Weekly Razor Review

Thanks again @Errol for enlightening us with the latest Review and another SE AC style razor from China. I missed out on trying the Alpha Claymore yet appreciate it's a decent shaver and as nice as this one looks I'd be more inclined to go with Alpha's version as we all know the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...
You really need to get yourself a bloody Blackbird, otherwise, you’ll keep on missing out.

You really need to get yourself a bloody Blackbird, otherwise, you’ll keep on missing out.
I already own the Blackbird and Vector so my RAD is cured for now but doesn't mean I can't enjoy reading about 'new' SE AC style razors that are affordable and available for purchase.

Dscosmetics Legend SE (China)

There was a huge uproar when this razor was released, a blatant copy of the Alpha Claymore Evolution. Yes, there is credit in that comment, but it also looks like others, notably the Razorock Hawk and if I was designing it, I would have machined the area around the handle post to a smooth flowing curve also, just like the Claymore. It does look very much like the Claymore Evolution so in all probability that is where the design originated from but all the ranting and raving in the world is not going to stop copies of reputable razors being shipped out of China by the boatload.

Said to be available in stainless steel, copper and titanium, the stainless steel version was the only one available option when I went to buy. I’m very fond of a stainless steel razor so I was not too disappointed that the titanium version was not on offer. There is no doubt a titanium Legend will be available sometime and, in all probability, they will be a bargain. Chinese manufacturers are showing how much the wet shaving public is being ripped off by the ‘brand’ companies supplying titanium razors; the Chinese can sell their ‘said to be’ Gr 5 titanium and stainless steel products at the same price, sometimes titanium is even less expensive. Again, the Legend was released as a head only so a stainless steel Yaqi Chippendale handle was chosen to complete the build. One way of describing the Chippendale handle is that it somewhat resembles a Darwin handle. In the transition from the Darwin design handle with its traditional hexagonal cross section, Yaqi dropped two faces and made it a square cross section. Just unscrewing the handle to fit the blade felt awkward and clumsy because of the square section handle, we’ll see how it performs. To the Legend’s credit there are prominent elongated blade posts positioned on the cap that make blade loading a breeze. With the blade positioned flush against the handle post, the profile of the head is as low as it could be without trying to poke a round handle post through the narrow, elongated slit in an AC blade. Like many other Chinese made razors, a silicon washer was supplied to prevent damage to the handle and plate when the razor is assembled, being so flimsy all it done was bind everything up; out with it, and in with a nylon washer. For the first time ever with a Dscosmetic razor, there are no complaints about thread engagement, sure there is room for improvement but it’s not bad. When assembled with a blade fitted, the squared section Chippendale handle sits roughly 45 degrees to the head. The Legend/ Chippendale combination looks superb, a polished finish with a bit of style, however machine marks are abundant under the cap. Since switching to machining razors on CNC machines, there has been very few if any alignment issues reported in Dscosmetics razors, there were certainly none on this Legend.

Even though the Legend SE was severely handicapped by paring it with the Chippendale handle, it still managed to deliver wonderful shaves. There is little doubt that the Chippendale handle did nothing to improve the ergonomics of the razor and it would have felt one hell of a lot better with just about any other handle. The Chippendale handle was horrible, square sectioned handles are just not suitable for shaving. With efficiency about midway between Karve CB #C and #D levels and appropriate positive blade exposure the shave was both smooth and close. Imagine for a moment that the Legend is a clone of the Alpha Claymore Evolution, I here to say that the shave was equally as satisfying, the Legend done a fabulous job, but do yourself a favour - leave the Chippendale handles for someone else.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather Professional

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 72.8g

Head Width – 50.31mm

Handle Length – 87.95mm

Availability – Aliexpress

Final Word - Commendable
I gave the Claymore Evolution a spin when @Gargravarr graciously sent it on a round trip of P&C and I greatly preferred the Legend SE. Both were efficient shaves, but the Claymore just left my skin feeling like it had been sanded by a first-year apprentice.

I already own the Blackbird and Vector so my RAD is cured for now but doesn't mean I can't enjoy reading about 'new' SE AC style razors that are affordable and available for purchase.
Maybe you should get the new Blackland adjustable into your den then, that way I can shut up about it.

Yaqi Romulus (China)

How on earth could the Blackland Vector be immune from cloning, the Chinese have been very busy making counterfeits of just about every other reputable razor. From its narrow head profile to the cut down handle post and its Twiggie style handle, this is a true Vector clone if ever there was one. It was off to a bad start for the Romulus; as I was removing the tight plastic wrap it was packaged in, I managed to cut my finger on the installed blade. Emmm, must pay more attention next time I unwrap a new razor. I’ll get my revenge on that blade; it will be used for the first shave. Yaqi may have gone a little too far in polishing the Romulus, the lather channels and the grooves for the blade post have rounded edges. It certainly sparkles though except for faint machining marks under the cap and a recess in the top of the plate. Like the design of its doner razor, there is no excess metal to be found anywhere in this razor, and the thread engagement is smooth even with its machined down handle post. While mimicking the Vector handle profile, it has the long neck but with machined circumferential grooves for the forward grip and again towards the rear. Overall, the razor is very appealing to the eye.

Because of its long, narrow profile, I found myself gripping the handle further back than normal and that landed me in the smooth section between the two bands of machined grooves. In that position the razor had a tendency to rotate between my fingers especially with soap added to the equation. That’s it – that was all I have to complain about, not even the unknown Chinese blade could draw a negative comment. If you felt put off or threatened by the Vector because you imagined that it would be too savage for your liking, the Romulus may just be the answer to your prayers. With efficiency that’s a step down on the Vector; around Karve CB Level #C and a corresponding reduction in blade feel, the Romulus was ever so smooth to use. Shaving can be so enjoyable with a pleasant mannered razor delivering such a great shave and so little input from me. Surprisingly, the shave was just as close as if I’d concentrated hard with any other razor. Yaqi have done a creditable job with the Romulus and other than my complaint about the handle, I thoroughly enjoyed my time using the Romulus.

Blades Used – Unknown Chinese blade and Schick P-30

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 66.7g

Head Width – 50.20mm

Handle Length – 92.00mm

Handle Diameter – 10.93mm

Final Word - Sweet

Yaqi Romulus (China)

How on earth could the Blackland Vector be immune from cloning, the Chinese have been very busy making counterfeits of just about every other reputable razor. From its narrow head profile to the cut down handle post and its Twiggie style handle, this is a true Vector clone if ever there was one. It was off to a bad start for the Romulus; as I was removing the tight plastic wrap it was packaged in, I managed to cut my finger on the installed blade. Emmm, must pay more attention next time I unwrap a new razor. I’ll get my revenge on that blade; it will be used for the first shave. Yaqi may have gone a little too far in polishing the Romulus, the lather channels and the grooves for the blade post have rounded edges. It certainly sparkles though except for faint machining marks under the cap and a recess in the top of the plate. Like the design of its doner razor, there is no excess metal to be found anywhere in this razor, and the thread engagement is smooth even with its machined down handle post. While mimicking the Vector handle profile, it has the long neck but with machined circumferential grooves for the forward grip and again towards the rear. Overall, the razor is very appealing to the eye.

Because of its long, narrow profile, I found myself gripping the handle further back than normal and that landed me in the smooth section between the two bands of machined grooves. In that position the razor had a tendency to rotate between my fingers especially with soap added to the equation. That’s it – that was all I have to complain about, not even the unknown Chinese blade could draw a negative comment. If you felt put off or threatened by the Vector because you imagined that it would be too savage for your liking, the Romulus may just be the answer to your prayers. With efficiency that’s a step down on the Vector; around Karve CB Level #C and a corresponding reduction in blade feel, the Romulus was ever so smooth to use. Shaving can be so enjoyable with a pleasant mannered razor delivering such a great shave and so little input from me. Surprisingly, the shave was just as close as if I’d concentrated hard with any other razor. Yaqi have done a creditable job with the Romulus and other than my complaint about the handle, I thoroughly enjoyed my time using the Romulus.

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 66.7g

Head Width – 50.20mm

Handle Length – 92.00mm

Final Word - Sweet

Chinese have been very busy making counterfeit
giphy.gif

I actually prepared a post for this one a few days ago but wasn't sure if I should post it yet considering I had used it with a blade I hadn't ever used before and didn't take a picture before that shave.
I plan to shave with it using a blade I am more familiar with as I have a feeling the one I had used was more mild than I had anticipated.

It will probably go into the "shave of the day" thread.

Once again another great review from Errol that is direct and too the point. Stay tuned for my babbling on about this razor soon. haha

Last edited:
Yaqi Romulus (China)

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 66.7g

Head Width – 50.20mm

Handle Length – 92.00mm

Final Word - Sweet

excellent review @Errol I reckon U have convinced me to get one, soon as I'm done with my SR sortie I may well order one 👍

TOP SHOTS
If you have time and desire, you could publish "TOP SHOTS 2023". maybe not just in alphabetical order, but as you did at the beginning of this adventure, with a certain order of preference? Thank you
Great idea @giova1949, I’ve been working on the list for some time so what better time to release it than now. There are many good razors out there but only the cream rises to the top. I’ve taken my time and stepped back to have a good hard look at the best razors I’ve used before coming up with my latest list. This list may upset some but remember, this is my thoughts. If your list differs from mine, I’m not going to argue; your values are different to mine.

Double Edge Razor
  • Blutt BR1
  • Carbon Cx
  • Charcoal Goods
  • Karve Christopher Bradley
  • Smart Helix Apollo
  • Timeless Slim
  • Wolfman WR2
Single Edge Razor
  • Blackland Vector
  • Colonial General
  • Wolfman WR4
Adjustable

REX Konsul Slant Adjustable

Best Travel

Colonial General Version 1

Since you asked if there is a special razor among those I used, yes there is. My favourite razor amongst those I’ve used is the Wolfman WR2, 0.95, Titanium fitted with the WRH4 handle. This particular razor was probably a prototype that I purchased in a Wolfman auction but today you could order an exact copy of this razor from their website. And I do have a second favourite razor that may surprise: the Carbon Cx-Graphite (TI). Happy shaving

Index updated with 2023 Top Shots and highlights

as I was removing the tight plastic wrap it was packaged in, I managed to cut my finger on the installed blade.
Almost happened to me too. I ordered the matt finish Remus because I thought Yaqi might go overboard with the polishing of the Romulus. AC blades on order, waiting for them to arrive to try out the shave with decent blades (I didn't think much of the Chinese blade of unknown origin)

Interesting that Yaqi preinstalled a blade.

Now one could argue that SE Artist Club blades are a rare breed, so it makes sense.

Also, read up about the handles, from the Romulus product page on Aliexpress:

We are offering our new product in two separate versions, the “Excalibur” head for which you
can use the handle of your own (all Yaqi handles will fit perfectly), or the Full “rapier Razor
which comes with a handle perfectly matched to suit the style, shape and weight of the razor
head. The choice is yours, however whichever you choose, we will supply one brand new artist
club style Feather blade so that you can experience a great shave as soon as possible.
We are confident you will indeed experience one of the best, most smooth, most effective
shaves ever, either with the “Excalibur” head and your own choice of handle, or with the full
“Rapier” razor for which we have developed and chosen a perfectly balanced handle to match.
What the eff is the full Rapier razor. Maybe we will see it in future.​

Interesting that Yaqi preinstalled a blade.

Now one could argue that SE Artist Club blades are a rare breed, so it makes sense.

Also, read up about the handles, from the Romulus product page on Aliexpress:

We are offering our new product in two separate versions, the “Excalibur” head for which you
can use the handle of your own (all Yaqi handles will fit perfectly), or the Full “rapier Razor
which comes with a handle perfectly matched to suit the style, shape and weight of the razor
head. The choice is yours, however whichever you choose, we will supply one brand new artist
club style Feather blade so that you can experience a great shave as soon as possible.
We are confident you will indeed experience one of the best, most smooth, most effective
shaves ever, either with the “Excalibur” head and your own choice of handle, or with the full
“Rapier” razor for which we have developed and chosen a perfectly balanced handle to match.
What the eff is the full Rapier razor. Maybe we will see it in future.​
I belive the Yaqi Excalibur razor when sold as a full razor and not just a head, was listed as the Rapier or Raster, depending on the handle included.

La Faulx Stainless Steel (+) OC (France)

I was caught out buying the La Faulx when only the standard plate was available. My stainless steel La Faulx was purchased at the same time as the titanium version but with the La Faulx I was able to upgrade the efficiency with the purchase of a + plate so why not choose it with the open comb option as well. Like a kid with a new toy, I assembled the La Faulx with its open comb plate, no blade and dragged it down the side of my face. By hell, those teeth are sharp, it’s going to be interesting when the time comes to fit the blade. La Faulx does not have the sides of the handle post machined off so the blade sits under the handle post resulting in a head that is not Vector thin but is still quite acceptable. Unlike the Razorock Hawk and the Alpha Claymore the profile at the top of the head does not follow the contour around the handle, it is flat. There are no blemishes in the polished surface and to Atelier Durdan credit, even the underside of the cap is polished.

In this run of reviewing SE razors, each and every razor has appealed to me in one way or other, so I’ve enjoyed using them, but that all came to a sudden halt when I started using the OC La Faulx. Those long, sharp claws wanted to dig in; if I went shallow the razor slid over the face with no blade contact and as soon as the angle was opened up, claw marks! With the blade hiding somewhere behind those long teeth, I was never sure exactly where it was located so that added another unwanted distraction. Efficiency felt substantially above Karve CB Level #D so it was full on concentration while shaving. I’m basically a lazy bugger who just wants a simple and easy shave first thing in the morning and I never got that with the La Faulx. Smooth – forget it, those claws negated any chance of a smooth shave. The OC La Faulx got the shave done but there are many better razors available. Somehow, I feel the (+) plate with the safety bar would have performed much closer to my liking. Atelier Duran’s La Faulx OC is one razor that I cannot say I enjoyed using.

Blades Used – Kai Captain Titan Mild and Feather ProGuard

Material –
Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 104.1g

Head Width – 51mm

Handle Length – 89.82mm

Handle Diameter – 12.54mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – Horrible

La Faulx Stainless Steel (+) OC (France)

I was caught out buying the La Faulx when only the standard plate was available. My stainless steel La Faulx was purchased at the same time as the titanium version but with the La Faulx I was able to upgrade the efficiency with the purchase of a + plate so why not choose it with the open comb option as well. Like a kid with a new toy, I assembled the La Faulx with its open comb plate, no blade and dragged it down the side of my face. By hell, those teeth are sharp, it’s going to be interesting when the time comes to fit the blade. La Faulx does not have the sides of the handle post machined off so the blade sits under the handle post resulting in a head that is not Vector thin but is still quite acceptable. Unlike the Razorock Hawk and the Alpha Claymore the profile at the top of the head does not follow the contour around the handle, it is flat. There are no blemishes in the polished surface and to Atelier Durdan credit, even the underside of the cap is polished.

In this run of reviewing SE razors, each and every razor has appealed to me in one way or other, so I’ve enjoyed using them, but that all came to a sudden halt when I started using the OC La Faulx. Those long, sharp claws wanted to dig in; if I went shallow the razor slid over the face with no blade contact and as soon as the angle was opened up, claw marks! With the blade hiding somewhere behind those long teeth, I was never sure exactly where it was located so that added another unwanted distraction. Efficiency felt substantially above Karve CB Level #D so it was full on concentration while shaving. I’m basically a lazy bugger who just wants a simple and easy shave first thing in the morning and I never got that with the La Faulx. Smooth – forget it, those claws negated any chance of a smooth shave. The OC La Faulx got the shave done but there are many better razors available. Somehow, I feel the (+) plate with the safety bar would have performed much closer to my liking. Atelier Duran’s La Faulx OC is one razor that I cannot say I enjoyed using.

Blades Used – Kai Captain Titan Mild and Feather ProGuard

Material –
Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 104.1g

Head Width – 51mm

Handle Length – 89.82mm

Handle Diameter – 12.54mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – Horrible
Oof. 😐 At €230 for the most basic finish, that was an expensive mistake. :(