Adelaide shaver checking in

khun_diddy

diddy_arko!
State Rep - SA
Gentlemen,
Guys,

Yesterday I had a coffee with three fellow shavers including alfredus. He mentioned Paste & Cut - I'd never heard of it before - and it sounded interesting so I took a look and liked what I saw. I reckon I'll learn a lot here.

As far as shaving goes, I believe I'm fairly minimalist. I'm gradually refining my set up. My current ideal shave is:

Gillette New LC
Voskhod (these have very recently replaced Treet DS Carbon and SuperMax Stainless as my favourite - cheers alfredus!)
Cella or Fauldings Shave
Mühle Super or Omega 10065
Cella Classica or Pinaud VIBR or Proraso Green or Floid (depending on my mood)

I sincerely feel the Gillette New is the razor for me. I've tried 20-30 razors but nothing comes close in terms of comfort, ease of use and final results. They're also built like a tank and look gorgeous. I'm slowly building a collection of heads. I've yet to try a stainless and although I want to for the experience, I can't see how a stainless razor could possibly trump a New. Having said that, I will get a UFO handle one of these days.

Same goes with blades - although I've tried many, my favourites I can count on one hand. I look forward to making a mass purchase of Voskhods in the near future.

I could shave with Cella or Fauldings exclusively for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied. Most here will know of, and love, Cella but few, I suspect, will rate Fauldings as a serious cream. If you haven't tried it yet then I implore you to do so. It is legit in terms of slickness, cushion, scent, ingredient list and price.

Brushes are the area where admittedly I have very little experience. I have a good badger, a crappy boar (that I love) and a synthetic travel brush. My next brush purchase with be another synthetic I think. The Plisson interests me a great deal but I really know very little about this topic.

Aftershaves are my weakness. Some clinicians would say I have ASAD. In the next few weeks I'll be placing a very large order for Myrsol & Floid from Gifts & Care. I can't wait.

Anyway, that's about it. I look forward to spending some quality time on here and getting to know you all!

Hi KD! Welcome to P&C. It's great to have another Adelaidian join up. There's quite a few already. [emoji106]

I too love Myrsol and Floid. Quality European AS. You'd enjoy Aqua Velva - a classic barbershop with a dose of menthol. Cheap enough via eBay. Have you tried it before?

What other aftershaves have you got that you recommend?

I'm a huge fan of the NEW as well. I've only just chanced upon them a few months ago but they take prime place amongst the Weber (stainless) and others. If you're keen to try a stainless razor, you ought to try to twist the arm of @alfredus - he loves them. [emoji4]

Gentlemen,
Guys,

None of us use the G-word here. No fakeness here, we call it as we see it.

Yesterday I had a coffee with three fellow shavers including alfredus. He mentioned Paste & Cut - I'd never heard of it before - and it sounded interesting so I took a look and liked what I saw. I reckon I'll learn a lot here.

And you will meet some enablers for sure. Good to see @alfredus flying the P&C flag.

I sincerely feel the Gillette New is the razor for me.
Yes I have one of the Common-bar NEWs which doesn't see much action these days - I have a Pureman OC Prototype (Parker OC head on a custom stainless handle) which seems to be better balanced for me. The new is a good razor although a bit picky about blades in my experience.

Same goes with blades - although I've tried many, my favourites I can count on one hand. I look forward to making a mass purchase of Voskhods in the near future.

Oh, I will make you change you tune on this. Your words are like a red rag to a bull.

I could shave with Cella or Fauldings exclusively for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied.
Alfredus will fix you up with some cheap Barrister & Mann in our group buy - its being delivered to him so even cheaper for you with no postage.

Brushes are the area where admittedly I have very little experience. I have a good badger, a crappy boar (that I love) and a synthetic travel brush. My next brush purchase with be another synthetic I think. The Plisson interests me a great deal but I really know very little about this topic.
If you can pick one up a Plisson in the $30-$40 range then do it. Amazing value.

Aftershaves are my weakness. Some clinicians would say I have ASAD. In the next few weeks I'll be placing a very large order for Myrsol & Floid from Gifts & Care. I can't wait.

Good vendor, and plenty of Myrsol fans here too. There is also a few guys playing with the cheap Czech-produced Alpa range.

Anyway, that's about it. I look forward to spending some quality time on here and getting to know you all!

Welcome, enjoy your stay.

Welcome aboard. I look forward to quoting this first post when you accumulate gear enough that you need to build an extension to the dog house that your wife has relegated you to...no drama as long as theres running water and a wi-fi connection then we got you covered mate

Cheers filobiblic

I've yet to try the Myrsol - can't wait. I think I'll go Antesol, Metilsol, F/Extra, Balsamic, Lemon and C. I'll also be getting a 400 mL Aqua Velva when I make my order.

Exciting times I tell thee!

Cheers filobiblic

I've yet to try the Myrsol - can't wait. I think I'll go Antesol, Metilsol, F/Extra, Balsamic, Lemon and C. I'll also be getting a 400 mL Aqua Velva when I make my order.

Ahhhh the doghouse will at least smell grand - Balsamic and Antesol are my personal faves for scent and medicinal value....though Speick is not bad at the repair too.

None of us use the G-word here. No fakeness here, we call it as we see it.

Interesting. How does 'chaps' go down? Acceptable? This is language I use in daily life believe it or not.

Speaking of the Plisson, what's the consensus on the acetate vs resin? There's a 20 euro difference between the two. Justified or not?

Ahhhh the doghouse will at least smell grand - Balsamic and Antesol are my personal faves for scent and medicinal value....though Speick is not bad at the repair too.

Arko would be the most fitting soap to use in a dog house. Though you'd have to be careful you didn't mark too much territory with it.

Welcome anyway KD, I used Fauldings for a while, great cream. Also like Voskhods in my R41.

Really do spend some money on the B&M buy though, the soaps are excellent, and might… might… just.. edge Fauldings over into the 'old flame' department.

Interesting. How does 'chaps' go down? Acceptable? This is language I use in daily life believe it or not.

We are Aussies, so anything you would call your mates at the pub is acceptable. Fellas, mates, blokes etc.

The issue we have with the G-word is that those 'YKW' (aka You Know Where) use the term yet are falling over themselves to buy up everything with any rumour of it being discontinued and sell it off at a huge profit.

I think the bigger problem is that there are no gentlemen here. Just a heap of good blokes who love chatting about all things shaving and probably moreso non-shaving related.

Speaking of the Plisson, what's the consensus on the acetate vs resin? There's a 20 euro difference between the two. Justified or not?

We are generally talking about the l'Occitane brush, which has been down to the $30 mark locally over Christmas. Generally no issues but I have seen one handle which the varnish has had issues with.

The performance of the brush I absolutely love. It's not worth the normal $100 asking price, but on special it is great value.

I've got all but the lemon.

Antesol and Agua Balsamica are standouts.
Metisol is a "medicinal" scent with lovely face feel.
F./Extra is a classic barbershop that's similar to Floid (perhaps less sweet).
Formula C is violets. Very distinct and floral. I initially didn't like it as much, but now it's grown on me a lot. Violets is a very classic men's fragrance.

I think with Myrsol you can't go wrong. If you're going in, then it's worth going in hard for postage reasons.

Aqua Velva man. Good stuff. [emoji106] I think we could be mates...

Arko would be the most fitting soap to use in a dog house. Though you'd have to be careful you didn't mark too much territory with it.
Please note the Albatross I wear across my neck - a.k.a. the blurb imposed upon me by the Ever-Great and All-Knowing One (@Monsta_AU ). I am Public Enemy #1 when it comes to that wretched Turkish urinal facial cake. Ewwwww arko, I'd prefer to shave with whatever else the supermarket has...

I think the bigger problem is that there are no gentlemen here. Just a heap of good blokes [...]
Well except for me...and one other member. We probably don't qualify as 'good blokes' but do fit perfectly the Collins Illustrated Dictionary definition of g-men.

I don't think any of us (that I know) have forked over the extra buying direct from Plisson in France. We're all either bought from L'Occitane in the US or here (they were on sale over Summer). The standard wooden handled synthetic.

Watch TSE-The Shaving Evangelist (aka Christopher Bailey) speak about his Plisson love affair and he'll tell you he prefers the solid handle over the wooden one. But he then says they're all brilliant- just get one! [emoji6]

I've got all but the lemon.

Antesol and Agua Balsamica are standouts.
Metisol is a "medicinal" scent with lovely face feel.
F./Extra is a classic barbershop that's similar to Floid (perhaps less sweet).
Formula C is violets. Very distinct and floral. I initially didn't like it as much, but now it's grown on me a lot. Violets is a very classic men's fragrance.

I think with Myrsol you can't go wrong. If you're going in, then it's worth going in hard for postage reasons.

Aqua Velva man. Good stuff. [emoji106] I think we could be mates...

Superb info!

Cheers filobiblic

Gifts & Care is a top store and one that supports P&C. So don't forget to use "P&C" in the vouchers for a 10% discount (postage not included). [emoji6]

Welcome, hope you find value here and are around for the long term.
How long have you been using traditional methods of shaving for ?

I'll tell you what you'll learn here; how to spend cash. These bastards are known for it.
As long as it's yours, no one minds :)

Oh, I will make you change you tune on this. Your words are like a red rag to a bull.
I feel for the poor fella, he knoweth now what he has started.

Yeah pull your finger out @filobiblic . Long detailed reviews with lots of photos....that's what we wan.... need!
Speak for yourself as to photos of @filobiblic post shave mate.
If you're really that lonely down south, head in west and pay your green pants brother a visit :)