Shave of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's jobbie:

Travel brush with TGN best knot. Only mildly and pleasantly scritchy.

MWF stick. Nice scent. Lather from this stuff comes second (a close one mind you) to my other tallow favs: Speick, Tabac and, inspite of dubious scent, Cella or Valobra.

Bullet tip with fourth shave GEM PTFE blade. I'll finish the blade with 5th and possibly 6th shave in the Clog Pruf. I can feel a DE change coming on. ABC with some sort of DE blade for the usual trim.

Alum, tea tree oil and moisturiser apres shave treatment.

Last edited:
Bullet tip with fourth shave GEM PTFE blade. I'll finish the blade with 5th and possibly 6th shave in the Clog Pruf. I can feel a DE change coming on. ABC with some sort of DE blade for the usual trim.

Interesting, I have got to 4 shaves (I think) with my SE and am not too sure I would trust a fifth. Will await for the arrival of my very own clog pruf and see if it makes me change my mind. As it is it is beginning to be more scraping and less shaving.

Admittedly some blades seem to be better than others but after four it is a bit more work but still produces the same result.

HD with 3 day old Personna
Omega 10005 - great piece of piggery.
Cella
Proraso AS

I used to think Personnas were not sharp enough. Not true, my technique wasn't, your technique really does refine over time. 2 passes - both WTG - and a bit extra on the chin, just as good as any other blade I use and comfy enough to go without AS. But I do cos I like it.

I've been just going WTG over most areas, as getting too close a shave makes the next day's that bit harder. I find the stubble more resistant. I still get a shave that looks shaved til after dinner, so the whole BBS thing is just personal best stuff. Nice to know you can get it if you need it, but otherwise redundant.

Not quite on topic - but then what ever is on this forum. Received the straight razor and strop that eggbert very kindly Pifed. Now all I have to do is work out how to sharpen it and use it! (I feel a new TM coming on). :)

Switched to
crystals.jpg

tonight. Unfortunately i had my first "too wet" lather failure so can't yet compare like for like with the Derbys but it was a much louder shave tonight than before.

Other than the blade change, I am trying not to change any of the other variables.

Here we go:

Wee Scot. Less is more. Need I say more.

Tabac cream. Because Tabac soap is one of the top tallow soaps this gets unjustifiably bagged. It lathers as good as if not better than any cream I've used, it's got a great refreshing scent (if you don't like Tabac soap don't try this one!) and it's available in Australia at a few well stocked chemists. And it's not Italian!!! Nothing but positives as far as I'm concerned.

Clog Pruf with no 5 shave GEM PTFE blade.

All good.

Last edited:
Swapped my Cella for Palmolive shave stick.

I made crappy lather and the shave suffered for it. Nothing bad, just not as comfortable and close as usual so I pulled the pin at two passes for a SAS.

Probably shouldn't have bothered at 11 at night. Noob effort on my behalf :amazed: :rolleyes:

Howz the Faux Foo going?

A Pretender. I should have known, etc etc.

No look it's a good brush. Has the latherability and flow of B1, without the lack of density. Just very soft all the way, so no real grunt. For people who like soft brushes that aren't moppy or floppy, and so actually work - TGN would be hard to beat for value.

But when you've got used to a Chubby, that becomes a benchmark no other brush outside Simmo's range can touch. God knows what I was thinking putting it up for sale a while ago.

Only one more shot at TGNs range with the B3 and a Finest extra hair job. After that it's Simpsons all the way for you, I'm afraid. Shavemac do knots but that requires groveling with the owner and paying $50 a pop minimum. Simpsons all the way.

The problem to date I think has been the relatively tall lofts and/or availabiity of extra hair in the knot sizes for the B1 and B2. The B3 is all ready by the way. When the knot arrives it'll take me no time at all to set it. Even if it's the last thing I do, one day I'll restore a handle for you that'll be a serious contender.

The problem to date I think has been the relatively tall lofts and/or availabiity of extra hair in the knot sizes for the B1 and B2. The B3 is all ready by the way. When the knot arrives it'll take me no time at all to set it. Even if it's the last thing I do, one day I'll restore a handle for you that'll be a serious contender.

The problem to date has been Smog handles. Nice to look at, shit to work with.

I feel bad these handles have made you work so hard for so little gratitude.

Will beer help?

And I promise never to buy another Semogue.

The problem to date has been Smog handles. Nice to look at, shit to work with.

I feel bad these handles have made you work so hard for so little gratitude.

Will beer help?

And I promise never to buy another Semogue.

I liked working on them. Setting a knot and seeing the final result is satisfaction enough for me. Besides, even if they don't quite satisfy the specific requirements of a brush head like yourself, at the very least they're now a lot better than what they were.

I liked working on them. Besides, even if they don't quite satisfy the specific requirements of a brush head like yourself, at the very least they're now a lot better than what they were.

The 620 was never used anyway. It was superseded by a $6 Omega, that is a mini 620 in every way, including price.

No shave today

I was looking forward to it after a few days growth but when I arrived home I found my little Shi Tzu cold and stiff in the backyard. I have had her for nearly 17 years so she had a good run but still feel its wrong somehow to do something as pleasurable as shaving tonight. I will raise aglass of scotch to her memory however.

Sorry about that Glen. 17 yrs is a great innings though. I doubt very much my dog, a very big labrador, will reach that age. You're excused from shaving! Mind you it might cheer you up a bit. Or at least take your mind off it.

Sorry about that Glen. 17 yrs is a great innings though. I doubt very much my dog, a very big labrador, will reach that age. You're excused from shaving! Mind you it might cheer you up a bit. Or at least take your mind off it.

Thanks Pjotr - Like I said she had a good run, I suspect if I had the nerve I would have had her to the vet about 6 months ago but always felt it was some sort of bad karma. Still we are left with the boofheaded Staffie to keep us company. And shave I shall in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.