Weekly Razor Review

Wolfman WR4 0.70 – WRH3 Handle (Canada)

A more or less expected announcement that Wolfman was about to release a razor for the Artist Club blade still attracted my attention, I was anxious to get one for a trial. It would be available in different levels of efficiency with the 0.50 gap being the standard for the initial runs till more feedback became available. I thought long and hard about choosing between the 0.60 or 0.07 plates before eventually deciding on a 0.70 plate with safety bar for my first WR4. Ordered in 316L stainless steel with a basic polish, hollow WRH3 handle and 90mm long, this razor looks incredible in true Wolfman fashion. Wolfman chose not to remove material from the side of their handle post resulting in the handle being attached above the blade similar to razors like the Hawk, Outlaw and General. For this very reason there are many similarities in appearance between the WR4 and these razors but where the WR4 differs from the many AC razors is that more rake has been added to the blade. Typical of Wolfman razors, there is no excess metal in the head thus making both the cap and plate quite thin. There are elongated blade posts on the cap that mate into shallow and corresponding grooves in the plate. With a blade fitted any mating of the blade post into the groove is non-existent as the blade posts stand only about one blade thickness tall. Assisting alignment between the cap and plate is a square block at the base of the handle post and a corresponding groove in the plate.

I was quite satisfied with the choice of a 0.70 plate for this WR4, efficiency was marginally in excess of Karve CB Level #D and there was an appropriate amount of blade feel. Sharp AC blades ensured that the shave was reasonably smooth and with the positive blade exposure, the shave was always going to be close. Using the WR4 was a pleasure, it may not be Vector thin but it falls in line with the majority of AC razors that have not had the sides machined off their handle posts. Now that I have a gauge on how the 0.70mm plate functions I will face a lot less stress when it comes to selecting the OC plate for my next WR4, probably 0.60. Initially I was thinking that this razor would be good enough to make the decision difficult for anyone looking for a top shelf SE razor; but by the end of the review my thought process had swung a little, this razor leaves other AC razors in its wake and is straight to the top of the SE tree, its results are impressive.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Kai Captain Titan Mild

Material – 316L Stainless steel

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 61.9g

Head Width – 50.77mm

Handle Length – 89.71mm

Handle Diameter – 12.68 mm

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Polished perfection
Trust Wolfman to release a SE AC style razor and nail it first go! Always fascinated to see new gear and nobody does a better job in reviewing a razor than @Errol so well done and I now know what razor I'd love to add to the collection someday as it ticks plenty of boxes... (y) 😍

Trust Wolfman to release a SE AC style razor and nail it first go! Always fascinated to see new gear and nobody does a better job in reviewing a razor than @Errol so well done and I now know what razor I'd love to add to the collection someday as it ticks plenty of boxes... (y) 😍
Aaaaah…. It’s just another bloody SE razor, and I can tell @Gargravarr is reaching towards the WR4 panicking buy button…. Go on @Gargravarr, you know you want it.

Now that I have a gauge on how the 0.70mm plate functions I will face a lot less stress when it comes to selecting the OC plate for my next WR4, probably 0.60
Thanks for the review @Errol , not the enabling :) If you were to choose SB again would you still go with 0.70 or 0.60?

@Holiday I like to experiment a bit so the 0.60 would get the nod over the 0.70. I’m thinking it would not be a 0.80, but I’ve done silly things before.
Thanks for the heads-up, that's just the information I was looking for.
Aaaaah…. It’s just another bloody SE razor, and I can tell @Gargravarr is reaching towards the WR4 panicking buy button…. Go on @Gargravarr, you know you want it.
I was on the wait list a while back, but that gave me plenty of time to reconsider, which is what I did. Since then, I found out about the Atelier Durdan Vestige, which has sort of caught my attention. Given the price, the choice is very much one or the other, so I shall think about it some more. I can't really justify getting either, but get me drunk enough... :unsure:

In the meantime, it's just good to know the WR4 isn't a lemon like the WR3, so thanks @Errol.

@Holiday I like to experiment a bit so the 0.60 would get the nod over the 0.70. I’m thinking it would not be a 0.80, but I’ve done silly things before.
Talking of silly things, the silliest thing I can recall doing is riding my motorcycle home (from a pub, long long ago) late at night, pulling in at a petrol station to refuel in the dark. I wasn't sure how much petrol was left in the tank, so what to do? Obvious:

Strike a match and have a look. :facepalm:

Yes, I really did. The good news is that somehow it filtered through to what sometimes passes for my brain that this wasn't the cleverest thing I'd ever done, and shook out the match in time. But still...

gibbs-slap.gif

Yes, I really did. The good news is that somehow it filtered through to what sometimes passes for my brain that this wasn't the cleverest thing I'd ever done, and shook out the match in time. But still...
Done too many stupid things to recall or regret them all but joking with a mate. He had the bike and I had the license. Might have been stoned or drunk at the time and his bike wouldn't start. Joking shall we see if there's any fuel and strikes a match WHOOSH WAAAH!

Luckily my mate was quick enough to close the cap and extinguish the flame resulting in only a few singed eyebrows. A very humbling experience.

Shield SE Avenger Ti (China)

Shield’s SE Avenger was offered for sale at the same time as the DE Defender, so I put my name on one of them also. There are a few SE razors around with similar head designs, so the pattern for the Avenger could have been borrowed from something like a Colonial General V2, maybe a Above The Tie Single Edge or something totally different, there’s a few to choose from. One give away in its heritage is that the blade is positioned and located on pins so maybe there was more Above The Tie SE influence than others in the design. Everything about the Avenger displays quality, no machine marks, flush alignment of parts, rounded off edges, thread engagement and feel; Shield have delivered a faultlessly finished razor without any visible flaws. It’s a satin finish that adorns the Avenger, no complaints from me in that regard. Here's hoping the shave matches the quality of the machining.

It's half dark, I cannot see much without my glasses, the cap in one hand, blade in the other, just enough light to make out which is the sharp side, the blade keeps sliding off – the blade locating pins are in the plate, loaded, all set for tomorrow’s shave. Moving onto the shave – credit where credit is due; I was very impressed with the WR4 last week and if I’d been blindfolded, it would have been very difficult to pick any differences between the WR4 and the Avenger. I’m going to suggest that the Avenger may have marginally more blade feel but there is so little in it. With efficiency just on the high side of Karve CB level #D and beautifully smooth, of course the shave was close, what more could anyone ask for. Shield are a cut above other Chinese razor producers; their machining is spot on and the quality of their delivered shave is great, so far I’ve not been disappointed with any Shield razor I’ve used. To make the Avenger even more appealing to some, it is also available in a polished version. Loved it.

Blades Used – Feather Professional and Feather ProGuard

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 71g

Head Width – 50.02mm

Handle Length – 90.09mm

Handle Diameter – 13.49mm

Availability – Boti Shave Brushes

Final Word – Stellar Performance

Boti Razor Feather - Titanium (China)

A time warp back to the hippie days of the 1960’s - the odds are pretty good that someone reading this review was conceived in the back of Kombi van that was painted in very much the same colour scheme as this razor, ahhh!!! those were the days. Under the highly decorative coating of the Boti Feather is a Shield razor, even if ‘BOTI’ has been engraved into the back of the plate. That applied artistic work does not go past the handle and the top of the cap leaving the surface with a dimpled effect, everything else remains smooth. Each piece of the razor is shaded in different colours, blues, black, purple, gold and every shade in between which might make you think it was a hotch potch job, but when the razor is all assembled, it is all so classy. There were three different colour schemes to choose from, all featuring a deep blue background but with different themes, mine has the feathers look. Pins are employed on the top of the plate for positioning of the blade, with corresponding holes in the cap and the handle post is positioned above the blade.

With a feather pattern on the razor, how could I not start with a Feather blade; not the Feather Professional Super, they might be a bit too severe in this razor for this little black duck; just the Professional. In its transition to becoming an artistic masterpiece, the feel of the Boti has not changed significantly, it still shaves very similar to the doner Shield Avenger SE but with a little more positive blade protrusion. Efficiency is above Karve CB level #D and even with its positive blade feel, the shave was both close and smooth. There were no issues with the surface on the handle, those dimples done a magnificent job in providing grip. An artistic masterpiece that provided stellar performance, one that will be remembered.

Blades Used – Feather Professional and Schick P-30

Material – Gr 5 Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 70g

Head Width – 51.51mm

Handle Length – 90.05mm

Handle Diameter – 13.38mm

Availability – Boti Shaving Brushes

Final Word – Pretty boy

A time warp back to the hippie days of the 1960’s - the odds are pretty good that someone reading this review was conceived in the back of Kombi van that was painted in very much the same colour scheme as this razor, ahhh!!! those were the days. Under the highly decorative coating of the Boti Feather is a Shield razor, even if ‘BOTI’ has been engraved into the back of the plate. That applied artistic work does not go past the handle and the top of the cap leaving the surface with a dimpled effect, everything else remains smooth. Each piece of the razor is shaded in different colours, blues, black, purple, gold and every shade in between which might make you think it was a hotch potch job, but when the razor is all assembled, it is all so classy. There were three different colour schemes to choose from, all featuring a deep blue background but with different themes, mine has the feathers look. Pins are employed on the top of the plate for positioning of the blade, with corresponding holes in the cap and the handle post is positioned above the blade.

With a feather pattern on the razor, how could I not start with a Feather blade; not the Feather Professional Super, they might be a bit too severe in this razor for this little black duck; just the Professional. In its transition to becoming an artistic masterpiece, the feel of the Boti has not changed significantly, it still shaves very similar to the doner Shield Avenger SE but with a little more positive blade protrusion. Efficiency is above Karve CB level #D and even with its positive blade feel, the shave was both close and smooth. There were no issues with the surface on the handle, those dimples done a magnificent job in providing grip. An artistic masterpiece that provided stellar performance, one that will be remembered.

Material – Gr 5 Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 70g

Head Width – 51.51mm

Handle Length – 90.05mm

Final Word – Pretty boy
Fantastic review @Errol and well done @klinker as its always a pleasure seeing this beauty in your SOTD posts so knowing that it shaves around Karve-D range has peaked my interest... 🤔

Material – Gr 5 Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 70g

Head Width – 51.51mm

Handle Length – 90.05mm

Final Word – Pretty boy
Looks too lumpy and bumpy for a pretty boy :wtf:

Dscosmetics Legend SE (China)

There was a huge uproar when this razor was released, a blatant copy of the Alpha Claymore Evolution. Yes, there is credit in that comment, but it also looks like others, notably the Razorock Hawk and if I was designing it, I would have machined the area around the handle post to a smooth flowing curve also, just like the Claymore. It does look very much like the Claymore Evolution so in all probability that is where the design originated from but all the ranting and raving in the world is not going to stop copies of reputable razors being shipped out of China by the boatload.

Said to be available in stainless steel, copper and titanium, the stainless steel version was the only one available option when I went to buy. I’m very fond of a stainless steel razor so I was not too disappointed that the titanium version was not on offer. There is no doubt a titanium Legend will be available sometime and, in all probability, they will be a bargain. Chinese manufacturers are showing how much the wet shaving public is being ripped off by the ‘brand’ companies supplying titanium razors; the Chinese can sell their ‘said to be’ Gr 5 titanium and stainless steel products at the same price, sometimes titanium is even less expensive. Again, the Legend was released as a head only so a stainless steel Yaqi Chippendale handle was chosen to complete the build. One way of describing the Chippendale handle is that it somewhat resembles a Darwin handle. In the transition from the Darwin design handle with its traditional hexagonal cross section, Yaqi dropped two faces and made it a square cross section. Just unscrewing the handle to fit the blade felt awkward and clumsy because of the square section handle, we’ll see how it performs. To the Legend’s credit there are prominent elongated blade posts positioned on the cap that make blade loading a breeze. With the blade positioned flush against the handle post, the profile of the head is as low as it could be without trying to poke a round handle post through the narrow, elongated slit in an AC blade. Like many other Chinese made razors, a silicon washer was supplied to prevent damage to the handle and plate when the razor is assembled, being so flimsy all it done was bind everything up; out with it, and in with a nylon washer. For the first time ever with a Dscosmetic razor, there are no complaints about thread engagement, sure there is room for improvement but it’s not bad. When assembled with a blade fitted, the squared section Chippendale handle sits roughly 45 degrees to the head. The Legend/ Chippendale combination looks superb, a polished finish with a bit of style, however machine marks are abundant under the cap. Since switching to machining razors on CNC machines, there has been very few if any alignment issues reported in Dscosmetics razors, there were certainly none on this Legend.

Even though the Legend SE was severely handicapped by paring it with the Chippendale handle, it still managed to deliver wonderful shaves. There is little doubt that the Chippendale handle did nothing to improve the ergonomics of the razor and it would have felt one hell of a lot better with just about any other handle. The Chippendale handle was horrible, square sectioned handles are just not suitable for shaving. With efficiency about midway between Karve CB #C and #D levels and appropriate positive blade exposure the shave was both smooth and close. Imagine for a moment that the Legend is a clone of the Alpha Claymore Evolution, I here to say that the shave was equally as satisfying, the Legend done a fabulous job, but do yourself a favour - leave the Chippendale handles for someone else.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather Professional

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 72.8g

Head Width – 50.31mm

Handle Length – 87.95mm

Availability – Aliexpress

Final Word - Commendable

There was a huge uproar when this razor was released, a blatant copy of the Alpha Claymore Evolution. Yes, there is credit in that comment, but it also looks like others, notably the Razorock Hawk and if I was designing it, I would have machined the area around the handle post to a smooth flowing curve also, just like the Claymore. It does look very much like the Claymore Evolution so in all probability that is where the design originated from but all the ranting and raving in the world is not going to stop copies of reputable razors being shipped out of China by the boatload.

Said to be available in stainless steel, copper and titanium, the stainless steel version was the only one available option when I went to buy. I’m very fond of a stainless steel razor so I was not too disappointed that the titanium version was not on offer. There is no doubt a titanium Legend will be available sometime and, in all probability, they will be a bargain. Chinese manufacturers are showing how much the wet shaving public is being ripped off by the ‘brand’ companies supplying titanium razors; the Chinese can sell their ‘said to be’ Gr 5 titanium and stainless steel products at the same price, sometimes titanium is even less expensive. Again, the Legend was released as a head only so a stainless steel Yaqi Chippendale handle was chosen to complete the build. One way of describing the Chippendale handle is that it somewhat resembles a Darwin handle. In the transition from the Darwin design handle with its traditional hexagonal cross section, Yaqi dropped two faces and made it a square cross section. Just unscrewing the handle to fit the blade felt awkward and clumsy because of the square section handle, we’ll see how it performs. To the Legend’s credit there are prominent elongated blade posts positioned on the cap that make blade loading a breeze. With the blade positioned flush against the handle post, the profile of the head is as low as it could be without trying to poke a round handle post through the narrow, elongated slit in an AC blade. Like many other Chinese made razors, a silicon washer was supplied to prevent damage to the handle and plate when the razor is assembled, being so flimsy all it done was bind everything up; out with it, and in with a nylon washer. For the first time ever with a Dscosmetic razor, there are no complaints about thread engagement, sure there is room for improvement but it’s not bad. When assembled with a blade fitted, the squared section Chippendale handle sits roughly 45 degrees to the head. The Legend/ Chippendale combination looks superb, a polished finish with a bit of style, however machine marks are abundant under the cap. Since switching to machining razors on CNC machines, there has been very few if any alignment issues reported in Dscosmetics razors, there were certainly none on this Legend.

Even though the Legend SE was severely handicapped by paring it with the Chippendale handle, it still managed to deliver wonderful shaves. There is little doubt that the Chippendale handle did nothing to improve the ergonomics of the razor and it would have felt one hell of a lot better with just about any other handle. The Chippendale handle was horrible, square sectioned handles are just not suitable for shaving. With efficiency about midway between Karve CB #C and #D levels and appropriate positive blade exposure the shave was both smooth and close. Imagine for a moment that the Legend is a clone of the Alpha Claymore Evolution, I here to say that the shave was equally as satisfying, the Legend done a fabulous job, but do yourself a favour - leave the Chippendale handles for someone else.

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 72.8g

Head Width – 50.31mm

Handle Length – 87.95mm

Final Word - Commendable
giphy.gif

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 72.8g

Head Width – 50.31mm

Handle Length – 87.95mm

Final Word - Commendable
Thanks again @Errol for enlightening us with the latest Review and another SE AC style razor from China. I missed out on trying the Alpha Claymore yet appreciate it's a decent shaver and as nice as this one looks I'd be more inclined to go with Alpha's version as we all know the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...