A Quicker Way To Break In A Boar Brush by mantic59

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day ;)

Mate of mine has broken-in two Omega brushes a 10098 & 20102 in four days using this method below four times in four days, the boar has completely broken-in all the top tips of the boar hairs has completely split-en and so soft ready for face lathering. So you shouldn't have to wait for many months to allow your boar brush full broken-in, is all depends on the type of boar knot some can broken-in in two days some and take up to 4 days max.

Try this method below and you won't be disappointed and your boar brush will be so soft in a very short period of time (y):happy:

Last edited:
Just picked up a Semogue 620 boar last week it's been used a few times but I think I might try this out. Thanks @SpeedyPC
@Sticky keep me posted how yours turn out you may need to do this for 2 or 3 days for a Semogue 620 boar because the boar hair is not thicker compare to Omega boar hair ;)

Never had a problem with my Omega boars (x4). A good wash in shampoo and body wash and an overnight soak and they were good to go. The smell was gone within a week and the performance has always been excellent. I'm yet to find a brush that beats my 48...

Never had a problem with my Omega boars (x4). A good wash in shampoo and body wash and an overnight soak and they were good to go. The smell was gone within a week and the performance has always been excellent. I'm yet to find a brush that beats my 48...

This. The idea of breaking in a boar only came about after the advent of shaving sites. The idea it takes months is a myth I've never fathomed. They simply need to be used daily for a while, and in shave site land, that doesn't happen much...

Not only that, tip splitting is not a benchmark of a brush being 'broken in' - it just shows it's been rubbed on something - skin, towels etc. It's the ability of the brush to make and hold enough lather for 2-3 passes. IME of boars, this ability has little to do with time, some brushes are good, some are plain bad. Semogues were a royal pain, and I bought enough of them to find out. I sold or binned mine. Omegas worked out of the box every single time. Never even gave break in a second thought.

Techniques help. Boars need more loading than other brushes. All the sitting in the fridge in water overnight won't make it do that.

This. The idea of breaking in a boar only came about after the advent of shaving sites. The idea it takes months is a myth I've never fathomed. They simply need to be used daily for a while, and in shave site land, that doesn't happen much...

Completely agree. I've never had to "break in" a brush. Its geek nonsense trying to appear more knowledgeable than the newbies. Just use the !@#$ing thing.

I disagree about the Semogues. I've only used one, a cheapo 1250, but all I did was wash it out in hot, soapy water and it makes lather like a champ. Even in hard Adelaide water.

Ha ha, well now I don't know what to do; leave it in the fridge, chuck it in the bin or just keep using it as normal

I don't claim to be any kind of brush expert but, for the price, I was very happy with my 620. Great size, for me, and was making some good lather, I was happy to let it evolve and soften with use but then saw this.

I think it will be an interesting to continue the experiment and to give it a couple of days of treatment, nothing to loose really.

It is always interesting to hear differing opinions from experienced guys, that's what I like about this forum. I'll let you know how it goes.

The 620 is broken in. I gave it 4 days and the tips have softened and split, it is giving a great face lather now
Thanks @SpeedyPC

The 620 is broken in. I gave it 4 days and the tips have softened and split, it is giving a great face lather now
Thanks @SpeedyPC
@Sticky can you please post a picture so I can see how much the split has broken-in after 4 days using this method with a Semogue, I've already seen a two Omega boar broken-in when a mate of mine used this method to see how much the tips has been split.

Nearly forgot, here it is @SpeedyPC

21587063_1680659781946453_7678644844565217376_o.jpg

It's proven the tips split if you soak a brush continuously. Tips spitting aren't a measure of break in. I've had semogues who's tips split after a few shaves and they were still shit. A broken in brush lathers consistently and is soft. The same result would have occurred if the brush is used for a week or so, because break is a shaving site myth. Some boars are good, some are crap.

Last edited:
I have a Semogue LE 2011 boar and it took maybe a week of use to break in, now it's soft and bushy; in fact it's a veritable mop.
I didn't have to employ any special techniques either. Not that I knew of any but just using it worked for me. No tips split either.

It's proven the tips split if you soak a brush continuously. Tips spitting aren't a measure of break in. I've had semogues who's tips split after a few shaves and they were still shit. A broken in brush lathers consistently and is soft. The same result would have occurred if the brush is used for a week or so, because break is a shaving site myth. Some boars are good, some are crap.
@Drubbing
W6upFux.gif

I've had a 620. And and 830 (among half a dozen others). Both of them had split tips with normal use, in 1 week. Both were still shit and turned into floppy noodles and ended up as handle fodder. That's not opinion El Duderino, that's experience. A lot of Semogues suck, and I'm not the only one who experienced that.

The point being, faffing around with boars does next to nothing. It's a nerdic ritual of self fulfilling prophecy. A good boar works out of the box. I've bought a shitload of them too. They really tie the bathroom together.

Well, that being said, I'm happy with it and it is definitely softer. The Semogue abides.

And that said anyone unhappy with their brushes are free to send them to me for.. uh.. examination and testing.

And general ownership