Weekly Razor Review

Chiseled Face Ti (USA)

There were only 15 Chiseled Face Ti Razors produced in Batch 2 and I was lucky enough to snare one. A card that came with the package has the serial number of the razor written on it but there is no number engraved onto the razor; the makers name is the only engraving on the rear of the plate. Each razor is machined from around 500g of solid titanium; sounds like a hell of a lot of wastage to me but I’m sure the amount of raw material can be reduced as production ramps up. An unusual feature of the Chiseled Face Ti is the one long groove running through the centre of the plate that aligns with a long blade post incorporated with the handle post on the cap. Blade clamping is on large wide flats but there is an overhang of the blade and cap over the plate flat. An interestingly designed handle is fitted, smooth spiraling grooves along the length and a deeper centre recess that is placed spot on for the middle finger to sit in. Except for the rear of the cap, everything is polished to perfection.

While the presentation of the razor is impressive, its solid aluminium billet, machined case is another stand out feature; cow hide is used at the wear points and on the underside of the cap. This case and razor could withstand a bomb blast and survive but Groomatorium did not want any damage to the razor in transportation and packed everything in some strong fibre material inside the packing box. Let’s say the razor arrived in the exact condition it left the USA.

Gillette Silver Blues were included in the packaging, so there was my first blade selection done. On the first stroke, I took a double take to check I’d put the blade in, it felt like the Chiseled Face was doing no more than wiping away the lather. With efficiency on the lower side of Karve CB Level #C and next to no blade feel, it certainly felt that way. There was a blade fitted and the wiped area was indeed void of whiskers, I managed to get a close shave which demonstrated the true ability of the Chiseled Face Ti. In circumstances where the razor is on the mild side, I usually reach for a Feather blade second time around; not this time, I selected a Kai blade. What a difference a change of blade made to the performance of the Chiseled Face, there was now some blade feel, even some audio accompaniment but the shave was nowhere near as smooth. Those who choose to try a range of blades could be very well rewarded when they find their ideal razor/ blade combination. For this review, the Chiseled Face Ti performed flawlessly and done a fabulous job; if a safe, mild, super smooth shave with little blade feel rings your bell, here is the perfect razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Kai
Material – 6AI4V Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 57g
Head Width – 42.90mm
Handle Length – 84.66mm
Handle Diameter – 12.80mm
Availability – Chiseled Face Groomatorium
Final Word – A surprise package

Styletto - Gold (Italy)

Rasoigoodfellas in Italy were not the easiest company I’ve ever had to deal with. They refused point blank to ship the razor to Australia with some warped idea that it would cost both them and me money. Of cause it’s going to cost me coin but I cannot see how it’s going to cost them more. They would send it to USA, it’s no use having an onforwarding company address and not using it. There are three different levels of efficiency in the Styletto’s range. Something I’ve not encountered before is that the different levels of efficiency being colour coded. Silver is the mildest, gold is middle of the road and black is the aggressive model. I tossed up between the gold and the black finishes but eventually decided to go for the gold. I hope I chose right because I hate the idea of having to go through the dramas of purchasing from Rasoigoodfellas again.

If there’s one thing the Italian’s are masters of, it’s their flair of manufacturing precision and presentation. This unveils starts with stylish silver print on the matt black packaging, right down to the red band that runs right around it. That’s even before I lift the lid and get to the razor, what can be expected there? Said to be machined from stock that is an alloy of 316 stainless steel and titanium, they obviously did not want any corrosion problems, either metal would have done an admirable job. After all, it’s a razor they are making and not something that will be continually subjected to a corrosive environment. Styletto has a cap that is very thin in section with round blade posts that protrude completely through the plate. Blade clamping is achieved by large flats on the cap that marry up to equally large flats on the plate. In an interesting innovation Styletto have incorporated a nylon tip into the end of the handle, no more dropped nylon washers. Smooth-edged grooves spiral along the length of the handle, and this is the icing on the cake as far as presentation goes. Under the special metallic gold PVD coating the chassis has obviously been polished to a very high standard, there are no marks or blemishes other than the usual marks under the cap.

Any thoughts I may have had about this razor not shaving as well as it looked disappeared with the very first stroke. Here is a razor with Karve CB Level #D efficiency with about the same amount of blade feel as the Karve. It did not take long to be won over by the Styletto, it was smooth for such an efficient razor while delivering a close shave. There was good grip from the smooth swirls along the shaft and that length of handle is always maneuverable, the Styletto was no exception. I could not help myself thinking that here was a razor that performed very similar to a Charcoal Goods Level #2, and I’m a dedicated fan of that razor. This is my kind of razor and immediately had me pleased that I’d chosen correctly and probably more delighted that I did not have to go back to Rasiogoodfellas any time soon. Rasiogoodfellas should be offering the Styletto to the world, it’s that good.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Leaf
Material – AISI 316Ti Titanium steel – PVD coated
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 112g
Head Width – 43.01mm
Handle Length – 86.04mm
Handle Diameter – 13.46mm
Availability – Rasoigoodfellas
Final Word – One to remember

Styletto - Gold (Italy)

Rasoigoodfellas in Italy were not the easiest company I’ve ever had to deal with. They refused point-blank to ship the razor to Australia with some warped idea that it would cost both them and me money. Of cause it’s going to cost me coin but I cannot see how it’s going to cost them more. They would send it to USA, it’s no use having an onforwarding company address and not using it. There are three different levels of efficiency in the Styletto’s range. Something I’ve not encountered before is that the different levels of efficiency being color-coded. Silver is the mildest, gold is middle of the road and black is the aggressive model. I tossed up between the gold and the black finishes but eventually decided to go for the gold. I hope I chose right because I hate the idea of having to go through the dramas of purchasing from Rasoigoodfellas again.

If there’s one thing the Italian’s are masters of, it’s their flair of manufacturing precision and presentation. This unveils starts with a stylish silver print on the matt black packaging, right down to the red band that runs right around it. That’s even before I lift the lid and get to the razor, what can be expected there? Said to be machined from stock that is an alloy of 316 stainless steel and titanium, they obviously did not want any corrosion problems, either metal would have done an admirable job. After all, it’s a razor they are making and not something that will be continually subjected to a corrosive environment. Styletto has a cap that is very thin in section with round blade posts that protrude completely through the plate. Blade clamping is achieved by large flats on the cap that marry up to equally large flats on the plate. In an interesting innovation Styletto have incorporated a nylon tip into the end of the handle, no more dropped nylon washers. Smooth-edged grooves spiral along the length of the handle, and this is the icing on the cake as far as presentation goes. Under the special metallic gold PVD coating the chassis has obviously been polished to a very high standard, there are no marks or blemishes other than the usual marks under the cap.

Any thoughts I may have had about this razor not shaving as well as it looked disappeared with the very first stroke. Here is a razor with Karve CB Level #D efficiency with about the same amount of blade feel as the Karve. It did not take long to be won over by the Styletto, it was smooth for such an efficient razor while delivering a close shave. There was good grip from the smooth swirls along the shaft and that length of handle is always maneuverable, the Styletto was no exception. I could not help myself thinking that there was a razor that performed very similar to a Charcoal Goods Level #2, and I’m a dedicated fan of that razor. This is my kind of razor and immediately had me pleased that I’d chosen correctly and probably more delighted that I did not have to go back to Rasiogoodfellas any time soon. Rasiogoodfellas should be offering the Styletto to the world, it’s that good.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Leaf
Material – AISI 316Ti Titanium steel – PVD coated
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 112g
Head Width – 43.01mm
Handle Length – 86.04mm
Handle Diameter – 13.46mm
Availability – Rasoigoodfellas
Final Word – One to remember
@Errol the head design looks very similar to Charcoal Goods razor

Nice review!

I know that razors which show a lot of blade beyond the top cap don't suit me, regardless of blade clamping, as the blade still chatters against my stubble...unless it has a pronounced blade bend (e.g. Rockwell, RR-BBS, Progress etc).

From what I can see in the pic, it doesn't seem to have a pronounced blade bend. Would I be right @Errol ?

Nice review!

I know that razors which show a lot of blade beyond the top cap don't suit me, regardless of blade clamping, as the blade still chatters against my stubble...unless it has a pronounced blade bend (e.g. Rockwell, RR-BBS, Progress etc).

From what I can see in the pic, it doesn't seem to have a pronounced blade bend. Would I be right @Errol ?

I don't consider The Styletto to have a pronounced blade bend, but it certainly isn't flat. Perhaps the photo below may assist.

I don't consider The Styletto to have a pronounced blade bend, but it certainly isn't flat. Perhaps the photo below may assist.

Thanks so much!
Gorgeous view in the reflection!

Blade clamping and reveal reminds me of the tatara nodachi.

I got the Styletto Nero/Black. Shipping to nations near Italy within Europe is free and fast, so I had an advantage there. Also knowing Italian mentality and how they negotiate is of advantage, but Errol seems to have got it right. They are more flexible, fair and friendly than Razorock in this regard. Getting something into Europe has become more difficult and unpredictable, an Irish buddy has problems sending parcels from the USA to Ireland, they refuse correct customs declarations etc.. By now it is easier to buy on Aliexpress than to get anything from the UK, the EU is in full customs/VAT collection mode and customs is acting accordingly. OK. I deviate... back to razors.

I don't want to feed the cliché, but I once had a fling with an Italian guest student at university, and she did throw things at me, precious things. I am glad that I didn't collect razors at this point, the sheer thought of someone throwing my razors at a wall or me makes me sick. :troll:

I think of the Styletto as a Game Changer with adjusted gap and exposure.
1,166 for the Black <- I think of it as a Game Changer that didn't sprout teeth on the bar (JAWS... hehe) but rather opened its maw/jaw wide.
0,865 for the Gold <- a GC with a bit more gap and a fancy handle: the integrated o-ring in the handle is just cool!
0,565 for the Silver <- I am not sure if this one is even shaving with this geometry and such a low gap. Could be painful, at least for me. I like some flexibility with the angle.
The diagrams for the razor geometry are very interesting, the Silver has a decidedly different shaving angle. Exposure etc. also changes slightly for each model, from negative over neutral to positive for the Black.

I think it is rather the PVD coating than the spirals, but the handle is very, very grippy.

I am expecting a Nodachi in the next days, let's see if it feels similar. I rather feel reminded of the Game Changer when using the Styletto.

Above The Tie Windsor Copper Plated – SSRH (USA)

Above The Tie have been making and selling razors since 2011 and in their inventory are pieces that I felt that I’d like to try one day, simple little things like a bamboo handle, their recently released SSMR and SSRH plates and I don’t own a copper razor (still don’t). When ATT advertised a limited edition, five piece, copper plated Windsor with bamboo handle and both SSMR and SSRH plates, I jumped in to grab one of the five sets available. There’s a cap and stand to make up the five pieces. ATT’s Windsor has been copper plated over a stainless steel frame so features the strength of stainless steel and the beautiful copper toning without the softness of copper. Plating shows up any imperfections in the under-metal preparation and to ATT’s credit they have done an outstanding polishing job, however the underside of the cap retains machining marks. Copper, by hell it can change its appearance dramatically in a short period. Very soon after I unwrapped the razor I took it out for the photos, looked terrific. I readied the ATT about 24 hours before I was going to use it and every time I walked past, the copper just got redder. One shave and the light oxidation wiped off the wear points. This continued every shave so it would not take long for a patina to develop. Everything else about the razor is standard Windsor fare, pins heads protrusions for blade location but instead of a series of holes, this Windsor has three grooves along each side of the plate to clear lather.

By my way of thinking, the efficiency of the SSRH plate should sit somewhere between the old R1 and the H1 plates. ATT’s R1 always delivered a great shave and nothing has happened to alter that opinion; the H1 also delivered a great shave, a little bit more efficient but not with a high level of aggression. With this pedigree, I was expecting great results from the SSRH and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed. ATT’s SSRH performed pretty much as I’d expected; maybe up to Karve CB Level #D efficiency, smooth but nothing fantastic, and close. After sampling ATT’s bamboo handle, let’s say that I can now understand why I’ve not rushed out and purchased one before; it felt long, thin and the bumps were not necessarily where they needed to be; now I know. ATT’s SSRH is a bloody good razor, delivering a reasonably smooth and close shave with a pleasing amount of blade feel. A wonderful mid-range razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Rubie and Wizamet Polsilver
Material –
Stainless steel/ copper plated
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 105g
Head Width – 43.87mm
Handle Length – 89.00mm
Handle Diameter – 12.26mm
Availability – Above The Tie
Final Word – Bloody good

Wolfman WR2 Ti 0.95 – WRH4 Handle (Canada)

I was the successful bidder in a recent Wolfman Razors auction, a Wolfman WR2 Ti 0.95 was now mine. There are a couple of options on this WR2 razor that are not generally available, a WRH4 handle and a corrugated ribbed cap. There was no mention of the corrugated cap in the razor description, but it was stated that the WRH4 handle was only produced in 2015 and could be an option again this year. It is not known if the WRH4 handle is a copy of the BBS-1 handle or the BBS-1 handle is a copy of the WRH4 handle, it doesn’t matter and I don’t care, they are both a very similar pattern. Along with the differences described, this WR2 is machined from titanium and is presented in a satin finish, this is far from being a run of the mill WR2 Wolfman. There is little doubt that this razor was built as a one off, probably a prototype, but James has not taken any shortcuts, thread fit is flawless, everything fits together perfectly, and the satin finish is spot on, as expected of any razor wearing the Wolfman monica.

The ribs on the corrugated cap align with the serrations on the edge of the plate, therefore they are closely spaced. In true Wolfman fashion the handle feels robust, it’s nearly 3mm larger in diameter than the WRH3 handle. If I was ordering a WRH4 handle and the option was available, I would select the hollow handle option every time. Being a prototype though, this may not be the diameter of the WRH4 handle when it is eventually released as an option. When the specification to build my next Wolfman came in last week, the WRH4 handle was not listed as an option.

Thank you Mr Wolfman, for making this razor available for auction, otherwise I may never have revisited a 0.95 plated WR2. Not using a 0.95 WR2 again would have been to my detriment because using this 0.95 plated WR2 has been a delightful experience. It’s hard to believe that it’s nearly three years since I used the stainless steel version of this razor but the shave results are very similar; better than Karve CB Level #C efficiency, super smooth, very pleasant blade feel and as close a shave as you’ll ever experience. Something using the 0.95 plate has highlighted is just how close the Wolfman plates 0.95, 1.05 and 1.15 are in efficiency, all fall in that magical range between Karve CB Level #C to Level #D efficiency. At 15mm diameter, the WRH4 handle is certainly chunky in the hand but this did not hinder the the maneuverability of the razor at all. This razor delivered the best results from any titanium razor I’ve ever used, come to think of it, I cannot remember too many/ any better results from any other razor, this razor exceeded all my expectations.

Blades Used – Gillette Minora and Gillette The Spoiler
Material –
Titanium
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 78g
Head Width – 41.58mm
Handle Length – 92.22mm
Handle Diameter – 15.19mm
Availability – Wolfman Razors
Final Word – A tick of approval