BBQ'ing

Seating for 8 tonight.

Main.
8 x BBQ'ed Porterhouse steak cuts (1" thick), that had been marinated for 24 hours in olive oil, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, margoram, whole peppercorns, sea salt and mixed herbs served with a side of BBQ'ED thick sliced onions and BBQ'ed mushrooms sliced in halves.

One of our visitors brought a salad.

I made a huge bowl of trifle - sponge cake, fruit salad, custard, jelly, whipped cream and sprinkled with green grapes. The secret to the jelly is to make it thicker than normal consistancy. Do this by only using half the recommended water in the instructions.

Finished with various espresso based drinks fron the Rancilio.

Once again the hooded BBQ proves it's worth.

I grilled tonight too.
Northern Thai pork.
Marinaded the pork in:
Coriander root,
Coriander seed,
Garlic,
Light soy and
Oyster sauce.
Once cooked there was a dipping sauce of
Chili sauce,
Fresh grated ginger and
Tamarind water.

There was also ginger steamed barramundi cutlets, and gai lan.

Not bad at all

It was a nice reintroduction for the Weber q100 which hasn't been used for ages as the grill has rusted up a bit.
Contacted Weber at the end of last week about it and they replaced it FOC. They may not be cheap in Australia but I've got to say their customer service is first rate.

I've got some beef short ribs currently cooking sous vide at 62 degrees C. They have been cooking since Friday night. They will be ready Monday night. Can't wait!

I've got some beef short ribs currently cooking sous vide at 62 degrees C. They have been cooking since Friday night. They will be ready Monday night. Can't wait!
3 hours is a long prep time for my cooking, but 3 days - yikes! I reckon it'd taste pretty awesome though!!!

We often marinade overnight (last nights pork would have been even better if I had managed that) but 3 days?
I'd have to be in a different house to stop the temptation

I have a slow cooker in the cupboard, but I reckon my neighbours would have all helped themselves with that aroma wafting around for 3 days from the veranda. I've owned 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks (not at the same time) for the last 15 years. Our last one had to get put down 12 months ago. With @MrT 's suggestion of slow, slow, SLOW BBQ'ng I'd have to get a big dog back to watch the property.

No aroma. They are vac sealed and just sitting in a water bath. At 62 degrees the beef is still medium. But after 3 days, it will pull off the bone.

Yeah, but a completely different design/concept.

The aldi one was basically a slow cooker with a precise thermostat. No water circulation, and no option for different containers/pots. This is the same as the sunbeem/breville sous vide machines you can buy.

The one I posted above clips on to the side of any reservoir up to about 20L, and circulates the water to maintain even temperature throughout. Makes it much more versatile, accurate, and smaller to store.

How kind of you to do all the research for us and then tell us what's best to buy. [emoji6]

Now, on to smokers... [emoji14]

Ha.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Weber kettle that I rarely use anymore. It's great for cutting your teeth in the smoking world. You're welcome to borrow it for an extended period of time (read years/forever). You would be doing my wife a favour, as my gear takes up a lot of space on our small balcony...

And speaking of Aldi, they had a gas smoker a few weeks ago on special. They are pretty good quality, as they are rebadged 'Hark' brand, which is well respected. I bought one last year for my father in law after it was discounted to $120!

WOW - a whole new world to me.

Don't you just crank up the BBQ to max and blacken some sausages on it?

Of course. Who doesn't like a crispy sausage!

The term 'BBQ' has a different meaning in the US. When we say BBQ, they say 'grilling'. What they call BBQ is 'low and slow', cooking tough cuts of meat (like pork shoulder) for 8-12 hours at about 110 degrees C. They often smoke the meat in the first few hours too. I enjoy that style, and it's quite an art. I've been doing it for maybe 2 years now, and still have a lot to learn.

What I'm mucking around with at the moment isn't strictly BBQ either. Some people call it 'modernist' cooking. It's kind of what chefs like Heston Blumenthal do. But I'm not really into the really modernist stuff, like making gels and foams and all the really weird stuff like that. I just love the good old 'meat and 3 veg', but cooked to perfection using modern techniques like sous vide.

It's all good fun, and it's one of those hobbies that people may laugh at initially, but they shut up pretty quickly once they taste it. My wife appreciates my cooking hobby :)