A place for straight men

Now nicked what's your hone, paste, strope routine?

I know Ybbor, you want to know the secret behind how my razor can cut my chin so fine and deeply! Wonder no more..

Actually get Oz to hone my straight now and again (but want to get a barbers hone)

Otherwise just a pasted tobs strop. Chromium oxide 0.3 on the webbing side.

40 strokes on the cotton, 60 on the cow and I'm good to go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416562238.205354.jpg

I like the consistency of the edge with a straight. It's more or less the same and gradually fades over months.

What do you do Ybbor?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416563886.598498.jpg

Very similar. I might do 10 on the crox and then 50 on the leather. Dovo strop.

I hone my own. Have been playing with 8k up to 30k. My two cheapest gave me the best shaves which is crazy.

Oh I don't crox every time maybe just once a week. Do you crox each use?

As in apply more crox or use it? I strop on it every use, but only apply more green to it hmm .. Couple of months maybe

Honing is a whole new paddock I haven't ventured in to. I saw on srp a guy keep a razor on just a pasted strop for weeks (glennsixgun or something) so I reckon with a barbers hone once a week touch up it wouldn't need to see the stones again in a very long time. I think they are usually somewhere in the 6-8k range. Swaty seems very common

Ok so Ybbor and I politely got told to stop cluttering up SOTD thread, which occasionally features shave related topics.

Ybbor what straights do you have? If I got a second one I think I would purchase from an ebay seller in Victoria who restores vintage straights. He's got great stock.

Wow that was quick well done.
Ok straights were my thing, no DE got close until I used 38c and got lazy/hurried DE/M3 shaving habits ;)

So got a few razors actually..
3x dovo 5/8
3x TI 6/8
1x TI 7/8

Also grabbed a few gold dollars for hone practice as well as grinding and re-scaling.

I hone mine with shapton stones, now at men's biz. I have a full progression, but your right about barbers hones if you get one you won't need the full progression unless your re setting the bevel.

I hone mine with shapton stones, now at men's biz. I have a full progression, but your right about barbers hones if you get one you won't need the full progression unless your re setting the bevel.

Where do you get a Barbers hone from? I asked a recently retired barber if he had a stone and he said he sold it long ago. [emoji26] It made me sad.

Or what progression of Shaptons do you recommend?

That's awesome! I've been forced to look at DEs for weeks! (I'll ignore the m3 comment ;)

Arnt you going to work in Tajikistan or some place? What's going to happen to this collection? [emoji57]

How do the dovo - TI go head to head? Got a favorite?

Filobiblic - barbers hones are pretty readily available on US ebay, in varying condition ( many have chips off a corner/edge because they are mostly ceramic) because they are ceramic it's hard to put a grit rating to them. They are nearly extinct here. They were made often reasonably small (some are pocket sized) for a barber to touch up his razor throughout the day, a few strokes here and there.

eBay, or the invisible edge, but you don't really need that. Just a high girt stone will do it. I basically use my 16k and 30k as barber hones. I only used the rougher hones for bevel setting. I have had some really bad grinds from both dovo and TI. Had to take them right back to get them straight.

Or what progression of Shaptons do you recommend?

That depends on what your doing. I got carried away when I got mine.

? Forgotten which

From memory. Don't do that!!!

If your buying new razor:

That's it. Lower than 1000 is great for old razors that need to be put straight ;)

30000 is supposed to be amazing, I do use it but it might be to sharp for me.

Adding the in betweens means you can go up the progression more easily. Which means a quicker hone job. But with patients you can do the same thing in bigger jumps.

Barbers hone, sure, or just get an 8, the old barbers hones are about that. You can then smooth out the blade with a pasted strop.

As DE razors vary, so do the feel of the straights, the different metal, and the offering preparation and grind etc. The best thing is you can learn to hone/strop it such that it's an amazing smooth shave for your face and you can learn to keep it exactly how you like it :)

They also cut the hair differently. I feel less prickly after using the straight. The hair feels smoother I guess.

My attraction to the barbers hone is that I travel and don't have a place for a huge collection of stones, so if one small one did the trick if be stoked

Ybbor you must have quite the bench top collection!!

Totally understand. Have been looking myself. Have a look at the web site invisible edge. And there are ones on eBay to. Yes swatty is what I read as well.

With all this talk of DEs I would suggest the pair of you are more bi than straight and should get a room of your own.

Oh... As you were.

My attraction to the barbers hone is that I travel and don't have a place for a huge collection of stones, so if one small one did the trick if be stoked

Ybbor you must have quite the bench top collection!!

Another idea. A naiwa cut in half and chamfered. Can't with sharptons as they are glass backed. But I have read that naiwa can be cut in half.

That depends on what your doing. I got carried away when I got mine.

? Forgotten which

From memory. Don't do that!!!

If your buying new razor:

That's it. Lower than 1000 is great for old razors that need to be put straight ;)

30000 is supposed to be amazing, I do use it but it might be to sharp for me.

Adding the in betweens means you can go up the progression more easily. Which means a quicker hone job. But with patients you can do the same thing in bigger jumps.
What about the Naniwa Super stones? (Note the NEW updated version as well.)
I hear that the Japanese water stones (Naniwa, Suehiro) are quite popular.

NowNicked. You may as well start a few threads- honing/stones, Stropping, styptic...[emoji13]

What about the Naniwa Super stones? (Note the NEW updated version as well.)
I hear that the Japanese water stones (Naniwa, Suehiro) are quite popular.

Yes have read naiwa are great! But haven't used. Read sharptons were better. But if they can be cut then they could be perfect barber stones :)

Oh and that article is really good!!!! But 220 is to low a grit for your need most likely.

I like the sharptons because of the Dimond lapping plate.