Weekly Razor Review

Hi @Errol would you class the above Claymore Evolution as a daily shaver or a tad too aggressive?

Congratulations @Holiday You are the first to pick up on the quality of the Claymore Evolution. I could use it as a daily shaver for sure. For mine, it is the best SE razor that I reviewed last year, better than the Stando, Vectors, Hawks. It is supplied with a horrible looking handle but Alpha will sell you a head only or swap out the handle.

Thanks for the advice @Errol one came up on BST for a very reasonable price. Not too many SSSLIM on BST but I am a patient man.

It is supplied with a horrible looking handle
That's what I meant about "a bit of a YMMV factor." I kind of like the handle, even if it does make the razor look like a space station.

XJVllWJ.jpg

That's what I meant about "a bit of a YMMV factor." I kind of like the handle, even if it does make the razor look like a space station.

XJVllWJ.jpg
I like a bit of FUGLY (Functionally Ugly) myself. It looks to have good balance and grip - FUGLY ergonomics

Last edited:
I like a bit of FUGLY (Functionally Ugly) myself. It looks to have good balance and grip - FUGLY ergonomics
Definitely a fine example of the Brutalist school of razor design. Trouble is, I don't really like any of the other Alpha handles any better. @Errol's assessment of the Claymore as being better than the Vector is interesting though. Even if it does look like the back of a bus... :unsure:

The majority of reviews of the Claymore I have seen have it similar to the Hawk with a preference for Feather blades so I passed (for now) and although IMHO the stock handle looks fugly, I'll be surprised if it wasn't of the high standard of previous Alpha products and the reviews indicate good balance and feel. I plan on adding one at a latter date as the QC from Alpha is fantastic and the Outlaw DE + BRavo handle are one of my favourite combinations...

Blutt got back to me.

The next run of razors is in February, and the baseplates will be available as well. There are only small cosmetic changes, no major design changes. They may be able to do a discount depending on how many we order.

So a group buy is possible, to at least save on postage and *maybe* with a small discount. It’s still a pretty pricey razor though with the additional baseplates.

@Errol Do you have an opinion about how the Blutt BR-1 compares to the Blackland Blackbird SS?

@Mistertaz The Blutt BR-1 gives you the option of four plates, my choice being the .99 plate, Blackbird no choice. The Blutt has a safety bar and of course the Blackbird is open comb. They are both great razors but I never named the Blutt BR-1 razor of the year to fill in the space.

@Errol Do you have an opinion about how the Blutt BR-1 compares to the Blackland Blackbird SS?
I am not Errol and hopefully he doesn’t mind if I reply to your question. There are pros and cons to both. The Blackbird does not cover the razor tabs fully while the Blutt does. There is slightly more blade feel to the Blackbird compared to the Blutt. The Blackbird is more efficient and I guess more aggressive but not in any way unsafe. One thing that I noticed with the Blackbird was a suction feeling when shaving WTG. However, it was my first shave, the lather was quite thick and dense so that could have been why I noticed the suction feeling. The Blutt razor that I have is in the .99 gap. I like the Blackbird a smidgen more.