A place for straight men

my grandfathers vintage strop.
Been using it to sharpen my work multiknife.

This arrangement might be best left that way

Your strop and stropping will directly affect your shave. It's not hard, but I doubt the old strop would work very well.

Check out the poor mans strop kit from whipped dog. I used that without hassle for 6 months it does the job, or there are endless options on our local stores. I'm currently using a dovo strop which is pretty good.

Hi borked! Have a think about a leather conditioner for the strop and you defiantly want to with no kinks for the straight.
Do you need a leather conditioner? I thought that the oil from your hands was enough. Just run with you palms regularly and you're all good.

Yes I use oil from my hands!! But it depends on the condition of the strop. Post some photos!! Another idea is if you have access to a shave shop go look at some strops and feel the leather, see how it compares. We might be hasty warning you off using that strop.

Finally got motivated enough to clean this lot and start restoring
(This is the before shot) a nice Thiers Issard #14 among them

diMmK7t.jpg

Re-scaled Fili 13 in a decent set of scales
(despite the tapered blade this is one of my favourites and now has a decent set of scales to match)

eS2IjTL.jpg

... sanded and loaded this old leather (0.25) and balsa (0.5) strop with diamond paste for touchups between shaves

yUsIlZq.jpg