Review Barrister & Mann 'Latha'

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I know many of us came away with one of these tubs in the recent Group Buy, so looking very forward to the myriad of impressions and reviews.

Here's my first impressions from my recent SOTD.

"I really, really, really like the scent of the @Barrister & Mann Latha. For a 'budget' soap I reckon it's pretty complex. I picked up less 'barbershop' and more...ummm...look I really don't know what defines 'barbershop', but the other barbershops I have used are normally pretty linear sweet wood (e.g., TOBS Shave Shop). With the Latha I get a little smokey but aniseed for some reason, the better half says leather is the main note piquing her nostrils. A bloody good lather too. I will add a proper review when I get a few more shaves under my belt, but without giving away the plot - so far, so bloody good."

I will add more as I shave more with it. But it's shaping up to be quite a beauty!

I must say I was impressed by this. I used it today for a 2-pass under the straight.

I currently use a large soup cup/bowl for lathering, and I was able to quickly make enough lather for 3 passes.

Before shaving with this soap I was contemplating hard, about moving it on to another owner. But, no. Super soft and slippery, a beautiful shave soap.

The scent for me is a little strong in the pot, but on the face it seems to be a lot milder. I will disclaim here that I have had my nose broken previously, and my sense of smell has been diminished as a result. So the strength of scent may vary for others.

I've had this soap for a few weeks now and while I'm still wavering on the scent, usually loving it but occasionally dropping to liking it.

The lather on the other hand is always top notch. This soap takes a fair amount of water to get that really slick yet cushioning lather. However it is also very forgiving if you don't get the water level correct - it is still a great shave.

I've used horse hair, badger (pure), boar, synthetic and mixed boar/horse brushes with this soap and the lather was always thick and easy to create.

The only negative with this soap is that it may ruin you for lesser soaps.

7Buzr5b.jpg

The only negative with this soap is that it may ruin you for lesser soaps.
I hear ya mate, and wholeheartedly agree that no-one should settle for less than B&M Latha. Lesser soaps should be simply tossed

...or mailed to those ascetics who carry nothing but an alms bowl fashioned of a skull and a stick of arko

I've had this soap for a few weeks now and while I'm still wavering on the scent, usually loving it but occasionally dropping to liking it.
Well just as well Will has now decided to add a few more scents to the party.
Lemon
Lavender
Ocean (aka similar to #2 prototype)
11537922_884006808348562_4420753400342695174_o.jpg

We figured that those who didn't like the original could probably find something they like in the expanded line. :)

Glad you're all enjoying it!

Beaudelaire is being replaced by the black labelled Latha I take it ?

I hear ya mate, and wholeheartedly agree that no-one should settle for less than B&M Latha. Lesser soaps should be simply tossed

...or mailed to those ascetics who carry nothing but an alms bowl fashioned of a skull and a stick of arko
Let me know as soon as you have all your other soaps packed up @stillshunter and I will send you my address.

I would totally trade some Latha for an alms bowl made from a skull. :p
I mwill see what I can do @Barrister & Mann. I used to have 5 grandchildren, but two of them misbehaved while visiting so I have a couple of "alms bowls" that are out bleaching in the sun. I wil send you a message when they are ready. :)

No, the black one is the Original. Beaudelaire is being discontinued.
:(
It was a nice scent as a regular go to fougere, leaving the limited editions for exactly that, which sadly, are also no longer :(
Looks like there's an omission within your lineup mate :)

:(
It was a nice scent as a regular go to fougere, leaving the limited editions for exactly that, which sadly, are also no longer :(
Looks like there's an omission within your lineup mate :)

I disagree. Artisan soapmakers are flooding the market with "fougères" (most of which are no such thing), which is hurting my ability to continue to sell proper fougères at a higher price point. It's not worth my doing it anymore and is really a matter of economics, not art.

I disagree. Artisan soapmakers are flooding the market with "fougères" (most of which are no such thing), which is hurting my ability to continue to sell proper fougères at a higher price point. It's not worth my doing it anymore and is really a matter of economics, not art.
I've noticed a few being touted as Fougeres but the scent list is anything but. It does seem to be the flavour of the month at the moment, which means pretty much everyone will be 'over it' in 12 months time.

While it is only my opinion, I think the B&M Fougeres will make a reappearance at some stage down the track. Not committing to a timeframe.

Had a package arrive today that i wasn't expecting. In a mensbiz box. I have never ordered anything from mensbiz, wtf is it?

Opened the box and still has nfi what it was, and was racking(sp?) my brain trying to remember what i must have ordered.
I only cracked on when I saw 3 boxes labeled 1, 2 & 3.
It's been so long since there was a post that I can't find the latha testers thread so I'll just poor a quick note here.

Thanks to whoever labeled the bottom of the bowls as well as the top. My wife asked to sniff them, but had of course forgotten which order I had given them to her.
Her immediate response was that numbers 1&3 were her favourite.

Yeah got super excited when I visited your site last night and found both fougeres available...and ON SALE...but, alas, not tallow :(
Will there be another batch containing animal goodness mate?

He's said on a few occasions that that is your lot. It's too expensive to make real fougere soaps when there are others labeling soaps the same with completely different ingredients and selling at half the price.
If something isn't economically viable then you can't blame the man for pulling the plug.