Weekly Razor Review

Razorock SS Lupo 95 – Bulldog Handle (Canada)

I’m was sitting there studying the Lupo and knowing full well that the Lupo is RazoRock’s interpretation of a Wolfman, it just did not register. I could have named 20 different razors that this Lupo looked like before I got to the bottom of the barrel and suggested that it looked like a Wolfman. Extended head length covering the blade tab, rounded out sections on the corners, handle design and quality of the finish have all contributed to well and truly disguise any Wolfman credentials. This Lupo 95 is a totally different razor to the Lupo 72 reviewed previously. Details remain the same except it is fitted with the more efficient 95 plate and a Bulldog handle. My appreciation of well formed and smooth engaging threads is well catered for by the Lupo. Even before the drop of rod oil, the thread was a pleasure to use.

Just about any razor is going to feel tame after the ZO I used last week, however the Lupo 95 was a lot tamer than expected. Estimation – Wolfman WR1 0.67mm gap. I would position the efficiency of the Lupo 95 to be under that of a Karve CB level #D which is not significantly more than that delivered by the Lupo 72; still very usable and certainly a razor that I could also continue using for extended periods. It was a smooth shave and there was no more blade feel than with the Lupo 72. Razorock’s Lupo 95 is well made and delivers a smooth and comfortable shave without any nasty habits. Get your hands on one and give it a try.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Willy’s
Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 99g
Head Width – 42.97mm
Handle Length – 90.65mm
Handle Diameter – 12.75mm
Availability – Italian Barber
Final Word – Smooth performer

Nice review. Many thanks for the great write up

Asylum McMurphy (USA)

Good on Asylum for having the intestinal fortitude to front up with another razor following their failed 17-4 refund offering earlier in the year. In a move from left field, Asylum ditched anything to do with the 17-4 model name and simply called this their new entry the McMurphy even though it is machined from 17-4 stainless steel. When 17-4 stainless steel has such a well deserved reputation for its ability to take on a jewel like luster, why on earth would Bullgoose release a machined variant? Probably the bigger question is why anyone would purchase a machined version. In hindsight though, my decision to buy a machined version was a good move; there was a recall on a portion of the machined versions due to a polishing fault with the cap so I dodged a bullet on that one. It makes sense when you know that a razor is going to be polished to deliver the parts with minimal machining marks that must be polished out. As expected, there are machine marks on every part of this razor but I feel that polishing a McMurphy would be a reasonably easy task to perform on the presented machined version. One thing polishing would have achieved is to have rounded off all the edges and corners a little. As it is now, there are sharpish edges and square corners that need to be noted; I don’t think they will scratch or cut but they are annoying. Asylum were as good as their word and used a m5x08 thread for the handle on the McMurphy which features a close spiral wrap that should provide adequate grip; the machined surface will assist also.

How can Asylum, a brand that bought out a beast with their aggressive Rx single edge, then release the McMurphy as such a pussy cat double edge razor is beyond my understanding. With efficiency about that of a Karve CB Level #B, maybe a little higher and blade feel just on the plus side of neutral, this razor makes hard work of shaving and is not for me. If you like a smooth shave, this razor may fill that bill but don’t expect to get close shave without a lot of buffing. I was going to use a Feather for the second blade but decided against that; why sacrifice a perfectly good blade to make something I didn’t like, appear to work. Very happy to pack this one away.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue
Material – 17-4 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43.08mm
Handle Length – 80.51mm
Handle Diameter – 12.01mm
Availability – Bullgoose
Final Word – A dud

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year

That is surprising. The Asylum Rx level of aggression commands respect so strange they'd go the other extreme. Have you ever been tempted to shim a blade just to see how the razor would perform with a more reasonable level of efficiency? I know it defeats the purpose but it does seem a shame to waste a razor. It goes against the grain for me but it did mean the difference between me being able to keep the Rocnel Elite in service and I didn't want to move on such a well engineered razor especially when my wife had gifted it to me.

That is surprising. The Asylum Rx level of aggression commands respect so strange they'd go the other extreme. Have you ever been tempted to shim a blade just to see how the razor would perform with a more reasonable level of efficiency? I know it defeats the purpose but it does seem a shame to waste a razor. It goes against the grain for me but it did mean the difference between me being able to keep the Rocnel Elite in service and I didn't want to move on such a well engineered razor especially when my wife had gifted it to me.

Your words reflect my exact thoughts on the aggression levels between the Asylums. I've got plenty of razors that work well so I haven't shimmed any razors yet. I do have a couple of older Rocnel Elites that I've never used (probably similar vintage to yours) and one day I'm going to do a comparison between them; just don't go hanging by the neck waiting for it to happen.

There is a new Rx to be released soon that is said to be a bit more civilized than the old version. I'm actually looking forward to trying that one.

2021 Razor of The Year

To qualify for my Razor of The Year, the parameters are pretty simply; the razor must have been released during the year and I have used it. My selected Razor of The Year must deliver an outstanding shave (that suites me) and only a handful of razors have truly achieved that. Instead of going through each review at the end of the year trying to find the best razor, I jotted down the likely suspects as the review was completed. Probably a couple of surprises here but my short listed razors were:

Phoenix Artisan Accountments META-4 – As delivered, the META-4 is handle heavy with a finish that is as rough as guts but it has a unique head design with a recess in the edge of the cap. Its performance is on the milder side but it delivered an outstanding shave, super smooth, long lasting closeness, confidence inspiring and the razor is affordable. In perspective though, the quality of the finish is to be expected with the low cost of purchase. It’s some time since I reviewed the META-4 so I purchased a second razor to create a special META-4 that I used to confirm my findings: that special META-4 will be the reviewed razor for next week.

Monocero Husaria CC – Monocero’s Husaria CC razor was inspired by a shaving forum from Poland and machined in limited numbers, this razor is hand made and hand finished. This is an exceptional razor that met all my parameters for razor performance. Featured is the handle design that when combined with its dedicated stand looks like a ball joint. This razor is good and well worth consideration.

Blutt BR-1 Rasur – This razor carries the burden expected of a razor machined in Switzerland, however the Blutt can well and truly hold its head high. All its parts have been machined to very fine tolerances, its nicely balanced, has a quality satin finish and the delivered shave is simply superb. As good as a razor can be.

Homelike Taiga 2 Ti Adjustable – This razor gets the gong as the first machined titanium adjustable razor to be marketed. It can be disassembled without the use of tools; each piece is polished to a high standard and the whole mechanism functions perfectly. There is a good range of adjustability and at each setting there is a pleasant amount of blade feel. It appealed to me and is one of the best.

Alpha Claymore Evolution – All excess metal has been removed to leave a narrow profile head, it is fitted with a horrid looking handle but the handle works well and Alpha will swap out the handle if requested at purchase. Sits on the high side of mid aggression but it’s smooth and very close shaving, a delight to use.

Denali Adjustabe 2021 – The Denali is a quality machined stainless steel razor with similar looks to the REX Ambassador adjustable but that is where the similarities end. It is very much a modern version of the mighty Gibbs razor, able to be disassembled without tools with all right hand threads. It was very usable through its full range of settings on the rotating ring. Unbelievably smooth and delivered a very close shave. This is a brilliant piece of engineering, one for the books.

In the final analysis, there were three razors still in the running, the Blutt BR-1 Rasur, the Alpha Claymore 2021 and the Denali Adjustable 2021; how do I choose the best razor from three totally different layouts. After going over my notes numerous times I still had three razors that were exceptional shavers, however in the final analysis, one kept edging forward with its detailed machining, perfect balance, great handling, maneuverability and with its satin finish offering exceptional grip, that razor was the Blutt. My Razor of The Year for 2021 is the Blutt BR-1 Rasur, a rasur amongst razors. This selection will not surprise those who’ve used the Blutt, it is a delightful razor to use and a deserved of the accolades. My favoured plate was the 0.99mm plate but with three other plates to choose from there is sure to be an efficiency level to please even the most fastidious user.

Although named as razor of the year, the Blutt BR1 Rasur faced some serious competition:
  • Razorock SS Lupo .72mm – polished stainless steel, well disguised Wolfman heritage, shaves like a Wolfman WR1 with .61 plate, smooth, would make a great razor for the daily shaver, pleasing performance.
  • Razorock SS Lupo .95mm – polished stainless steel, not as efficient as expected but smooth and comfortable, this razor is good.
  • Lambda Ares OC – bronze alloy, highly polished, quality product, machined in Greece, rare but hopefully to be released in numbers, narrow teeth can be felt when shaving, very close shave, it’s good.
  • Mag T Delta – Zamac, tapered flat handle, cap and blade retained by magnets, poor grip, suffered cuts, suspect magnet slip, shaved OK, not recommended.
  • Leaf Twig – Zamac, takes ½ DE blade, one piece, twist to open action, light head, heavy bulbous handle, poor balance, head angled too much towards handle, continually riding the cap, dismal.
  • Pearl Flexi Adjustable 2nd Run – Machined brass, plated satin finish, clone of Rex Ambassador, follows on from earlier Pearl Flexi, no alignment issue, great value for money, an outstanding razor, very good.
  • Asylum 17-4 Stainless Steel – Well built, quality polished finish, machining error resulted in a razor that did not shave, an expensive mistake.
  • ATT X1 Single Edge Slant – Stainless steel, blade is angled to the axis of the handle slightly, no twisting torsion on the blade, shaves very good, no better than the S1 or S2 heads, gimmick.
  • Monocero Husaria OC – No teeth on comb, dimples, on par with a Muhle R41 efficiency wise, pleasant amount of blade feel, exceptionally smooth, effortless shave.
  • Stirling DE Razor Standard Baseplate – Well made, well finished, very aggressive with too much blade feel, did not produce an enjoyable shave, not smooth at all, close, there are better razors around, horrible.
  • Stirling DE Razor Hyper-Aggressive Baseplate – very aggressive, less blade feel than with the standard plate and a bit smoother, still not smooth, close, but not my cup of tea, hyper aggressive.
  • Stando Single Edge – New manufacturer from Poland, stainless steel, quality machining, short blade post, aggressive razor with positive blade feel, very comfortable and grippy handle, savage.
  • Stando Pazor – Stainless steel, open comb, satin finish, mid aggression, let down by a short handle post, smooth and pleasant blade feel, revised and updated model available, it’s good.
  • Muhle R41 GS – Stainless steel, satin finish, very slippery handle, more blade feel than the later R41 version, prefer the cast zinc version, slippery handle, catch the greasy pig.
  • Menlo Nealon – Quality finish, head is very light, non scratch polished finish, more than mid efficiency, noticeable amount of positive blade, inspiring.
  • Tatra Muramasa – Adjustable, Stainless steel, uniquely designed mechanism, plate expands in the horizontal plane, blade feel from negative to positive, mild, very narrow window of usability, a wasted opportunity.
  • Blutt BR-1 Rasur – 0.86mm plate – New manufacturer from Switzerland – 303 Stainless Steel, no machining marks, very thin end profile on the head, Karve CB #C efficiency, smooth as, very small amount of positive blade, inspires confidence, exceptional, Swiss quality.
  • Stando Eagle – Stainless steel, satin finish, Karve CB #D efficiency, positive + blade feel, very good.
  • Asylum McMurphy – 17-4 successor, 17-4 stainless steel, machined finish, sharpish edges and square corners, available in polished, very mild, disappointing.
  • Rocnel Sailor S 2021 Adjustable – Stainless Steel, lost about 48g from last years Sailor S, still overweight, very difficult to read light engraving, very well spaced gaps, progressive blade exposure, head heavy.
  • Haircut and Shave ZO74 – Gr5 Titanium, machined and light polish finish glistens, Karve CB #C efficiency, neutral blade feel, not for me.
  • Muhle R41 Titanium – Titanium, only 100 machined for each of the London and Berlin stores, drawing of either London or Berlin on the cap, over counter sales only, aggressive but very manageable, makes achieving great shaving results so simple.
  • Robin Classic DE – Silicon bronze, investment cast, machine and hand polished, small numbers of razors released, very mild, neutral blade exposure, not a good shave.
  • Blackbird Vector Titanium Single Edge – Titanium, same geometry as stainless steel version, shaves exceptionally well, light and maneuverable, a brilliant razor.
  • Maxwell June – Aluminium, cartridge style using 2 x ½ DE blades, requires a loading press to fit blades, minimal looks, shaves very well, close and a pleasant surprise.
Errol’s Razors of the Year
2017 Razorock Babysmooth Ti
2018 RAW Shaving RS-10
2019 Smart Helix Apollo
2020 Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm
2021 Blutt BR-1 Rasur

2021 Razor of The Year

To qualify for my Razor of The Year, the parameters are pretty simply; the razor must have been released during the year and I have used it. My selected Razor of The Year must deliver an outstanding shave (that suites me) and only a handful of razors have truly achieved that. Instead of going through each review at the end of the year trying to find the best razor, I jotted down the likely suspects as the review was completed. Probably a couple of surprises here but my short listed razors were:

Phoenix Artisan Accountments META-4 – As delivered, the META-4 is handle heavy with a finish that is as rough as guts but it has a unique head design with a recess in the edge of the cap. Its performance is on the milder side but it delivered an outstanding shave, super smooth, long lasting closeness, confidence inspiring and the razor is affordable. In perspective though, the quality of the finish is to be expected with the low cost of purchase. It’s some time since I reviewed the META-4 so I purchased a second razor to create a special META-4 that I used to confirm my findings: that special META-4 will be the reviewed razor for next week.

Monocero Husaria CC – Monocero’s Husaria CC razor was inspired by a shaving forum from Poland and machined in limited numbers, this razor is hand made and hand finished. This is an exceptional razor that met all my parameters for razor performance. Featured is the handle design that when combined with its dedicated stand looks like a ball joint. This razor is good and well worth consideration.

Blutt BR-1 Rasur – This razor carries the burden expected of a razor machined in Switzerland, however the Blutt can well and truly hold its head high. All its parts have been machined to very fine tolerances, its nicely balanced, has a quality satin finish and the delivered shave is simply superb. As good as a razor can be.

Homelike Taiga 2 Ti Adjustable – This razor gets the gong as the first machined titanium adjustable razor to be marketed. It can be disassembled without the use of tools; each piece is polished to a high standard and the whole mechanism functions perfectly. There is a good range of adjustability and at each setting there is a pleasant amount of blade feel. It appealed to me and is one of the best.

Alpha Claymore Evolution – All excess metal has been removed to leave a narrow profile head, it is fitted with a horrid looking handle but the handle works well and Alpha will swap out the handle if requested at purchase. Sits on the high side of mid aggression but it’s smooth and very close shaving, a delight to use.

Denali Adjustabe 2021 – The Denali is a quality machined stainless steel razor with similar looks to the REX Ambassador adjustable but that is where the similarities end. It is very much a modern version of the mighty Gibbs razor, able to be disassembled without tools with all right hand threads. It was very usable through its full range of settings on the rotating ring. Unbelievably smooth and delivered a very close shave. This is a brilliant piece of engineering, one for the books.

In the final analysis, there were three razors still in the running, the Blutt BR-1 Rasur, the Alpha Claymore 2021 and the Denali Adjustable 2021; how do I choose the best razor from three totally different layouts. After going over my notes numerous times I still had three razors that were exceptional shavers, however in the final analysis, one kept edging forward with its detailed machining, perfect balance, great handling, maneuverability and with its satin finish offering exceptional grip, that razor was the Blutt. My Razor of The Year for 2021 is the Blutt BR-1 Rasur, a rasur amongst razors. This selection will not surprise those who’ve used the Blutt, it is a delightful razor to use and a deserved of the accolades. My favoured plate was the 0.99mm plate but with three other plates to choose from there is sure to be an efficiency level to please even the most fastidious user.

Excellent choice @Errol! I couldnt agree more. (y)

Many thanks @Errol for what was a wonderful year as evident by the long list of premium razors! (y)

Hard to see you making a choice as many worthy razors but good to see some variety in the top 3 with the Blutt a worthy winner. ;)

Wishing you a blessed New Year and can't wait to see what hidden gems you uncover in 2022,,, :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Many thanks @Errol for what was a wonderful year as evident by the long list of premium razors! (y)

Hard to see you making a choice as many worthy razors but good to see some variety in the top 3 with the Blutt a worthy winner. ;)

Wishing you a blessed New Year and can't wait to see what hidden gems you uncover in 2022,,, :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
Haha, yeah, I didn't have any aspirations re: razor purchases for 2022 either but that's not allowing for the Errol factor.:LOL:
We've really got used to taking the Errol review for granted. If I start looking at a razor the first thing I do is check Errol's review.

Haha, yeah, I didn't have any aspirations re: razor purchases for 2022 either but that's not allowing for the Errol factor.:LOL:
We've really got used to taking the Errol review for granted. If I start looking at a razor the first thing I do is check Errol's review.
@Errol has been spot on with his recommendations in the past as the odd ones I've tried from his Reviews match his thoughts but I still can't get over the Rocca V4 experience, plus not sure why the Vector doesn't get a higher recommendation as the greatest AC razor ever!?!? :LOL:

@Errol has been spot on with his recommendations in the past as the odd ones I've tried from his Reviews match his thoughts but I still can't get over the Rocca V4 experience, plus not sure why the Vector doesn't get a higher recommendation as the greatest AC razor ever!?!? :LOL:
......but he does rate the Colonial General V2 highly......:LOL:

......but he does rate the Colonial General V2 highly......:LOL:
Yeah I regret not jumping on it when it was readily available as wasn't into SE AC razors and sadly its now unavailable as the reviews are quite positive. :banghead:
I recall @lerenau brought along his SS V1 to a Meet Up and it reminded me of a Rocknell 6S in appearance and heft with a nimble head.

Last edited:
Hi Errol, and happy new year.
When will you release the new TOP SHOT?
Ciao
Giovanni

You asked:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Double Edge
  • Alpha Outlaw
  • ATT Classic (R & H)
  • ATT Windsor (R & H)
  • ATT Windsor Pro SB90
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Blackland Blackbird
  • Blackland Dart
  • Blutt BR1 Rasor
  • Carbon Shaving Cx Titan
  • Carbon Shaving Cx Titanium
  • Charcoal Goods Everyday
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 1 (Level #2)
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 2 (Level #2)
  • Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
  • Gillette Aristocrat 1951
  • Haircut & Shave NO75
  • Haircut & Shave Titanium PO76
  • Ikon B1 slant
  • Karve Christopher Bradley (Level #D)
  • Lambda Ares
  • Monocero Husaria
  • Paradigm 17-4
  • Paradigm Diamondback
  • Paradigm Titanium II
  • RAW Shaving RS-10
  • RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate
  • RazoRock Lupo DLC
  • Razorock Lupo 95
  • Seygus Zeppelin V2
  • Smart Helix Apollo
  • Smart Helix Apollo Light
  • Stando Puzar
  • Tatara Masamune
  • Tatara Masamune Nodachi
  • Timeless Slim Edition
  • Tradere Gen 2
  • Weber
  • Wolfman WR1
  • Wolfman WR2
Adjustable
  • B&R Adjustable
  • Denali Adjustable 2021
  • Homelike Taiga
  • Mekur Progress
  • Pearl Flexi Adjustable
  • REX Adjustable
Single Edge
  • Alpha Claymore Evolution
  • Blackland Vecta
  • Colonial General V1
  • Colonial General V2
  • Mongoose SS Gen 3
  • Razorock Hawk V3
  • Rocnel SE-50
Budget
  • PAA MATA-4
  • Yintal DE
Best Travel
  • Colonial General Version 1

You asked:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Double Edge
  • Alpha Outlaw
  • ATT Classic (R & H)
  • ATT Windsor (R & H)
  • ATT Windsor Pro SB90
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Blackland Blackbird
  • Blackland Dart
  • Blutt BR1 Rasor
  • Carbon Shaving Cx Titan
  • Carbon Shaving Cx Titanium
  • Charcoal Goods Everyday
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 1 (Level #2)
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 2 (Level #2)
  • Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
  • Gillette Aristocrat 1951
  • Haircut & Shave NO75
  • Haircut & Shave Titanium PO76
  • Ikon B1 slant
  • Karve Christopher Bradley (Level #D)
  • Lambda Ares
  • Monocero Husaria
  • Paradigm 17-4
  • Paradigm Diamondback
  • Paradigm Titanium II
  • RAW Shaving RS-10
  • RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate
  • RazoRock Lupo DLC
  • Razorock Lupo 95
  • Seygus Zeppelin V2
  • Smart Helix Apollo
  • Smart Helix Apollo Light
  • Stando Puzar
  • Tatara Masamune
  • Tatara Masamune Nodachi
  • Timeless Slim Edition
  • Tradere Gen 2
  • Weber
  • Wolfman WR1
  • Wolfman WR2
Adjustable
  • B&R Adjustable
  • Denali Adjustable 2021
  • Homelike Taiga
  • Mekur Progress
  • Pearl Flexi Adjustable
  • REX Adjustable
Single Edge
  • Alpha Claymore Evolution
  • Blackland Vecta
  • Colonial General V1
  • Colonial General V2
  • Mongoose SS Gen 3
  • Razorock Hawk V3
  • Rocnel SE-50
Budget
  • PAA MATA-4
  • Yintal DE
Best Travel
  • Colonial General Version 1
@Errol, Are these in order of preference?

Alpha Claymore Evolution (Hong Kong)

Alpha’s Claymore Evolution is the result of another partnership between Alpha and Executive Shaving, you buy from either supplier and get their brand stamp on the exact same razor. I want to point out straight up that it was not the design of the handle that attracted me to the Alpha Claymore Evolution. I’ve seen the handle described as futuristic – others have called it old school, someone even described it as handsome; Mmmmmmm, don’t know about that. But to me, it’s plain ugly. Some people should not be allowed near a lathe if this design is the best that can be accomplished. Alpha must have known how bad the handle looked because they offered to swap the handle with others from their catalogue, I decided to stick with the standard handle and see how it would perform. Looking past the handle, the design of the Claymore is not all bad though and is said to have been modelled on the Executive Shaving Claymore. I’m thinking it would be the Version 3 because that was machined and the last Claymore made even if it was only available in limited numbers, however I see more RazoRock Hawk V3 and maybe a bit of Stando Single Edge influences in the design. There is a flowing curve over the handle post section of the head after a lot of unnecessary material has been removed from the top corners, permitting the head to be nice and thin; not Vector thin though. Alpha’s Claymore Evo may have a horrid looking handle but the thread engagement with its post is first class, smooth and firm. There is not a machine mark to be seen anywhere on this razor and it has been shot-peened to a smooth and bright satin finish.

Feather Professional Blades are recommended for the Claymore and to back this up, a pack was included with the razor, what better blade to fit first up; the second blade selected was the Feather Proguard and that worked well also. There was concern that some early Evos could not be fitted with all brands of AC blades, the blade posts were too wide. Mine was preordered so I checked that my Evo would accept other fodder that I might try to feed through it. I never used the razor with these blades but they were fitted into the razor: Schick P-30, Feather Professional Super, Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink. Despite the negative wrap I gave the poor handle, it worked surprisingly well. It actually felt very nice in the hand so one should not judge a book by its cover. Something inherent with the Claymore line of razors is that they all provide a very audible shave; the Evo proved nowhere near as vocal as the Claymore V2 but it could be heard humming along as the blade went about its business. Efficiency wise, the Claymore Evolution was on the high side of Karve CB level #D and with positive blade exposure the shave was certainly close, 12 hours later and I was still rubbing my chin in satisfaction. This is an excellent razor to use and I immediately felt comfortable shaving with it, but don’t become complacent, there is plenty of potential there to bite. Alphs’s Claymore Evolution is an outstanding piece of kit.

Blades Used – Feather Professional and Feather Proguard.
Material – 316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 109g
Head Width – 50.94mm
Handle Length – 91mm
Handle Diameter – 13.50mm
Availability – Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving
Final Word – Bloody good

Hi @Errol would you class the above Claymore Evolution as a daily shaver or a tad too aggressive?