BBQ'ing

Dale.Whiley

2017 Sabbatical
Townsville - postcode is one digit off heaven
North Queensland is the place where BBQ is king (well, Australia fullstop lays claim to BBQ'dom. NQ just monopolises year-round BBQ weather) . I'm wondering if we can get get a forum started in "Masculine Pursuits" where all our chefs (we certainly have enough baristas to start our own Australia-wide espresso store chain) can submit their favourite tried and refined recipies?

I am unaware of any current discussion we have for this important Austrlian male survival skill. The motion is now tabled; please present your opinions for or against.

Dale.

I think what most males in Australia do is grilling. Real BBQ is low and slow.
Steak and snags do not a bbq make.

That said I do own a weber q100 and it does do a mean steak.

I'd love to have a smoker but my other BBQ is another weber - the ubiquitous kettle. With a little care and attention to detail you can do low and slow on that using the snake method and I've done a good few pulled pork shoulders using that.

Don't claim to be an expert but I do understand the basics.

I can feel another obsession coming on ....

Sorry Dale. I didn't mean to suggest that is what you did, more that it is all the average man sites with his BBQ.

I don't know of you have frequented the Aussie BBQ forum but one of their members (captain cook) has prepared a PDF of some fine recipes he has collected. If anyone wants it let me know and I will see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought a BBQ for myself just before Christmas. Just a hooded gas BBQ job. It did do the two Xmas Chooks pretty well, and I also did the Chilli Lime Bicardi prawns and a box of mixed souvlakia on it too. I would dearly love a massive Kamado however they are $2k and I live in an apartment. Charcoal does not go down well with the Body Corporate.

I do not think a separate BBQ forum is required, but I may throw in a 'Food' section and add a BBQ prefix. Will add the above Chilli Lime Bicardi prawns recipe to it, as it usually goes down a stormer whenever I do it.

At this stage, there is a XenForo update looming over my head which I need to complete first. I will be adding anything 'new' after that time in order to minimise issues.

I think what most males in Australia do is grilling. Real BBQ is low and slow.
Steak and snags do not a bbq make.

That said I do own a weber q100 and it does do a mean steak.

I'd love to have a smoker but my other BBQ is another weber - the ubiquitous kettle. With a little care and attention to detail you can do low and slow on that using the snake method and I've done a good few pulled pork shoulders using that.

That's just crazy talk.

I have a very old Weber genesis w/hood. It's done a dozen Xmas turkeys. I'm over xmas turkey, I fkin hate it. Did grilled salmon and garlic prawns this year. I 'cheated' and used my Ray's outdoors cheapy cast iron, and my De Booyay. Kids ate everything and no turkey forced down everyones gullets as leftovers til March.

The next BBQ will be the top of the waz Weber Q.

My friend round the corner has a smoker. He's brought his over from Missouri and we had xmas lunch at his place last year. Smoked ribs and chicken and salmon with his spicy marinade, shipped in. I was ready to have his babies after that. I love Americans, never a bad word...

Yeah, I'm a member of Aussie BBQ too. Got a weber kettle and a weber smokey mountain. I love the low and slow.

"Sorry Dale. I didn't mean to suggest that is what you did, more that it is all the average man sites with his BBQ".<br/>

Eggbert,

No offence was intended I'm sure & it has definitely not been perceived as such. Althogh snags are a valid BBQ fare, there is so much more. Shaving can be a plastic disposable or a work of art. I enjoy entertaining friends we have and serving "those" meals adds to people recalling the evening you served… … … , not just had a few snags.

There is a passion among our members in our shaves, our coffees, our transport our… … … what better gathering of blokes to (close but steered clear of the g-word) brag about and share their fares. Ideas & opinions are like eyes; everybody has a couple. Let's all use each others experience.

BBQ'ing is a generic term for standing on you veranda/back yard and cooking. As with our shaves, many tools of the trade with many personal touches.

Dale.

Tips for the perfect steak.

Salt (Sea salt here folks, not ground table salt) your meat for at least 45 minutes up to overnight. If that is not possible, do it immediately before you cook it.
Pre-heat in the oven on low heat before searing on high heat hot plate, flipping every 15 seconds on the hot plate.
Use plain oil and save the butter for the last minute or two with a thicker steak (and remember to directly sear the fat upon thicker steak too as it's had no direct heat).
Cut and peaking to see if it is cooked is inaccurate, as what you see and what you get after resting are different. Get a digital thermometer.
Rest it after cooking for a few minutes, it keeps it tender and moist and allows the temperature to reach it's peak, finishing the cooking process.
Cut against the grain, this makes for more tender bites.

Get a digital thermometer.

Best advice ever. A good digital thermometer is absolutely indispensable in the kitchen. No more overcooked chicken or stressing about whether it is done enough. Perfect steaks every time. I even use mine while baking.

Founding that recipe collection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzmwzduz1ck12vu/Q Recipes Dec 07.pdf?dl=0

Everything I have tried from it has been a winner.
Eggbert,

We have a sitting for 8 tomorrow night and your recipe for Grilled Basil & Pepper Coated Meat gets a guernsey (using Porterhouse steak as rump & T-bone have too strong a flavour and will probably clash with the basil and we've overdone the chicken dishes in the last 6 months). Thanks for your tip.

Dale​

Eggbert,

We have a sitting for 8 tomorrow night and your recipe for Grilled Basil & Pepper Coated Meat gets a guernsey (using Porterhouse steak as rump & T-bone have too strong a flavour and will probably clash with the basil and we've overdone the chicken dishes in the last 6 months). Thanks for your tip.

Dale​

Update on the BBQ fare last night. One of our guests has an allergy to garlic (even the smallest amount gives her killer migraines) so I could not find a spicy Peri Peri type sauce as they all contained garlic. Ended up buying Porterhouse steak (cuts an inch thick) and marinating it for 7 hours in:
  1. Olive oil
  2. White wine vinegar
  3. Whole-seed mustard
  4. Basil leaves
  5. Sea salt
  6. Whole peppercorns
Served with a pumpkin salad and garlic bread ... ... ... yum.