Weekly Razor Review

Denali Adjustable 2021 (USA)

Here’s another one of those razors that falls into the ‘how am I going to get one of these’ category. Denali’s Adjustable was released in small numbers earlier this year and available exclusively from a shop in Italy that does not respond to emails; this one had me scratching my head. Everyone lucky enough to get hold of one was singing its praises so BST wasn’t looking like a flash option either. Sometimes, and I hate the idea, I’ve just got to accept that it is not going to happen. Out of blue, I get a hint that some may be available from USA and more importantly, I have an email address. That was all it took for funds to be exchanged for a razor.

At a quick glance the Denali Adjustable has a similar profile to that of the REX Ambassador adjustable and there is said to be a good reason for this. The Denali’s designer was part of the original three man team that commenced development of the Ambassador and the similar outlines of the REX and the Denali are probably a carry over from that early design work. No parts are interchangeable between the two razors and indeed both razors were machined in different facilities. Where the REX Ambassador and the Denali do differ significantly is that the Denali was designed as a much milder razor. There is Gibbs’ influence featured everywhere in the Denali; spring loaded bottom plate, it can mostly be stripped to its individual parts but separating the knob out of the handle has me stumped, odd width end plates, right hand threads, etc. This is one quality machined razor, every part fits perfectly and the precision of the thread engagement is first class. Of course, in true Errol fashion, every thread was oiled and operated smoother from the application of lubrication. There is satin finish applied to the plate that does not look out of place with the rest of the razor being polished. Readable size numerals, #1 through to #6 are engraved around the shoulder of the plate but what really impressed was an angled line engraved in front of the numerals that increases in width as the numerals got higher.

If questioned, I would always say that fitting a blade onto the cap is my preferred method of loading, however if the blade is loaded onto the plate, it’s no deal breaker, and I can accept the different approach. However, what I do find amusing is that a large percentage of the advertisement for a Denali razor is dedicated to the benefits of fitting the blade on the plate; it does work well for the Denali though. Because the threads of the Denali are all right hand, the adjuster works in the opposite direction to a lot of other adjustable razors, no big deal because the settings numbers are easy to read.
In a variation to the way I usually go about reviewing an adjustable razor, the first setting selected was #1. What’s this, mild as, and I’m enjoying the shave, can’t be? Yes, its true, I could have quite happily completed the shave at setting #1. Of course, I didn’t, but I enjoyed the experience right up to setting #3 before I could say that I had reached Karve CB level #C efficiency. All the way through the settings there was a pleasant amount of blade feel and small increments in efficiency as I proceeded up the scale. From settings #1 right to the top setting #6, the shave was unbelievably smooth and the delivered shave so close. The Denali did not put a foot wrong throughout the whole review; it is an exceptional razor by any standard. What really impressed me was that I could shave quite comfortably at every setting and that is something not seen very often on an adjustable razor. A brilliant piece of engineering, Denali, you have nailed it.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #6
  • #1 – Very mild but very usable
  • #2 – Mild but usable
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D plus
  • #6 – Karve CB Level #D plus – still useable
Blades Used – Ladas and Super-Max
Material –Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 96g
Head Width – 44.41mm
Handle Length – 80.82mm
Handle Diameter – 12.68mm
Availability – heritageandstyle@comcast.net
Final Word – One for the books

Last edited:

Here’s another one of those razors that falls into the ‘how am I going to get one of these’ category. Denali’s Adjustable was released in small numbers earlier this year and available exclusively from a shop in Italy that does not respond to emails; this one had me scratching my head. Everyone lucky enough to get hold of one was singing its praises so BST wasn’t looking like a flash option either. Sometimes, and I hate the idea, I’ve just got to accept that it is not going to happen. Out of blue, I get a hint that some may be available from USA and more importantly, I have an email address. That was all it took for funds to be exchanged for a razor.

At a quick glance the Denali Adjustable has a similar profile to that of the REX Ambassador adjustable and there is said to be a good reason for this. The Denali’s designer was part of the original three man team that commenced development of the Ambassador and the similar outlines of the REX and the Denali are probably a carry over from that early design work. No parts are interchangeable between the two razors and indeed both razors were machined in different facilities. Where the REX Ambassador and the Denali do differ significantly is that the Denali was designed as a much milder razor. There is Gibbs’ influence featured everywhere in the Denali; spring loaded bottom plate, it can mostly be stripped to its individual parts but separating the knob out of the handle has me stumped, odd width end plates, right hand threads, etc. This is one quality machined razor, every part fits perfectly and the precision of the thread engagement is first class. Of course, in true Errol fashion, every thread was oiled and operated smoother from the application of lubrication. There is satin finish applied to the plate that does not look out of place with the rest of the razor being polished. Readable size numerals, #1 through to #6 are engraved around the shoulder of the plate but what really impressed was an angled line engraved in front of the numerals that increases in width as the numerals got higher.

If questioned, I would always say that fitting a blade onto the cap is my preferred method of loading, however if the blade is loaded onto the plate, it’s no deal breaker, and I can accept the different approach. However, what I do find amusing is that a large percentage of the advertisement for a Denali razor is dedicated to the benefits of fitting the blade on the plate; it does work well for the Denali though. Because the threads of the Denali are all right hand, the adjuster works in the opposite direction to a lot of other adjustable razors, no big deal because the settings numbers are easy to read.
In a variation to the way I usually go about reviewing an adjustable razor, the first setting selected was #1. What’s this, mild as, and I’m enjoying the shave, can’t be? Yes, its true, I could have quite happily completed the shave at setting #1. Of course, I didn’t, but I enjoyed the experience right up to setting #3 before I could say that I had reached Karve CB level #C efficiency. All the way through the settings there was a pleasant amount of blade feel and small increments in efficiency as I proceeded up the scale. From settings #1 right to the top setting #6, the shave was unbelievably smooth and the delivered shave so close. The Denali did not put a foot wrong throughout the whole review; it is an exceptional razor by any standard. What really impressed me was that I could shave quite comfortably at every setting and that is something not seen very often on an adjustable razor. A brilliant piece of engineering, Denali, you have nailed it.

• #2 – Mild but usable
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 96g
Head Width – 44.41mm
Handle Length – 80.82mm
I want one!
And BTW, another super review. (y)

• #2 – Mild but usable
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 96g
Head Width – 44.41mm
Handle Length – 80.82mm
Awesome to see you grab one of these @Errol as observed the maker sharing it on various US/UK shaving forums. Looks like a vast improvement over the Rex with a smoother and comfortable shave. :)

• #2 – Mild but usable
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 96g
Head Width – 44.41mm
Handle Length – 80.82mm
Great Review, per normal, Errol. I've sent an inquiry to the email address you included
Take care!

Errol, I was able to snag one of these before they sold out. Looking forward to giving it a go and will report my findings. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Me tooI
mvkXdFY.gif

Timeless Titanium Slim Edition OC (USA)

When I first laid eyes on the TRH8 handle that Timeless released exclusively for their Titanium range of razors, I knew I just had to have one; it looks amazing. I had held off purchasing the Titanium Slim Edition because Timeless are so reliable and stock is generally available, so everything fell into place to purchase when the TRH8 handle was released. My other Timeless Titanium's have all been purchased with a matte finish therefore a polished Slim Edition Ti was in order. I had an idea at one time that I would only fit a scalloped cap to a scalloped plate; bloody ridiculous I know because the scalloped cap looks good no matter what the base plate so that box was ticked also. This is one stunning razor, highly polished all over, quality workmanship, slimmer than the standard 0.68/ 0.95 head and that handle!!!!!. Its front grip is dished out with square knurling that is not only pleasing to look at but should provide exceptional control also.

I had been looking forward to using the Ti Slim Edition and from the first stroke, it was immediately evident that an assertive razor was being used. Timeless’ Ti Slim Edition is a pleasure to use but don’t play around with it if technique is wanting; the Ti Slim Edition will exploit any faults with technique. Its efficiency is around that of a Karve CB Level #D; smooth as and with a pleasant amount of blade feel. There was never an issue with the featured TRH8 handle, ideal length, positive grip and maneuverability all combined to make this a handle to cherish. Timeless have proven yet again that a razor can be made to be both desirable and perform exceptionally well. Timeless’ stainless steel Slim Edition was my Razor of the Year for 2020 and this review of the Ti Slim Edition has only enhanced that conclusion, an exceptional razor by all standards.

Blades Used – Gillette Minora and Gillette Wilkinson
Material – Titanium
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 61g
Head Width – 41.4mm
Handle Length – 90.19mm
Availability – Timeless Razors
Final Word – Couldn’t get enough of it

Many thanks @Errol for what has been a wonderful year of exceptional razors and delightfully insightful reviews. (y)

A few more weeks left so can't wait to see what you have lined up but I'm certain they'll be extra special! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

I have the Timeless Bronze and don’t like it; had the .68 solid bar titanium version and didn’t like it also. So, it seems that I bought the wrong Timeless razors all along. Had I bought the slim version then I would be in shaving Nirvana. 😁

Timeless Titanium Slim Edition OC (USA)

When I first laid eyes on the TRH8 handle that Timeless released exclusively for their Titanium range of razors, I knew I just had to have one; it looks amazing. I had held off purchasing the Titanium Slim Edition because Timeless are so reliable and stock is generally available, so everything fell into place to purchase when the TRH8 handle was released. My other Timeless Titanium's have all been purchased with a matte finish therefore a polished Slim Edition Ti was in order. I had an idea at one time that I would only fit a scalloped cap to a scalloped plate; bloody ridiculous I know because the scalloped cap looks good no matter what the base plate so that box was ticked also. This is one stunning razor, highly polished all over, quality workmanship, slimmer than the standard 0.68/ 0.95 head and that handle!!!!!. Its front grip is dished out with square knurling that is not only pleasing to look at but should provide exceptional control also.

I had been looking forward to using the Ti Slim Edition and from the first stroke, it was immediately evident that an assertive razor was being used. Timeless’ Ti Slim Edition is a pleasure to use but don’t play around with it if technique is wanting; the Ti Slim Edition will exploit any faults with technique. Its efficiency is around that of a Karve CB Level #D; smooth as and with a pleasant amount of blade feel. There was never an issue with the featured TRH8 handle, ideal length, positive grip and maneuverability all combined to make this a handle to cherish. Timeless have proven yet again that a razor can be made to be both desirable and perform exceptionally well. Timeless’ stainless steel Slim Edition was my Razor of the Year for 2020 and this review of the Ti Slim Edition has only enhanced that conclusion, an exceptional razor by all standards.

Blades Used – Gillette Minora and Gillette Wilkinson
Material – Titanium
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 61g
Head Width – 41.4mm
Handle Length – 90.19mm
Availability – Timeless Razors
Final Word – Couldn’t get enough of it
Thanks, as always Errol. I have the .95 Titanium with this handle and absolutely love it. I have yet to try any variant of the slim so think that will be in order shortly. I now have several shaves in with the Danali and love it thus far. I'll post some comments in a few days after a few more rounds with that wonderful adjustable. Take care, Errol.

• #2 – Mild but usable
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 96g
Head Width – 44.41mm
Handle Length – 80.82mm

Excellent review.

According to my understanding there will be only a few more of these excellent razors available.

I've had mine for a few weeks and been very pleased with it. It's an easy to use, mild and smooth feeling, but also plenty efficient adjustable.

I've mostly used mine on settings #1, #2, #3, and #4, but it seems great on every setting I've tried. It might be smoother on #4 than on #2, but that could be my imagination. It's surprisingly efficient on the lower settings.

I use mine at a very steep angle with the handle near my skin.

My blade of choice has been the Wizamet SI. (I use only Wizamet SI and Polsilver SI blades.)

Great to see such a good review of a razor few will get to use. Lucky us, Errol.

You have many fans and followers in the US. We appreciate your honest reviews and comments.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Excellent review.

According to my understanding there will be only a few more of these excellent razors available.

I've had mine for a few weeks and been very pleased with it. It's an easy to use, mild and smooth feeling, but also plenty efficient adjustable.

I've mostly used mine on settings #1, #2, #3, and #4, but it seems great on every setting I've tried. It might be smoother on #4 than on #2, but that could be my imagination. It's surprisingly efficient on the lower settings.

My blade of choice has been the Wizamet SI. (I use only Wizamet SI and Polsilver SI blades.)

Great to see such a good review of a razor few will get to use. Lucky us, Errol.

You have many fans and followers in the US. We appreciate your honest reviews and comments.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Likewise

Excellent review.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Denali. I was alerted to this razor just s few weeks ago myself and have recently received it. So far it’s been a wonderful experience with the Denali. My thoughts are very similar to yours but will wait another week or so and add a few additional comments. Take care.

Asylum McMurphy (USA)

Good on Asylum for having the intestinal fortitude to front up with another razor following their failed 17-4 refund offering earlier in the year. In a move from left field, Asylum ditched anything to do with the 17-4 model name and simply called this their new entry the McMurphy even though it is machined from 17-4 stainless steel. When 17-4 stainless steel has such a well deserved reputation for its ability to take on a jewel like luster, why on earth would Bullgoose release a machined variant? Probably the bigger question is why anyone would purchase a machined version. In hindsight though, my decision to buy a machined version was a good move; there was a recall on a portion of the machined versions due to a polishing fault with the cap so I dodged a bullet on that one. It makes sense when you know that a razor is going to be polished to deliver the parts with minimal machining marks that must be polished out. As expected, there are machine marks on every part of this razor but I feel that polishing a McMurphy would be a reasonably easy task to perform on the presented machined version. One thing polishing would have achieved is to have rounded off all the edges and corners a little. As it is now, there are sharpish edges and square corners that need to be noted; I don’t think they will scratch or cut but they are annoying. Asylum were as good as their word and used a m5x08 thread for the handle on the McMurphy which features a close spiral wrap that should provide adequate grip; the machined surface will assist also.

How can Asylum, a brand that bought out a beast with their aggressive Rx single edge, then release the McMurphy as such a pussy cat double edge razor is beyond my understanding. With efficiency about that of a Karve CB Level #B, maybe a little higher and blade feel just on the plus side of neutral, this razor makes hard work of shaving and is not for me. If you like a smooth shave, this razor may fill that bill but don’t expect to get close shave without a lot of buffing. I was going to use a Feather for the second blade but decided against that; why sacrifice a perfectly good blade to make something I didn’t like, appear to work. Very happy to pack this one away.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue
Material – 17-4 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43.08mm
Handle Length – 80.51mm
Handle Diameter – 12.01mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – A dud

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year

Asylum McMurphy (USA)

Good on Asylum for having the intestinal fortitude to front up with another razor following their failed 17-4 refund offering earlier in the year. In a move from left field, Asylum ditched anything to do with the 17-4 model name and simply called this their new entry the McMurphy even though it is machined from 17-4 stainless steel. When 17-4 stainless steel has such a well deserved reputation for its ability to take on a jewel like luster, why on earth would Bullgoose release a machined variant? Probably the bigger question is why anyone would purchase a machined version. In hindsight though, my decision to buy a machined version was a good move; there was a recall on a portion of the machined versions due to a polishing fault with the cap so I dodged a bullet on that one. It makes sense when you know that a razor is going to be polished to deliver the parts with minimal machining marks that must be polished out. As expected, there are machine marks on every part of this razor but I feel that polishing a McMurphy would be a reasonably easy task to perform on the presented machined version. One thing polishing would have achieved is to have rounded off all the edges and corners a little. As it is now, there are sharpish edges and square corners that need to be noted; I don’t think they will scratch or cut but they are annoying. Asylum were as good as their word and used a m5x08 thread for the handle on the McMurphy which features a close spiral wrap that should provide adequate grip; the machined surface will assist also.

How can Asylum, a brand that bought out a beast with their aggressive Rx single edge, then release the McMurphy as such a pussy cat double edge razor is beyond my understanding. With efficiency about that of a Karve CB Level #B, maybe a little higher and blade feel just on the plus side of neutral, this razor makes hard work of shaving and is not for me. If you like a smooth shave, this razor may fill that bill but don’t expect to get close shave without a lot of buffing. I was going to use a Feather for the second blade but decided against that; why sacrifice a perfectly good blade to make something I didn’t like, appear to work. Very happy to pack this one away.

Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43.08mm
Handle Length – 80.51mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – A dud

Seasons Greetings to you and your family @Errol and many thanks for the detailed and insightful reviews! I can't wait to see what you have install for 2022!!! (y)(y)(y)

Asylum McMurphy (USA)

Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43.08mm
Handle Length – 80.51mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – A dud

Thanks again, Errol
Asylum McMurphy (USA)

Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43.08mm
Handle Length – 80.51mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – A dud

Thanks Errol and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Look forward to your reviews in 2022!