MÜHLE Rocca Stainless Steel & Birch Bark Safety Razor
7G3s0CB.jpg

It arrived ...

nR7v58kl.jpg

... it is beautiful ...

xIUeG6tl.jpg

thanks for the heads up that helped me acquire this @Holiday

(pics do not do it justice)

The knot looks stunning - congratulations @Mark1966 (y)(y)(y)

It truly is - original and very special!

28mm x 48.5mm I beleive
I've never seen a vintage knot like this one...must have been made for a king or at least a prince

I've never seen a vintage knot like this one...must have been made for a king or at least a prince

Effectively a Chubby Two made by Simpson with Hoffritz branding.

Back in about 1982 or 83, I bought a Simpson (not a butterscotch) with a knot very like this from their shop in London. It was occupying pride of place in their window display, and I drooled every time I walked past on my way to/from work, and at the time I was relatively flush with cash. I can't remember the exact figure, but I think it was north of £300 even then. Who knows what it would cost now, if it were even available. It lasted with daily use for over 30 years, but now it only has a little more hair than I do. Somewhere I've still got it, but it might be an awkward re-knot: the socket is 31mm diameter, a little tight for a 30mm knot, but a little loose for a 28mm.

Back in about 1982 or 83, I bought a Simpson (not a butterscotch) with a knot very like this from their shop in London. It was occupying pride of place in their window display, and I drooled every time I walked past on my way to/from work, and at the time I was relatively flush with cash. I can't remember the exact figure, but I think it was north of £300 even then. Who knows what it would cost now, if it were even available. It lasted with daily use for over 30 years, but now it only has a little more hair than I do. Somewhere I've still got it, but it might be an awkward re-knot: the socket is 31mm diameter, a little tight for a 30mm knot, but a little loose for a 28mm.
Small dremel sanding drum, hey presto 30mm head lather tool. All for about $20

Sounds like a perfect candidate for one of the fantastic customised Rhodium knots from @Srdjan.

It truly is - original and very special!

28mm x 48.5mm I beleive
Chubby 2 dimensions? Must have been some big shekels! But from the 2 brushes I grabbed from you it seems the vintage badgers are better than the more modern ones. Not that I have much to compare it too. Even my modern ones are years old.

Last edited:
How about a 30mm synbad from APShave Co.
https://etsy.me/2HeIp1B
That would be my choice of I was going to bother with it. In truth, though, I always liked the knot better than I liked the handle. As you know, there are lots of really lovely handles around, and (I'll probably be burned as a heretic for saying this) Simpson just doesn't cut it.

Besides, I think Mrs Gargravarr might have heard my eyeballs rolling around on the floor when I was looking at CaYuen's Etsy page the other night. The brush I was most interested in suddenly disappeared, and I suspect she might have been anticipating a certain birthday... :whistle:

Chubby 2 dimensions? Must have been some big shekels! But from the 2 brushes I grabbed from you it seems the vintage badgers are better than the more modern ones. Not that I have much to compare it too. Even my modern ones are years old.

Yes, this is aimed to be the END of my butterscotch purchases ...

If you decide to reknot, pls do it justice and don't do...you know what I mean...

I believe Mark at Simpsons usually accepts old handles for re-knots and has some stash of old hair as well ;)