have two set ups on the go anyhow, the next time I'll have another go at the Thomas Method. At present it just seems like a wasted opportunity not to use an SE for the second pass.

Last edited:
The sound of a man who has found the perfect point of harmony in life.

This morning was just one of those days where the shaving gods looked down on me and I was blessed. It wasn't the closest of shaves, in fact the stubble is already coming through. But in the moment, I was at one with the blade.

Un-named silver brush
Cella

1. Merkur 23C and Feather for WTG
  2. Flare Tip and Personna Red for XTG
  3. Tech ball End for ATG

More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Last edited:
Un-named silver brush
Cella

1. Merkur 23C and Feather for WTG
  2. Flare Tip and Personna Red for XTG
  3. Tech ball End for ATG

More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

What's this? The garethm method? You're just trying to outdo Glen here. A bit wussy using the Tech for your ATG.

It's going well this thread. Todays gear:

Vulfix el cheapo boar brush

Cella - what an easy soap it is. All of three seconds loading the wet brush.

Bullet tip SE with a second use GEM PTFE. Flying Wing for all the purists out there. I like the workman like names of SEs. What have we got: GEM/Star/Ever Ready 1912, Ever Ready 1914 and 1924, Clog Pruf (that's just weird), Lather Catcher just to name a few. The only slightly pretentious names are a Jewel and a Streamline. None of this Senator, Aristocrat, Monarch crap you get with Gillette DEs. Come on, lets open up a class warfare debate here.

Alum block, tea tree antiseptic cream and moisturiser.

Couldn't bring myself to do the Thomas thingey.

Last edited:
First one down, no major calamities, but slightly underwhelmed at my skill levels.

EJ89
Derby blade (no one seems to like these, so thought I might as well learn with them and use better ones then on)
Proraso cream
"Davinchi" Coles bristle brush
Alum block
Tiny bit of toilet paper

Went WTG then 2X across.
Couple of tiny weepers on my neck due to previous shaving problems, and a tiny nick under my nose when in my infinite wisdom I decided to ignore the information received from others on this site, and tried to tidy up a little bit without any lather, against the grain.
Caught myself trying to shave with way too shallow an angle several times, which seemed to just wipe the lather off.

It was ok, but if I rub my face I can feel and hear it is far from the holy grail of shaves. Guess I just need a fair bit more practice.

Last edited:
First one down, no major calamities, but slightly underwhelmed at my skill levels.

EJ89
Derby blade (no one seems to like these, so thought I might as well learn with them and use better ones then on)
Proraso cream
"Davinchi" Coles bristle brush
Alum block
Tiny bit of toilet paper

It was ok, but if I rub my face I can feel and hear it is far from the holy grail of shaves. Guess I just need a fair bit more practice.

Couple of thoughts:

The first one is always nervy. It's like you're taking a sharp blade to your face that isn't going to bounce off if you push it.

Tabac is good 1970s. Toilet paper is bad. Styptic pencil is better for cuts.

The coles brush will be pretty average, I don't think even PJ owns one and he's always searching for bottom shelf boars. Think about an Omega, way better boar for about the same money delivered.

Work on getting a decent lather, that's 80% of the battle won early on for new players. Get it wet and youghurty, not clotted cream or bubbly suds.

Derby's might be too sucky, but give them a week to find out.

Ignore the Holy Grail. No one's found it yet. If you look shaved, you're shaved. The rest is all Personal Best stuff which no one else will notice. And best not to discuss it with friends and workmates or you'll be eating alone in the canteen regularly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.