April 2013 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
I'll start this one off.

Shaving gear:

IMG_20130404_200650_zps348eb7f3.jpg

I'm getting back into mountain bike riding, and was given this by a friend. Currently fixing it up:

IMG_20130403_185041_zpsf77ee50e.jpg

Thanks to generous PiF's

Ingram's Menthol Cream
ARKO! Cream
Curious Brush - any info on it Mr626?
Some blades - Derb's, Sharky's and Astra SP

Cheers!

Thanks to generous PiF's

Ingram's Menthol Cream
ARKO! Cream
Curious Brush - any info on it Mr626?
Some blades - Derb's, Sharky's and Astra SP

Cheers!

Ah yes. It's ARKO, but not as we know it (Jim).

The curious brush is the (in)famous #6 horse hair from bestshave.net. Wooden Handled Shaving Brushes no:6 [brush6] - $2.45 : Bestshave.net, International supplier of shaving equipment
I use one as my travel brush- works quite well. For $2.50 it isn't perfect of course- not exactly dense and I find it sheds a bit. Works well enough for me though.

The blades I had pre-packaged for a PIF ages ago and got no takers, so I chucked them your way.

Loads of vintage Gillette stainless blades from the cunning plans no 2 and 3 that Mark and I hatched out. Cunning plan no 1 involving a load of Shicksas looks like being dead in the water. Also got some bakelite razors that Mark had acquired as "by catch" from his collecting. Oh, and a Souplex travel kit which was also by catch from what I can gather. Given that I'm one of the few Souplex razor owners around town I can do something with it. All in all a huge package of goodies! I'll try and get some pics up and running.

Last edited:
I received today 50 Perma-Sharp Super blades and the Arko soap in a tub. When I got the delivery note, I was hoping it would be a brush...

Had my SSD on my notebook crash on Tuesday. Using my old one at present so keeping things a little limited.

I will have some nice picks to post after next week when I'm back from NZ.

In the meantime my parents have returned from a holiday in Tassie, with a cased Rocket HD, Knack and Tech for me. Great to have 'staff' hunting for you too :)

I know what they get that lot for too - they haggle much harder than I do!

Nice Mark, seems like there is a fair bit of shaving kit in Tassie second hand stores. A cased Rocket HD sounds like a pretty rare find!

I got a very good deal on an iKon OSS today, not so far from half price. I've been looking for an open comb, and this seemed a good deal. I'm going to bide my time and get the OC base plate when one shows up on a B/S/T somewhere. Now, the long wait for it to arrive...

This came on Friday. I've only used it once, but it has impressed. Great handle, and the knot is softer than the unbleached bristle in the #49.

omegaunbloomed.jpg

This came on Friday. I've only used it once, but it has impressed. Great handle, and the knot is softer than the unbleached bristle in the #49.

omegaunbloomed.jpg

Nicely proportioned brush. Personally I prefer the look of unbleached boar but once it's covered in soap it doesn't really matter I guess. What are the dimensions?

Unfortunately, there are no unbleached knots in the Premium line. I wanted to compare the difference, but mostly I just wanted this handle. It's a 25mm knot, loft is 59mm. Just a little bit smaller than a #49, so it's still pretty big.

Grabbed a '62 (H4) Tech from the 'bay - postage was a bit of a killer to the overall price (~$12 for the razor, $16 for postage) but it's in really good condition.
Need to get me some IPA to sterilize it and maybe some metal polish, though not sure how that might effect the "Gillette" etching? on the head.

$T2eC16d,!ysE9sy0jKZDBRYv2MiKwQ~~60_3.JPG

Supposedly have a Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) coming from a BB member in Europe - "just pay me when it gets delivered to you"....
Should turn up in the next couple of days I would have thought.

Also still looking for a nicely priced, v.good condition Slim or Executive.

Despite my issues with the Mergress and it's poor blade alignment tolerances, I am quite enjoying it with a Feather blade and low setting.

Grabbed a '62 (H4) Tech from the 'bay - postage was a bit of a killer to the overall price (~$12 for the razor, $16 for postage) but it's in really good condition.
Need to get me some IPA to sterilize it and maybe some metal polish, though not sure how that might effect the "Gillette" etching? on the head..........

I've got the exact same Tech. That one looks pretty clean to me. I've never used more than a bit of toothpaste and an old tooth brush for cleaning/sterilisation and polishing. You can use Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish if you're really keen but as with all good polishes it's hydrocarbon based and stinks. It's really mild and bikies swear by it.

Supposedly have a Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) coming from a BB member in Europe - "just pay me when it gets delivered to you"....
Should turn up in the next couple of days I would have thought.

There are some really nice people on B&B. They tend to get shouted down by hords of morons but they're there.

Last edited:
My parents are happily on holiday in Italy at the moment, and I heard today that I will be the happy recipient of Cella, Bolzano's and a Valobra stick. I sent them with a bit of a shopping list, including Proraso, Speick and Palmolive menthol. Sounds like my dad had a good time in the barbershop in Milan. Does anyone know anything in particular I should have them keep an eye out for?

My parents are happily on holiday in Italy at the moment, and I heard today that I will be the happy recipient of Cella, Bolzano's and a Valobra stick. I sent them with a bit of a shopping list, including Proraso, Speick and Palmolive menthol. Sounds like my dad had a good time in the barbershop in Milan. Does anyone know anything in particular I should have them keep an eye out for?

Some Floid if they can get it.

I did consider asking for Floid, but everyone describes it as a powdery scent, and I don't think I'd like that. I'm kinda hoping Speick is around in supermarkets and chemists over there, but sadly due to my sensitive skin, I'm a little limited with aftershaves.

Have you tried Acqua di Parma by any chance, Jug? It's pricey, but that's a good reason to try and have my folks chase it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.