What do you have in the post right now?

Hi @Ebonysw45 the owner is honing it for "free" on JNats for me, but I'll look for cheap NOS or a 2nd hand Kami as I'd like to have a go honing myself, unfortunately so so so many "different" ideas as to what to use (natural, synthetic, Belgian etc etc) that I'll probably be more confused than bewildered!! :)

Hi @Ebonysw45 the owner is honing it for "free" on JNats for me, but I'll look for cheap NOS or a 2nd hand Kami as I'd like to have a go honing myself, unfortunately so so so many "different" ideas as to what to use (natural, synthetic, Belgian etc etc) that I'll probably be more confused than bewildered!! :)
Thats great. You should be able to maintain the edge pretty easily then. Any of the finishers will do but you might need to flatten the hone first. Initially you should even be able to maintain it for a while on something as simple as a pasted strop. This would probably do. paddle strop
BCLS1P1.jpg

For touch ups on my kamisori and to strop I use a boker strop as it is just the right width and comes pasted.

51889387405_8b01a0d28f_c.jpg
51887767812_01e95a2dbe_c.jpg

oumo-g5-synthetic-shaving-brush-cove-251678.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-02-19-at-11-07-40-am.png

Who could resist a good discount. Oumo G5 from thewetshavingco and a selection of soaps I haven't tried/heard of before from Top of the Chain's sale section. I could not find any scent note on the Oleo Soapworks Livin Live in 5 but I took a punt since it's a duck fat base and curiosity got the best of me.

Hey @JVS - you are not the only one with tracking occurring in the future -

uj9Vv8Zl.png

Reactions: JVS
Now that I've decided the Blackland Sabre is a keeper, I've finally committed to an order of 200 GEM blades from Connaught Shaving. I had previously obtained a pack of just 10 while I was testing the water. I'm not going overboard and ordering thousands (1) because they're showing every sign of being long-lasting and (2) because I have at least 12 years' worth of AC blades already, and I'm certain I have a finite life expectancy.

Good news is the GEM blades are a damn sight cheaper than any of the decent quality AC blades. ($42 for 200.)

Now that I've decided the Blackland Sabre is a keeper, I've finally committed to an order of 200 GEM blades from Connaught Shaving. I had previously obtained a pack of just 10 while I was testing the water. I'm not going overboard and ordering thousands (1) because they're showing every sign of being long-lasting and (2) because I have at least 12 years' worth of AC blades already, and I'm certain I have a finite life expectancy.

Good news is the GEM blades are a damn sight cheaper than any of the decent quality AC blades. ($42 for 200.)

Can I ask what brand. I can only ever find Personna.

Arko and Pré de Provence arrived today…along with 3 belated copies of The New Yorker Magazine.

I also had a message from Tibam to let me know that the titanium handle and stand I ordered in mid Feb had been returned. Not a big deal.

God crikey :wideyed: @JVS is becoming an Arko PISS member of the crazy smelly urinal cake brotherhood.

Has the Australian gone MAD!!!! for Arko?

Can I ask what brand. I can only ever find Personna.
Personna is what I ordered. I don't really know much about what other brands there are, though I've read that Blue Star is OK, and Green Star is not. If anyone else here knows any better, I'll be glad to hear about it.

Apparently there are a lot of paint scrapers out there, so I went with a "known-good" blade from a reputable shop.

Last edited:
Personna is what I ordered. I don't really know much about what other brands there are, though I've read that Blue Star is OK, and Green Star is not. If anyone else here knows any better, I'll be glad to hear about it.

Apparently there are a lot of paint scrapers out there, so I went with a "known-good" blade from a reputable shop.
Stick with Personna Gem Stainless Steel, it’s the best SE blade by far on the market and stay away from Carbon Steel Gem blade as they rusted pretty quick.

Gem-Blades-003_1024x1024.jpg

God crikey :wideyed: @JVS is becoming an Arko PISS member of the crazy smelly urinal cake brotherhood.

Has the Australian gone MAD!!!! for Arko?

I used it experimentally for the first time ever this morning. It’s truly VILE :vomit::vomit::vomit:.

It smelled so bad that I rushed my shave, and nicked my Adam’s apple (Karve D plate nick).

You’ll be reassured to know that I’ve extradited the noxious puck to our tool shed. Cremation beckons.

ps: hey…I’m not Australian :p:p:p:p

"How's your legs? From jumping onto the bandwagon?" :LOL:
Screen-Shot-2022-03-23-at-2-30-11-pm.jpg
Congrats on the score as super tempted jumping on a spare myself once I received notification they were back in stock.

That an fears of the price blowing out due to supply of metals and shipping but must honour my self imposed Sabbatical... :sorry:

Congrats on the score as super tempted jumping on a spare myself once I received notification they were back in stock.

That an fears of the price blowing out due to supply of metals and shipping but must honour my self imposed Sabbatical... :sorry:
Fair enough. (y) Your Vector will last forever anyway, with care. I've stopped worrying quite so much about breaking mine since getting my Sabre. The latter is not a Vector-killer by any means, but it's quality work, and the variety is nice.

Lately I've been more or less playing with the Claymore Evo or the Sabre on weekdays, saving the Vector for weekends. Nice to have something to look forward to...