Any NFL fans out there?

I think I understood most of what he said ....

Been following for years. First team was the Browns, then they folded for a while and become the Ravens and then Browns come back. Follow those two teams. Have also liked the 49ers since Joe was QB and Jerry Rice was WR. So I guess I follow 3 sides (2 in the one division). Looking forward to seeing who Hayne goes.

The best way to watch is be recording and fast forward through all the breaks. I remember years ago ABC used to show a game here that was edited to only include the actual play. Makes a 3-3.5 hour game down to an 1 hour.

Been following for years. First team was the Browns, then they folded for a while and become the Ravens and then Browns come back. Follow those two teams. Have also liked the 49ers since Joe was QB and Jerry Rice was WR. So I guess I follow 3 sides (2 in the one division).

Cleveland....? :whistle: Damn now thats a hell of a burden to carry around being fans of thatgodforsaken franchise. I don't know if you're familiar with the writing of Bill Simmons? Anyway he's incredibly talented and here's a funny lil article on what I'm sure you've endured as a Cleveland fan. Prometheus-esque!

Sorry to say I think you're up for another season of sucking. Tough division shows no signs of letting up, PIT having rebuilt very well (atleast on the OFF side of the ball), BAL are BAL (get to that later) and CIN atleast for you have Andy Dalton at QB so guaranteed to do ok but choke at multiple critical moments (this would be a very good team with a competent QB at the helm).

CLE's QB position is still an absolute dumpster fire - and as such very little else will matter. The Manziel experiment is just the latest case of why drafting a bad QB genuinely sets your franchise back 2-3yrs (as you've got to give him time to play, suck, then rinse and repeat again BEFORE finally conceding defeat). I read an interesting book about the modern QB and what makes them - and there was a lot of stuff about Mariota, Winston and also Manziel....well the latter had a really long history of cutting corners & flying by the seat of his pants - suffice to say Brett Farve he ain't and I expect he won't be able to turn things around.

IMHO best case scenario for him is becoming a Russell Wilson type clone - BUT Manziel is unable to process his progressions or properly read defences whilst in college he could do that or hoick it to Mike Evans - that doesn't work in the pros.

BAL are great, Ozzie Smith is IMHO perhaps the best GM in football. Not a team you want to face in the playoffs - as a NE supporter I can testify to that. I've all the respect in the world for them. Great OL and front defensive 7.

The 'Niners implosion over the last season or so is really remarkable. They somehow went from the new pinup team of the league (in terms of how to draft smart & build your roster) with multiple all-pros on either side of the ball and a QB full of promise thus looking like a possible dynasty type team - to suddenly being an absolute mess! Helluva lot of bad luck BUT the combo of Harbaugh's approach wearing out it's welcome & their subsequent mishandling of him will see them rebuilding all over again.

Cleveland....? :whistle: Damn now thats a hell of a burden to carry around being fans of thatgodforsaken franchise. I don't know if you're familiar with the writing of Bill Simmons? Anyway he's incredibly talented and here's a funny lil article on what I'm sure you've endured as a Cleveland fan. Prometheus-esque!

Sorry to say I think you're up for another season of sucking. Tough division shows no signs of letting up, PIT having rebuilt very well (atleast on the OFF side of the ball), BAL are BAL (get to that later) and CIN atleast for you have Andy Dalton at QB so guaranteed to do ok but choke at multiple critical moments (this would be a very good team with a competent QB at the helm).

CLE's QB position is still an absolute dumpster fire - and as such very little else will matter. The Manziel experiment is just the latest case of why drafting a bad QB genuinely sets your franchise back 2-3yrs (as you've got to give him time to play, suck, then rinse and repeat again BEFORE finally conceding defeat). I read an interesting book about the modern QB and what makes them - and there was a lot of stuff about Mariota, Winston and also Manziel....well the latter had a really long history of cutting corners & flying by the seat of his pants - suffice to say Brett Farve he ain't and I expect he won't be able to turn things around.

IMHO best case scenario for him is becoming a Russell Wilson type clone - BUT Manziel is unable to process his progressions or properly read defences whilst in college he could do that or hoick it to Mike Evans - that doesn't work in the pros.

BAL are great, Ozzie Smith is IMHO perhaps the best GM in football. Not a team you want to face in the playoffs - as a NE supporter I can testify to that. I've all the respect in the world for them. Great OL and front defensive 7.

The 'Niners implosion over the last season or so is really remarkable. They somehow went from the new pinup team of the league (in terms of how to draft smart & build your roster) with multiple all-pros on either side of the ball and a QB full of promise thus looking like a possible dynasty type team - to suddenly being an absolute mess! Helluva lot of bad luck BUT the combo of Harbaugh's approach wearing out it's welcome & their subsequent mishandling of him will see them rebuilding all over again.

It is a fun division to watch. Pit are always tough especially at home. Bengals are getting better.

Browns are a basket case, don't think they have had a good QB since they come back into the NFL. Manziel was overrated at college and I never thought would make a great NFL QB. I wont talk about college football as my side Texas are going through a massive re-build and look years away from being any good.

Baltimore is becoming a great NFL franchise (probably need to win 1 more superbowl in the next few years). They are well managed and well coached. Having a great front office makes the world of difference. I actually think Joe Flacco is a great QB (he is tough, makes good decisions and has a good arm), probably doesn't get enough accolades from other fans but in a playoff game I am always happy to see him in the line up. Think he has a great playoff record. I am not saying he is the best QB in the NFL put some experts rate him between 10-15 in the league, he is a top 5 QB in my opinion.

Yup, and that CLE has managed to suck so consistently is really self-inflicted. One of the things I dislike about the draft concept is that the teams that do poorly are essentially rewarded for this by being given the best players (or atleast the right to pick what they believe are the best players FIRST!). If a team makes crap decisions at coaching/GM level etc and ends up with a bad record I don't see it being logical to give them an advantage over other teams who didn't make such mistakes. But anyway thats the system in place and to be fair the NFL draft is more than any other draft an absolute crapshoot i.e MORE picks, NOT higher picks is the best guarantee of success.

Afraid to say we'll have to disagree on Flacco. Top 5? IMHO Rodgers, Romo, Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Rivers, Luck, Manning, Brees and Stafford are all superior IMHO. So yeah I think you nailed it with the 10-15 marker.

Flacco is very inconsistent, he's a bit like Eli Manning in that he's going to have a few patches or games during any given season where he just singlehandedly loses the game for his team by stinking (generally multiple picks tossed) BUT and this but applies to both of them. If they get in a purple patch of form they are almost unbeatable - and they'll both tend to have atleast one of these per season and they also have a knack for doing it at the BIGGEST moments. When Flacco is on he's tough. He does throw a great deep ball though I think he's going to really miss Torrey Smith's loss as their roster has no-one who can take the top off a defence. He's does also have the advantage of playing behind the consensus #2 OL in the league.

The MVP for BAL is Ozzie Smith - look at the players BAL has lost every other year and they have guys on their roster ALWAYS step up and fill the holes. The guy is a master of the compensatory pick system....very smart GM and I can't recall the last FA signing they stuffed up on.

BAL are a consistantly good franchise but a great franchise? To me thats very premature for a club thats only 19yrs old. The 2 SB wins in that span is very good and they're consistant winners but to me great is your GB, DAL, SF types that have half dozen plus SBs. NE is right there as they've been hands down the best team in the league over the past 20yrs.....but BAL is on the right path.

Yup, and that CLE has managed to suck so consistently is really self-inflicted. One of the things I dislike about the draft concept is that the teams that do poorly are essentially rewarded for this by being given the best players (or atleast the right to pick what they believe are the best players FIRST!). If a team makes crap decisions at coaching/GM level etc and ends up with a bad record I don't see it being logical to give them an advantage over other teams who didn't make such mistakes. But anyway thats the system in place and to be fair the NFL draft is more than any other draft an absolute crapshoot i.e MORE picks, NOT higher picks is the best guarantee of success.

Afraid to say we'll have to disagree on Flacco. Top 5? IMHO Rodgers, Romo, Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Rivers, Luck, Manning, Brees and Stafford are all superior IMHO. So yeah I think you nailed it with the 10-15 marker.

Flacco is very inconsistent, he's a bit like Eli Manning in that he's going to have a few patches or games during any given season where he just singlehandedly loses the game for his team by stinking (generally multiple picks tossed) BUT and this but applies to both of them. If they get in a purple patch of form they are almost unbeatable - and they'll both tend to have atleast one of these per season and they also have a knack for doing it at the BIGGEST moments. When Flacco is on he's tough. He does throw a great deep ball though I think he's going to really miss Torrey Smith's loss as their roster has no-one who can take the top off a defence. He's does also have the advantage of playing behind the consensus #2 OL in the league.

The MVP for BAL is Ozzie Smith - look at the players BAL has lost every other year and they have guys on their roster ALWAYS step up and fill the holes. The guy is a master of the compensatory pick system....very smart GM and I can't recall the last FA signing they stuffed up on.

BAL are a consistantly good franchise but a great franchise? To me thats very premature for a club thats only 19yrs old. The 2 SB wins in that span is very good and they're consistant winners but to me great is your GB, DAL, SF types that have half dozen plus SBs. NE is right there as they've been hands down the best team in the league over the past 20yrs.....but BAL is on the right path.

Maybe Baltimore isn't great but they could be one day :) As for Joe Flacco, in a playoff game I would take him ahead of a lot of the guys you mentioned (especially in front of guys like Romo and a couple of the others who might fold in the big games). It does help to have a great OL. I think he is paid as a top 5-10 QB because he negotiated a new contract after he won the SuperBowl.

I have been a fan for as long as I can remember but I don't follow a team as such, like I do with AFL.

My soft spots lie with New England (my son's team so I tend to watch a lot of their games), Green Bay (remember Brett Farve), San Fransisco, Cleveland, and Seattle. Players that I admire usually dictate the bandwagon that I'm on. Currently it's Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, and Amendola so it's NE all the way but totally amazed by Clay Matthews so love watching the Packers too. Going to an NFL game, in the States, is on my bucket list.

It would be fantastic if Hayne gets a start with the 49's. Hopefully he wont be on the sidelines for too long.

Maybe Baltimore isn't great but they could be one day :) As for Joe Flacco, in a playoff game I would take him ahead of a lot of the guys you mentioned (especially in front of guys like Romo and a couple of the others who might fold in the big games). It does help to have a great OL. I think he is paid as a top 5-10 QB because he negotiated a new contract after he won the SuperBowl.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda ;).....I guess we'll see anyway - all I know is that I'll be quite happy to see another AFC team thats not NE match up with them come the post-season.

Ah I know where you're coming from RE: Romo & post-season but I think that knock on his is kinda undeserved and a tad simplistic. The guy was healthy for one of the first times ever last year and lead the league in QBR (Flacco #10 & 16pts back). Hey i flagged it from the get go, as a post-season player Flacco does seem to consistantly elevate his game - but to be an elite QB you've really got to be able to make chicken salad from chicken shit.......thus making the rest of the players on offence better, dunno if Flacco can do that but we'll get a better idea of that this yr.

The other thing with him and you touched on his remuneration is that his salary is HEAVILY backloaded. $USD28.5m in 16 and $USD31m in 17!!!!! Thats going to be awfully hard to pay and have enough left to put a decent team on the field.

As is well chronicled Flacco bet on himself going into the final year of his last contract - so he could have extended at much lower levels but chose to play his deal out AND also had one of the great post-season runs by a QB, which ended up getting him paid (at the time) as the highest paid QB. THAT you have to respect - and BAL really had no other option, but spending is like anything short term gain equals long term pain - they'll restructure a few times but that just drags it out and is only worth doing IF BAL is in Win Now phase and not rebuilding. Anyway I don't think they'll be in the mix this year, too thin on the offensive side of the ball and PIT should take the division by a few games BUT they'll be competitive.

Actually @Nick the Knife if Joe Flacco was elite he would have won the last two games but he didn't guess he really is average :)

He does get paid as a top 5 QB and that is a massive problem. After Suggs got injured Baltimore whole season went down with him.

@SydBJW , hate to say I told ya so but..... :cool:

Ah, losing Suggs is a big loss as they've no other edge rusher to compliment Dumervil, thus he can be doubled - one great pass rusher alone isn't a big issue but more than one is a major headache. They'll just have to manufacture the pressure by blitzing more or get more internal push from Jernigan, who looked very good last yr.

Ah, I don't think BAL really had a shot this yr. Their Offence is really pretty mediocre, Crap at TE, Forsett was a career journeyman until he had a great yr last - so i don't think he' anything spesh. WR is very thin, no burner to stop defences from pushing down....you can't see BAL scoring many points in any given game and when they had an overpowering D that was ok - but thats no longer the case.

PIT will win that division and CIN might get a wild card but BAL needs to reload on offence.

Great win for NE serving up Rex Ryan a big slice of STFU Pie. Whilst I think he's a good in game coach the dude is an off the charts blowhard (think all the SB win promises he left unfullfilled in NYJ etc) - maybe it's just done for motivation BUT you do get left looking like a clueless twit when it doesn't work out. Got up at 3am to watch the game and the score wasn't a reflection of how onesided it was - Belichick being a moron going for it on 4th & short twice handed the ball back and directly lead to BUF scores - dunno why he does silly crap like that - as BUF was not moving the ball at all & as they say you never give a sucker an even break. Have to say I'm amazed at how well Brady is playing and also that the interior of their OL held up amazingly well against BUF's $USD250m+ dollar defensive line!