Weekly Razor Review

Oof. 😐 At €230 for the most basic finish, that was an expensive mistake. :(
There won’t be a bronze one.
I hoped you didn't pay for this razor, so you can give us a complete review?
I‘ve purchased every razor, bar one that I’ve reviewed, that is why I can tell the story as I see it. I’m not relying on a bullshit story to rely on my next razor for review.

I‘ve purchased every razor, bar one that I’ve reviewed, that is why I can tell the story as I see it. I’m not relying on a bullshit story to rely on my next razor for review.
a1240d91487e2849b04572edda647d3f.jpg

RazoRock Wunderbar (Canada)

My Wunderbar is not from the original batch, it was acquired sometime later, but to the best of my knowledge there is no differences between the batches. When RazoRock developed their Wunderbar slant, they designed it to have a massive amount of blade twist; the head is screwed to apply even more torque to the blade, offsetting the angle of the head to the horizontal, a true slant. No movement of the blade is possible because it is fully clamped between the tight radius on the top plate and the cap. One wide lather groove in each side of the plate ensures that lather is not going to clog up anything. There are many similarities in appearances between the head on the Wunderbar and the Ikon B1 slant however the Wunderbar lacks the roll over comb of the Ikon. Attaching a Super Knurl handle completed the build on the razor. It’s an interesting finish on the Wunderbar, more like a half-hearted attempt at a polish than anything else.

Loading the blade into the Wunderbar was a simple action but screwing the handle down required a couple of extra twists to clamp everything up tight, there is a lot of twisting action applied to the blade. It's a while since I sampled a slant and if they were all as good as the Wunderbar, why would you want to shave with anything else. With its Karve CB Level #C efficiency, smooth cutting action and a small amount of positive blade protrusion, the Wunderbar delivered a magnificent shave. It’s the guillotine cutting action of the true slant that demonstrated just how efficient a razor can be. This razor deserves all the accolades that have been given to it over the years, very enjoyable.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless White and Glatz

Material –
316 Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.9g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Handle Diameter – 12.69mm

Availability – Italian Barber

Final Word – Thumbs up

My Wunderbar is not from the original batch, it was acquired sometime later, but to the best of my knowledge there is no differences between the batches. When RazoRock developed their Wunderbar slant, they designed it to have a massive amount of blade twist; the head is screwed to apply even more torque to the blade, offsetting the angle of the head to the horizontal, a true slant. No movement of the blade is possible because it is fully clamped between the tight radius on the top plate and the cap. One wide lather groove in each side of the plate ensures that lather is not going to clog up anything. There are many similarities in appearances between the head on the Wunderbar and the Ikon B1 slant however the Wunderbar lacks the roll over comb of the Ikon. Attaching a Super Knurl handle completed the build on the razor. It’s an interesting finish on the Wunderbar, more like a half-hearted attempt at a polish than anything else.

Loading the blade into the Wunderbar was a simple action but screwing the handle down required a couple of extra twists to clamp everything up tight, there is a lot of twisting action applied to the blade. It's a while since I sampled a slant and if they were all as good as the Wunderbar, why would you want to shave with anything else. With its Karve CB Level #C efficiency, smooth cutting action and a small amount of positive blade protrusion, the Wunderbar delivered a magnificent shave. It’s the guillotine cutting action of the true slant that demonstrated just how efficient a razor can be. This razor deserves all the accolades that have been given to it over the years, very enjoyable.

Material –
316 Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.9g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Final Word – Thumbs up
The Italian Barber just last week reintroduced a small batch of Wunderbars.

Material –
316 Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.9g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Final Word – Thumbs up
Nice to see the Wunderbar reviewed by guru @Errol as its a solid performer.

Ikon X3 – Weber Classic Handle (Thailand)

Ikon were one of the very early companies to become involved in the machining of razors from solid stock but have not been finding favour with wet shavers for some time, they are fast becoming one of the almost forgotten brands in shaving. Ikon maintain a web site that I check periodically but I have not made a purchase from them in ages. I have examples of many Ikon razors and intend to run through them from time to time, this week’s review is of an older style slant with an aluminium head, the Ikon X3. It was available for purchase as a head only when I started collecting razors in 2017 and is still available today as a head only or can be purchased as a complete razor. Mine is fitted with the Weber Classic handle, a handle that was also readily available at the time I purchased the X3. Today, I would not be putting a 4in handle on any razor when there is a shorter option available, but I’m not changing it now. Ikon’s X3 is advertised as aluminium but it is not your average run of the mill, garden variety aluminium; it is an aluminium alloy that appears to be a lot harder and much more durable. When Ikon called this razor a slant, it’s exactly that, Ikon’s head design surely puts a twist in the blade. Clamping of the blade is positive over the full rounded surfaces between the cap and plate.

Everything about the shave felt so right and it was a pleasure to use such an easy going razor, it was 12 hours later before whiskers started to be felt. Ikon’s X3 has an efficiency level of about Karve CB level #B, but enough blade feel to let you know that it is working. How Ikon have been able to achieve such a pleasing result from what is basically a mild razor is a mystery when other mild razors struggle to achieve anything like a mediocre result – the slant? There is no need to tell you the that the shave was smooth, but I will, because it was all part of the X3 experience. I’ve long been a fan of the Ikon B1 slant (X3’s more efficient sibling) and I enjoyed the X3 almost as much, this razor is exceptional.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Iridium Super

Material – Aluminium alloy head/ Stainless steel handle

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 101g

Head Width – 43.16mm

Handle Length – 98.46mm

Handle Diameter – 11.69mm

Availability – Ikon

Final Word – Enjoyable

Focus Tritok Slant R63 (Italy)

Like its stablemate, the Tritok Concave R62, Focus’s Tritok Slant R63 does not apply much bending to the blade and there’s not a lot of twisting either; in fact, the blade almost appears to sit flat. However, unlike the Concave R62, there was no binding between the cap and plate in either direction, their fit is perfect. One thing I was not keen on is the sharp edges on the little extensions at the corners of the cap, but with the blade and cap screwed down, they appear to sit flush. Similarities with its sibling R62 continue, blade clamping is achieved over the whole of the top surface of the plate, and the whole razor has a commendable machine polished finish with the model details etched onto the top surface of the cap. On the top side of the plate is the etching of a blade, this is because the plate can be flipped over and it is a perfect fit to the cap on the other side also. If flipping the plate doesn’t offer a different level of efficiency, it should. I will swap the plate at some stage to explore the possibilities.

Wiping a wad of paper over your lathered face would remove some lather and would probably remove as much whisker as the Focus. First stroke and there was still lather on my face, second, third and fourth stroke – same result. Ah! maybe I’ve got this all wrong, the blade etching on the plate should face out; flip it over and the result, you’d better believe it, was worse. A super mild razor combined with negative blade protrusion ensured I hated every second of each shave. At first I thought there must have been sharp corners on the plate that were digging into me; check, no they are nicely rounded, it was the sharp extensions on the cap that were making their presence felt. An already unpleasant shave was made worse, they could be felt on each stroke. Even the ever faithful Feather blade failed to improve on the errors of the Focus’s ways. Angle did not matter, each stroke of the razor resulted in less lather left behind the razor, but the lather never cleared away. Focus can stick this one right where it fits, it’s a horrible bloody razor.

Blades Used – Royal II and Feather

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 114g

Head Width – 44.04mm

Handle Length – 90.84mm

Handle Diameter – 14.03mm

Availability – Focus

Final Word – A dud

Material –
316 Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.9g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 90mm

Final Word – Thumbs up
I bought this one many years ago (2016). I don't recall if it was from the first run or there was a second run but I always thought that there was some small variation at some point but I could never find a trace of it so I think you may have solved a long niggling mystery for me that I have for years. In terms of your review you are concise and accurate as usual. I agree with you. The Wunderbar is an excellent slant razor. It can bite if you aren't careful or are intimidated by it but that can happen with many razors. I shaved with mine quite recently actually and felt that the shave longevity was pretty good too.
I'm glad to hear you got around to this one and that it is available for everyone again. If only we could convince Razorock to do another round of Lupo DLC razors then I would be happy. haha.
Great review!

I bought this one many years ago (2016). I don't recall if it was from the first run or there was a second run but I always thought that there was some small variation at some point but I could never find a trace of it so I think you may have solved a long niggling mystery for me that I have for years. In terms of your review you are concise and accurate as usual. I agree with you. The Wunderbar is an excellent slant razor. It can bite if you aren't careful or are intimidated by it but that can happen with many razors. I shaved with mine quite recently actually and felt that the shave longevity was pretty good too.
I'm glad to hear you got around to this one and that it is available for everyone again. If only we could convince Razorock to do another round of Lupo DLC razors then I would be happy. haha.
Great review!
Actually there were some slight variations along the way -- and I studied this carefully back in the day. In later versions the long edge of the blade was closer to parallel with the long edge of the topcap. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know if this made for more or less twist in the blade.

Actually there were some slight variations along the way -- and I studied this carefully back in the day. In later versions the long edge of the blade was closer to parallel with the long edge of the topcap. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know if this made for more or less twist in the blade.
Thank you for adding some clarity to this. I always remembered there being something about it that had changed and for the life of me I could not find any details on it anymore. I have a vague recollection that the first models were a bit more unforgiving than the later ones. I do not know which category mine falls into only that it did bite me once and I never really forgot about it haha. Thankfully time heals all wounds and I was more recently able to rekindle my love for this razor. It's certainly an interesting shaver with quite the twist.

Hoffritz Slant Safety (Germany)

Hoffritz slant razors were made in Germany but were sold almost exclusively to the US market. Hoffritz razors are in fact rebranded Mercur razors, but the Hoffritz is acknowledged as having has superior plating to the doner product. There must have been thousands of Hoffritz Slant razors sold because at just about any time, a pristine example can be purchased for a reasonable outlay. It’s an older style razor with a longer than what we now call ‘normal’ handle post, complete with a knurled knob on the end of the handle to secure all parts together. The design of the head ensures that there is visible twisting of the blade. Adding to it credentials is that the blade is clamped on flats between the outer edge of the cap and a mating flat on the plate. Round blade posts protrude through the plate to expose their little rounded ends to gleam in the light and lather is cleared by one groove down each edge of the plate.

I never even finished the shave with my last razor; rip the blade out of that poor excuse for a razor, dug out the Hoffritz and stuck the Feather blade straight in. Medium efficiency, blade feel; this is living. Many who have shaved with a Hoffritz report that they thoroughly appreciated the experience and now I can fully understand their reasoning. Its efficiency sits around the Karve CB level #C and as with its pleasant amount of blade feel, the shave was ever so smooth. The guillotine action of the slant allows it to operate effectively at an efficiency level below a run of the mill DE. Its shortish, 75mm long handle proved to be very comfortable and provided excellent maneuverability for the razor, but I don’t think I’d like to go too much shorter. Hoffritz’s slant delivered an exceptional shave and although it’s not been sold for years, it can hold its own against many modern razors. Very enjoyable.

Blades Used – Feather and Howard

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 75.5g

Head Width – 41.25mm

Handle Length – 75.94mm

Handle Diameter – 11.54mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – A delight

Hoffritz slant razors were made in Germany but were sold almost exclusively to the US market. Hoffritz razors are in fact rebranded Mercur razors, but the Hoffritz is acknowledged as having has superior plating to the doner product. There must have been thousands of Hoffritz Slant razors sold because at just about any time, a pristine example can be purchased for a reasonable outlay. It’s an older style razor with a longer than what we now call ‘normal’ handle post, complete with a knurled knob on the end of the handle to secure all parts together. The design of the head ensures that there is visible twisting of the blade. Adding to it credentials is that the blade is clamped on flats between the outer edge of the cap and a mating flat on the plate. Round blade posts protrude through the plate to expose their little rounded ends to gleam in the light and lather is cleared by one groove down each edge of the plate.

I never even finished the shave with my last razor; rip the blade out of that poor excuse for a razor, dug out the Hoffritz and stuck the Feather blade straight in. Medium efficiency, blade feel; this is living. Many who have shaved with a Hoffritz report that they thoroughly appreciated the experience and now I can fully understand their reasoning. Its efficiency sits around the Karve CB level #C and as with its pleasant amount of blade feel, the shave was ever so smooth. The guillotine action of the slant allows it to operate effectively at an efficiency level below a run of the mill DE. Its shortish, 75mm long handle proved to be very comfortable and provided excellent maneuverability for the razor, but I don’t think I’d like to go too much shorter. Hoffritz’s slant delivered an exceptional shave and although it’s not been sold for years, it can hold its own against many modern razors. Very enjoyable.

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 75.5g

Head Width – 41.25mm

Handle Length – 75.94mm

Final Word – A delight
Another great blast from the past @Errol. I have an old silver plate version, which still gets occasional use.

UCS2glV.jpg

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 75.5g

Head Width – 41.25mm

Handle Length – 75.94mm

Final Word – A delight
My favourite slant @Errol it just has so much going for it, vintage, affordable, a true slant that twists the blade, the short handle for under the neck, and smoothest of all the slants I have tried.
Comfortable and efficient without being aggressive. (y) (y)

RazoRock Superslant Double Edge Razor L2++ (Canada)

RazoRock set out to create an adjustable slant razor but opted for the change of plate system to accomplish adjustability. There are three core levels of efficiency L1 through to L3 (L1 being the milder) but this is where it becomes complicated; within those efficiency levels there are between 2 and 4 different base plate options to fine tune the razor to the user’s requirement. Because I like a razor on the higher side of mid efficiency, I chose the L2 razor with the ++ plate; time will tell how close I’ve come to picking a winner, but at the time of ordering I had no idea of efficiency. With the cost of plates being on the high side, it could become an expensive exercise to get the razor fine tune to your personal preference. When compared to the Wunderbar, there is an additional bend in the smooth radius of the cap extending diagonally across it, blade clamping is still maintained over the whole top surface of the plate. I had it all figured that the Wunderbar had the gong for the most twisting that can be applied to a razor blade, then along comes the Superslant and destroys my theory. There is a machine polished finish on the Superslant, nothing spectacular but it does the job.

First issue; try as I might I could not get the first selected blade (a Royal II) to sit in position. It could be pushed down over the blade posts but as soon as it was assembled, it would spring open at one end. Nothing for it but to try another blade, the Super-Max went in but it could not be described as an easy fit; the Gillette Minora slipped in easily. RazoRock use good old fashioned knurling on their handles and while it may not look as tarted up as some of the more intricate designs seen on other handles, they always provide exceptional grip. The L2++ efficiency level sat about midway between Karve CB Level #B and #C and there was small amount of blade exposure. With those shaving parameters, the L2++, the shave was always going to be smooth and there was no complaint re the closeness of the shave, I just wanted a little more efficiency. Shaving with the Superslant was far from being a chore but personally I enjoyed shaving with the Wunderbar much more, maybe a L3 with a lower level plate would have been better suited.

Blades Used – Super-Max and Gillette Minora

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 107.2g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 82.03mm

Handle Diameter – 12.82mm

Final Word – Not a lot to write home about

Rocnel SE-P (Turkey)

This razor is designed to accept one half of DE blade, but the interesting part is that friction is used to retain the blade in a slightly radiused groove cut into the head: no mechanical clamping. There can be difficulty in loading a half blade when it has to be pushed down to ensure that it is fully seated to the bottom of the groove, I used the handle on my tooth brush to maneuverer the blade into position and to ensure it was fully home, a wooden paddle pop stick could be useful. Rocnel selected a heavy block of stainless steel for the head, it’s a two piece razor but it could have been a one piece because unscrewing the handle is just a means to remove it. Rocnel have tapped a hole in the back of the plate and use a 5mm fully threaded grub screw to connect the handle. One omission is any grooves to clear lather, sure there is a small channel under the blade, but it looks to be on the small side and will fill quickly. Recently there was a re-release of the 2016 SE-P; Rocnel even left the year marking as 2016 so I gather that there were no design changes. Mine is a genuine SE-P 2016 release razor and was electroplated with what they call a titanium coating but believe me it does nothing to reduce the weight of the razor. As with many Rocnel razors, this one is vastly overweight.

All loaded with half of a Leaf blade; hold everything, there is a strong Rocnel/ Feather tie up that was overlooked here - second blade! With the blade loaded, there is over 3mm of blade tab protruding out each side of the head and it looks menacing, especially when you consider that there is a ragged edge where the blade was broken and a sharp corner. Of course you could always snap the overhang off, but I chose to leave it in position. To use the SE-P you just have to trust that the designer got his calculations right to ensure that the blade is not going to move, and that it is going to deliver a safe shave but there is one saving grace, the blade is naturally being forced into the bottom of the groove while shaving. Shaving around the nose was the only area where I had to think a little about personal safety, but for the rest of the shave the excess blade tab was not an issue. In the back of my head there was always a thought that this razor was going to be aggressive so you can imagine the surprise when the SE-P produced a shave around the Karve CB Level #C efficiency. Rocnel designed in a pleasant amount of blade protrusion, so the shave was very smooth. Trouble was encountered while inserting the second half of the Feather blade, it could not be coaxed, forced or pushed to sit at the bottom of the groove, no matter what I done, it just would not seat fully. I could not find anything obviously wrong; in the end I grabbed the one I had just pulled out and it fitted like a glove. Now that I was once again was using a Rocnel product, I was so looking forward to enjoying the Rocnel Rhapsody but that big lump of head would dampen any likely vibration that might make a tune. To even think about using a razor where the blade is held only by friction is not going to sit well with many and I’ll be the first to admit that this razor is not for everyone; go on - live dangerously. I do have the open comb SE-P version, so here’s hoping it is fractionally more aggressive, looking forward now to trotting that one out one day.

Blades Used – Leaf and Feather

Material – 316 Stainless Steel – Titanium coated

Blade Tab – Well and truly exposed

Weight – 138.2g

Head Width – 36.02mm

Handle Length – 85.03mm

Handle Diameter – 13.2mm

Availability – Re-release available from Rocnel

Final Word – Life on the edge

Theoretically you can now buy plates till one suits nicely, but I think the Wunderbar-level is reached somewhere above L3 SB.

(Review released while I was typing...^^)

Now that's one weird design! Maybe the overhang is used to adjust the blade position. Half DE blades seem very popular in Turkey, they even sell already broken ones and the popular Sedef shavette does so, too.