Weekly Razor Review

Stunning razor and excelent review - thank you @Errol (y)
pPQa2FV.jpg

giphy.gif

Wolfman WR1 0.67 – WRH3 Handle (Canada)

I have been quite successful in acquiring razors from the current Wolfman ordering system; but remember back to when you couldn’t order a Wolfman for love nor money, then for us in the southern hemisphere, Wolfman changed the system to spasmodic releases at all times of the night. Thank goodness sometimes for a three hour bladder, I could check the Wolfman website at all hours of the night. When I first thought about ordering a Wolfman, it was a WR1 in 0.67 that I deduced would best fit my preferences. When the opportunity finally arose to make a selection, I deviated from my planned purchase and ticked the 0.74 box and then Wolfman introduced the WR2 and that attracted my attention for a while, and still does. Last year, I made a concerted effort to go back to my initial specification and ordered this WR1 in 0.67. A hollow WRH3 handle was selected and the whole razor is presented with the basic polish. As cited, when I done the comparison between the two Wolfman polish levels, even knowing this is the basic polish, it was still difficult to distinguish. With a weight of only 70g, assisted no doubt by the hollow handle, why do I need a titanium version of any Wolfman? Of course, I will be ordering another WR1 in titanium at some time; I’m not letting something as rational as razor weight detract from my desire to own and use titanium razors.

It’s been interesting to compare the WR2 and the WR1 back to back; both razors do a great job, it’s the way they go about the delivery that feels different. To my way of thinking the WR1 delivers a ‘raw’ feeling action with blade exposure, while a shave with the WR2 feels much more refined. A 0.95 is the standard plate in the WR2 Wolfman range and this 0.67 plated WR1 is one step up from standard in the WR1 range; this may have had something to do with the results. Efficiency wise, the WR1 0.67 is around that magical Karve CB Level #D range but displays more blade feel than a comparable WR2, the shave was reasonably smooth and certainly close. Following every shave I was left with a weeper or two, and that is not something I’ve encountered for a long time. Having said that this is a very good razor and well deserves its place up near the top.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Black and Wizamet Polsilver
Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Exposed
Weight – 70g
Head Width – 41.64mm
Handle Length – 90.45mm
Handle Diameter – 12.77mm
Availability – Wolfman
Final Word – Makes its presence felt

I have been quite successful in acquiring razors from the current Wolfman ordering system; but remember back to when you couldn’t order a Wolfman for love nor money, then for us in the southern hemisphere, Wolfman changed the system to spasmodic releases at all times of the night. Thank goodness sometimes for a three hour bladder, I could check the Wolfman website at all hours of the night. When I first thought about ordering a Wolfman, it was a WR1 in 0.67 that I deduced would best fit my preferences. When the opportunity finally arose to make a selection, I deviated from my planned purchase and ticked the 0.74 box and then Wolfman introduced the WR2 and that attracted my attention for a while, and still does. Last year, I made a concerted effort to go back to my initial specification and ordered this WR1 in 0.67. A hollow WRH3 handle was selected and the whole razor is presented with the basic polish. As cited, when I done the comparison between the two Wolfman polish levels, even knowing this is the basic polish, it was still difficult to distinguish. With a weight of only 70g, assisted no doubt by the hollow handle, why do I need a titanium version of any Wolfman? Of course, I will be ordering another WR1 in titanium at some time; I’m not letting something as rational as razor weight detract from my desire to own and use titanium razors.

It’s been interesting to compare the WR2 and the WR1 back to back; both razors do a great job, it’s the way they go about the delivery that feels different. To my way of thinking the WR1 delivers a ‘raw’ feeling action with blade exposure, while a shave with the WR2 feels much more refined. A 0.95 is the standard plate in the WR2 Wolfman range and this 0.67 plated WR1 is one step up from standard in the WR1 range; this may have had something to do with the results. Efficiency wise, the WR1 0.67 is around that magical Karve CB Level #D range but displays more blade feel than a comparable WR2, the shave was reasonably smooth and certainly close. Following every shave I was left with a weeper or two, and that is not something I’ve encountered for a long time. Having said that this is a very good razor and well deserves its place up near the top.

Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Exposed
Weight – 70g
Head Width – 41.64mm
Handle Length – 90.45mm
Availability – Wolfman

...another Wolfman :yawn:

I really enjoy your reviews, and it’s cool that you don’t resort to the kind of whisker-whacking puffery I sometimes see elsewhere”

“Long story short, the CG L3 is a Samurai that sticks to the code of BUSHIDO in every stroke. “LIFE IN EVERY BREATH” is what came to mind as I put the razor to my face and neck on every whisker decapitating stroke.

I mean that in a good way. This thing lays whiskers out like the 47 Ronin did to their enemies to avenge their Masters death and restore their honor.”

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Exposed
Weight – 70g
Head Width – 41.64mm
Handle Length – 90.45mm
Availability – Wolfman
Beautiful, as always, Errol! If you don't mind, what's your favorite Wolfman handle you've tried, i.e., which is most comfortable in the hand while still providing a secure grip? Thanks for your help!

Pearl Blaze (India)

Pearl have again followed the example of REX with their Envoy and released a fixed head version of their Flexi. This time around Pearl may have not repeated the design methodology used for the Flexi and simply copied the Envoy but have produced a head design that also appears to have similarities to razors in the Yaqi lineup, even Rocca-ish in some respects, but it does have lather clearing channels. Pearl have utilized the same manufacturing practice perfected with the manufacture of the Flexi in producing the Blaze, the chassis is machined from brass and then triple electroplated. This has resulted in a high quality satin finish that is very appealing to the eye. A lightweight cap is fitted but the plate is a more substantial piece. There are flats on the bottom of the cap but blade clamping is done against two inverted V’s on the top of the plate. These inverted V’s are positioned well back, therefore there is an generous amount of unsupported blade. A striking looking handle is fitted, pyramids machined at the centre, longitudinal knurling at the front and rear section and all this is highlighted with a flared Tradere look at the end.

You’ve no idea how close I came to packing the Blaze away after the first shave, what a mistake that would have been? On the second shave, I swapped to my favourite old boar brush and with a perfect lather, the shave improved out of sight – like chalk and cheese. With efficiency somewhere on the high side of Karve CB Level #C and a little blade feel, an extremely smooth and close shave was the result. For my preference, the handle is about 10/ 15mm too long and all the extra handle length done was get in the way, I’d also like a little more girth. It does not matter where Parker may have borrowed the design for the head from (doubtful that it would be their own design), the Blaze performed admirably for a razor on the lower side of mid aggression.

Blades Used – Tatara and Willy’s
Material –
Brass and electroplated
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 108mm
Head Width – 43mm
Handle Length – 98.27mm
Handle Diameter – 11.93mm
Availability – Pearl
Final Word – Not bad at all

Feather Popular (Japan)

A Feather WS-D1S was the very first luxurious razor I purchased. I’ve not forgotten about the Feather brand; they are all very good razors but they keep getting pushed back in the pecking order as I keep sampling the later arrivals. I’m going to do something about that, this week I’ve pulled out the entry level Feather Popular to run an eye over. There’s a combination of stainless steel, brass and plastic parts used in the assembly of the Popular; the opening butterfly wings are pressed in stainless steel, plastic is used for the handle and guard, brass for the internals. For a low budget razor, there should be good longevity and if there is a failure, it’s low priced so chuck it over the left shoulder and get another. At the front of the handle is a grooved silver knob; held firmly, the black plastic handle can be rotated and then miraculously, the butterfly wings open. Place the blade over the extended blade post and rotate everything in reverse and the wings close down firmly, all ready for action.

Feather razor, so it’s a Feather blade first up. The Popular delivered a shave that felt somewhat different to what I’m accustomed to; a light weight and a plastic guard would have a lot do do with the experience. While the shave could not be described as smooth, it certainly wasn’t rough either and I suspect that with use, the plastic guard would polish up and a smoother feeling shave would result. Efficiency wise, the Popular sits in the Karve CB Level #C bracket and with a pleasant amount of positive blade, the resultant shave is close. One thing the Popular did do well was to enhance confidence; I found myself enjoying being able to shave with little to no concern of consequences. It could be easy to come away with the idea that because the Popular is cheap and light, it is a flimsy shaving apparatus. Nothing could be further from the truth, it always felt strong and at no time did I have any reason to believe that the Popular would not provide years of faithful service. It’s not an overly vocal razor but it could be heard working its way through the whiskers; I find comfort in shaving while listening to everything working in harmony. My one gripe with the Popular is the length of the handle; lopping about 20/ 25mm off the end would improve the control and feel of the razor no end. There are millions of these budget Feathers in use, therefore the handle length suits many users. As a low budget razor, the Feather Popular delivered.

Blades Used – Feather and Super-Max
Material –
Stainless steel, brass and plastic
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 35g
Head Width – 42.57mm
Handle Length – 108.78mm
Handle Diameter – 11mm
Availability – Blade and Beard
Final Word – Good but different

Golddachs – Welshi 9306 Series (China)

All the accompanying literature for the Golddachs would have you believing that you’re purchasing some fancy razor out of Germany when in fact it is nothing more than a rebadged Welshi Butterfly Open Double Edge razor (9306 Series). This razor was acquired to be my travel razor but it has never been used either as a travel razor or at home. There’s not a whole lot that can be said about the Golddarch, Welshi’s have been around for ages and in that time there has been minimal changes. This particular razor is about four or five years old but I don’t believe there have been any/ many changes to what is available today. In common with many Welshi’s, it’s a brass alloy frame with a one piece twist to open butterfly design. Where this one is a little difference is that this razor is titanium plated, a deep smokey grey. Everything works smoothly and the doors open and close in perfect harmony, and to their credit, this is a common trait throughout the Welshi brand
My biggest regret with the Goddachs is that I hadn’t used it sooner. I’m sure the bloke who sat down and listed this razor’s specifications had done so especially with me in mind. With Karve CB Level #D efficiency, blade feel that was not overdone but certainly let you know that it’s there; a little audio accompaniment and its maneuverability was icing on the cake, I felt at home from the first shave. Maybe a little more diameter on the handle would not have gone astray, but with everything else being so perfect such a small oversight is forgiven. This is a fantastic razor; the Golddarch is going to stay in my wet pack as the travel razor I initially intended and as an added benefit it is always close to be pulled out to finish a shave when I’ve lumbered myself with a dud, I enjoyed this razor.

Blades Used – Howard and Gillette Silver Blue
Material – Brass Alloy – Titanium plated
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 62g
Head Width – 42.60mm
Handle Length – 85.56mm
Handle Diameter – 10.9mm
Availability – Out of production
Final Word – A delight

All the accompanying literature for the Golddachs would have you believing that you’re purchasing some fancy razor out of Germany when in fact it is nothing more than a rebadged Welshi Butterfly Open Double Edge razor (9306 Series). This razor was acquired to be my travel razor but it has never been used either as a travel razor or at home. There’s not a whole lot that can be said about the Golddarch, Welshi’s have been around for ages and in that time there has been minimal changes. This particular razor is about four or five years old but I don’t believe there have been any/ many changes to what is available today. In common with many Welshi’s, it’s a brass alloy frame with a one piece twist to open butterfly design. Where this one is a little difference is that this razor is titanium plated, a deep smokey grey. Everything works smoothly and the doors open and close in perfect harmony, and to their credit, this is a common trait throughout the Welshi brand
My biggest regret with the Goddachs is that I hadn’t used it sooner. I’m sure the bloke who sat down and listed this razor’s specifications had done so especially with me in mind. With Karve CB Level #D efficiency, blade feel that was not overdone but certainly let you know that it’s there; a little audio accompaniment and its maneuverability was icing on the cake, I felt at home from the first shave. Maybe a little more diameter on the handle would not have gone astray, but with everything else being so perfect such a small oversight is forgiven. This is a fantastic razor; the Golddarch is going to stay in my wet pack as the travel razor I initially intended and as an added benefit it is always close to be pulled out to finish a shave when I’ve lumbered myself with a dud, I enjoyed this razor.

Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 62g
Head Width – 42.60mm
Handle Length – 85.56mm
Handle Diameter – 10.9mm
Final Word – A delight
@Errol great review on this razor, have you tried the Welshi Nostalgic long handle TTO? Click here

71oXSxMkFmL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:

Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 62g
Head Width – 42.60mm
Handle Length – 85.56mm
Handle Diameter – 10.9mm
Final Word – A delight

Great review as usual. I enjoy the Baili BD177. Not sure if it is similar, same or different to the Weishi, but it is also a great shaver.