Blade sampler review

bodge

Having received a blade sampler pack from RM, I thought I would go through each one and note anything that stands out one way or another. I have just come off 2-3 shaves of a feather cause I impatiently wanted to try what's known as the sharpest blade. I will have another go at that blade (and make notes) another time. I wont be 'scoring' attributes. I may do that after going through them all a second time and having some frame of reference or standard.

Benchmark setup
Warm water, MWF, omega boar, Gillette #70 tto, witch hazel AS.

Today is Dorco st-301. I picked these first because I seem to remember Dorco being panned in reviews or at least considered down the scale somewhere, and that would be a reasonable way of comparison, coming from a feather shave.
I found that this blade great! Really nice, smooth. I had a DFS. Smooth.

Yeah, I don't mind Dorcos. Just an unfortunate name. If they had a more edgy name, I'm sure people would love them. Personally can't tell much difference between one blade and the next to be honest. I go by the packaging. I like having different looking blades wrappers. Gives a bit of excitement and variety. Sad, isn't it. At the moment I've only got Shark wrappers to look at. Nice wrapper, nice blade.

Yeah, I don't mind Dorcos. Just an unfortunate name. If they had a more edgy name, I'm sure people would love them. Personally can't tell much difference between one blade and the next to be honest. I go by the packaging. I like having different looking blades wrappers. Gives a bit of excitement and variety. Sad, isn't it. At the moment I've only got Shark wrappers to look at. Nice wrapper, nice blade.

Haha I like the different wrappers too, yes it's sad, but it's kind of like a showbag full of foreign lollies that you have no idea what they are.

Today I picked the corniest box, the Gillette Goal (stainless made in India). I don't like these. They are definitely duller than the Dorco. As I had less than a full days growth, I was expecting an easier shave. I didn't experience the smoothness that I got yesterday with the dorco. Some parts I left a little rough as it was too harsh to get much closer. Probably the weakest blade I have tried so far. Not useless, as I did manage to shave.

I have looked at blade reviews before but I am not looking at them at the moment until I go through all these blades. Most of the blades I am going through in the monsta smapler, I don't recall what they were rated at and don't wish to. So if I go against the consensus especially along the lines of "it was really sharp!" when everyone else thinks they are dull will be revealing to me.

Today is Dorco st-301. I picked these first because I seem to remember Dorco being panned in reviews or at least considered down the scale somewhere, and that would be a reasonable way of comparison, coming from a feather shave.
I found that this blade great! Really nice, smooth. I had a DFS. Smooth.

The Dorco's are a good blade but they aren't sharp enough in my book, and deteriorate fast. Simply no longevity to them, but my god they are smooth. The biggest problem I had is applying pressure to the shave and then cutting myself on them.

They are a good everyday blade. I could shave with these, Red IP's, and SI's every day and get no irritation. On a 2-day growth I tend to get tugging, but just enough to make it uncomfortable. A one day growth seems to work better with the ST-301's on my face.

2 shaves and I throw them. Sometimes I throw them in the middle of the second shave.
Today I picked the corniest box, the Gillette Goal (stainless made in India). I don't like these. They are definitely duller than the Dorco. As I had less than a full days growth, I was expecting an easier shave. I didn't experience the smoothness that I got yesterday with the dorco. Some parts I left a little rough as it was too harsh to get much closer. Probably the weakest blade I have tried so far. Not useless, as I did manage to shave.
I feel these are sharper but they are a bit rough when compared to a Dorco. I think the best word is unrefined when compared to something like a Red IP or Dorco. Remembering that they are a Indian blade which are on the cheap side yet marketed as an 'Aspiring Brand' - they make the packaging bright and sporty to convey a higher performance than they are.

I get more than serviceable shaves from these, although can feel a touch raw in places if I am not careful. Again, longevity is an issue and 3 shaves is about all I can reliably get from the Goals. The Indian Wilks are similar in overall shave quality, but swap in a 7OC Black and it will feel like you have jumped out of a Tata and into a Ferrari. Oh, and if you think the Goals feel a little blunt then be prepared when the 365's jump into your razor. It will feel like you are pulling the whiskers out by the roots.

Maybe a complete photo of your package is in order?

The Dorco's are a good blade but they aren't sharp enough in my book, and deteriorate fast. Simply no longevity to them, but my god they are smooth.

>Gillete goal
I feel these are sharper but they are a bit rough when compared to a Dorco. I think the best word is unrefined I get more than serviceable shaves from these, although can feel a touch raw in places if I am not careful.

The Indian Wilks are similar in overall shave quality, but swap in a 7OC Black and it will feel like you have jumped out of a Tata and into a Ferrari.

Oh, and if you think the Goals feel a little blunt then be prepared when the 365's jump into your razor. It will feel like you are pulling the whiskers out by the roots.

Maybe a complete photo of your package is in order?

I am glad the dorco was first now. If the Ggoal was first I may have given up the challenge. So, I have felt smoothness. The Ggoal did make me raw on the neckline which is a pretty delicate spot for me in general. The dorco also felt sharper to me, it didn't get hung up on tougher hairs like the goal did.

Tata to ferrari - I felt the opposite going from dorco to goal. I look forward to the 365. Its nice to know where the bottom is, for reference.

I'll take your word as gospel on longevity, as I am not doing that on my first round of tests.

Today I went with a more known quality, because I was feeling a little tender. The russian green 7oC super stainless. These were discussed recently on the forum, as I remember, Pablo not liking them, but others say they're OK/good. I found I had a great shave. I had a bit more growth to get rid of than usual, and this blade was a godsend compared to yesterday. I have an nice even shave again, even though I was still a bit raw, this blade allowed me to get a very close shave whilst being gentle on the tender spots. Next time I try this one, it will have a fairer go by following a previous good shave, rather than a difficult one.

And here is the pic of the glorious, generous sampler. Must say thanks again. Thanks!
monsta sampler.jpg

I am glad the Dorco was first now. If the Goal was first I may have given up the challenge. So, I have felt smoothness. The Goal did make me raw on the neckline which is a pretty delicate spot for me in general. The Dorco also felt sharper to me, it didn't get hung up on tougher hairs like the goal did.
Just goes to show that the differences between people and razors can result in vastly different experiences, the old YMMV factor. I'm glad you like the Dorcos, but there's plenty more to try.

Tata to ferrari - I felt the opposite going from dorco to goal. I look forward to the 365. Its nice to know where the bottom is, for reference.
The 365 is not the bottom. I didn't send you any of the Fakeidiums or NotRubies.

I also have a few blades called Topaz... Indian made. I rate them lower than 365's, so not including them was a rare moment of care and consideration for your face.

I'll take your word as gospel on longevity, as I am not doing that on my first round of tests.
Well it seems like you had a better run with the Dorcos than I usually do. Yours may last longer.... but they are definitely shorter life blades.

Today I went with a more known quality, because I was feeling a little tender. The russian green 7oC super stainless. These were discussed recently on the forum, as I remember, Pablo not liking them, but others say they're OK/good. I found I had a great shave. I had a bit more growth to get rid of than usual, and this blade was a godsend compared to yesterday. I have an nice even shave again, even though I was still a bit raw, this blade allowed me to get a very close shave whilst being gentle on the tender spots. Next time I try this one, it will have a fairer go by following a previous good shave, rather than a difficult one.
The Indian Greens are considered sharper and longer lasting then the Russian version. They might we worth trying soon.

Also, the Indian Wilks (3rd on the bottom row) are worth trying early on. The direct competitors are the Goal and the Indian Green. The Rapira blades are also in that neighbourhood.

The best blades are the GBE's, PermaSharp Supers, 7OC Blacks and the Feathers.

Second Tier would be the Dark/Maltese Platinums, Superthins, Voskhods and Indian Greens.

Everything else is below that. Special Monsta venom for 365's and the SuperMax Super Platinums. Those Supermax really hate my face, yet pretty sure that Rocco (another damn Perth resident, think he is only over YKW) loves them.

Its nice to know where the bottom is, for reference.

One day I shall ship the Holy Grail of uselessness in a razor blade to you fellas - There is a French-made (I think) blade called "Laser" (not the one from India) that I think is made from dampened hardboard (link in case you fellas call it something else) - if you didn't think that it could take an edge, you would be spot on - it can't but they still sell them as razor blades. After a Laser *everything* seems sharp - including your butt.

Yesterday deserves another mention, it was a very close shave. Had less growth, felt clean shaven throughout the day which is pretty rare, so I was expecting to have an easier day of it again today.

Through a combo of coins tosses and spin the bottle, today I used supermax super platinum. I kept the emergency russian green on hand nearby due to monstavenom.

1st pass was goodly and reasonably smooth, at this stage I knew there would be no need for the backup. 2nd pass also good. It's the touch-up-cleanups where the differences can show more distinctly for me. I have to say that this blade felt sharper than the goal, probably less sharp than the russian green, about on par with the dorco.
Smoothness, below dorco, above goal, a bit below the Rgreen. But, it did not shave as closely as the Rgreen. I did try to get closer but it wasn't feeling like it was going to happen without causing a lot of irritation. Not as clean shaven as yesterday but OK. This blade is just that, OK. I may have rated it higher than OK had it not been for yesterdays amazing shave.

Oh and thanks monsta for not sending me a surprise bottom of the barrel skin hater. When I got your blade sampler and knew I was going to do this testing, I started with the attitude of "come what may, I will shave with each one of these". One bad shave made me scared to be so cavalier and I'm a bit more tentative on those first strokes.
If any of the blades hates me on the first pass, I think I will stop and go to a known quantity, and rate it at that point.

Hunny - I think an accurately blunt blade might be ok, you know, doesn't shave at all, but doesn't irritate either. It's the sharp but jaggedly that I fear.

The trick with the different manufacture blades is to adjust your angle. You are trying to run a Gillette angle and that doesn't work with non Gillette blades.

Anything Vidyut-produced (SuperMax) and Mostochlegmash-produced (Rapira varieties + Voskhod & Sputnik) blades will be quite different in feel and cut when used at a Gillette angle. Usually I find I need to go with the handle higher, away from my face.

I'm wondering where you will go next. Voskhod?

Just tried the dorco for the first time in a long time myself if ever. (edit: must have tried them before as the pack was open...)
Dorcos got a bad rap I think for one model. I think they have a '300' and a '301'?
And the 300 was bad IIRC.
My 6 shave old SE blade gave up the ghost, only capable of WTG at this stage. And your post got me curious about dorcos, because I knew I had some.
Loaded a 301 into the slim and wasn't so bad, not the sharpest and didn't like ATG that much, but better than gillette greens, russian greens are useless to me, as are derbys.
No real problems with the dorco, not the best, but better than a 6 shave old SE that's for sure!

Last edited:
Non gillette day it is. Using a random number and a coin toss, Voskhod is in.
This is a forgiving blade, I could probably shave all day with this, as long as I don't press hard. I had trouble cutting myself on the voskhod. I got a very close shave with lots of time going over (and over) any rough patches. I liken it to a trimmer rather than a mower. I guess this would fit into the "refined" blade category. I could definitely use this blade everyday, but not going overboard on the allover closeness which I did today.

RM - I looked for the different angle, but really, the razor only works within a pretty tight tolerance already. There is an angle that just works, and going by feel and cut action, I really can't detect if there was any angle difference between this and a gillette. Not saying there wasn't, just cant notice it.

Pablo - I really wonder whether you have a pack of green duds. Even though I said I wouldn't look at blade reviews, I just reread your experience (post 636 SOTD). You don't mind the yellows but hate the greens. When I get through the current run of testing, I want to try green and yellow alternate testing. Green one day, yellow next, then green etc for a few days. I might do that during the olympics.

Hunny - I think an accurately blunt blade might be ok, you know, doesn't shave at all, but doesn't irritate either. It's the sharp but jaggedly that I fear.

A blade that accurately just pulls the hairs out because it's not sharp enough to cut them... rather you than me mate :blink:

Like HM said, blades that aren't sharp enough to cut 'tug'. That is they bite into the hair, grip it because the blade is wedged in, and pull the hair. They are able to get a grip with the blade edge, but not sharp enough to cut through the hair, so they pull on it as you move the razor across your face.
With my wire stubble a lot of blades do that, my beard is way different to hair anywhere else on me, all blades and even used would pass the arm hair sharpest test that you would use for tools like chisels, in fact my used 'blunt' SE blades I take to work to cut pipe insulation or use as scrapers, they are still sharp. Just not sharp enough for my wire strength stubble. It's deadly and my Mrs has knocked me back/kicked me out of bed for it a few times and always gets beard rash from me unless I have shaved a few hours earlier.

Last edited:
Missed shaving yesterday, so an unfair test for todays blade. Decided to try the Gillette Superthin. When I was trying to close the gillette razor I noticed a plinking sound and the doors not closing properly. Tried opening and closing while reseating the blade each time with the same result. 1 door won't close properly. Pulled out the gillette flairtip (which I haven't used yet) it also behaved the same. Tried a couple of other blades that were hanging around and they were fine in either razor. So, without opening another superthin blade, I decided I will leave them for some other time or if you guys have any clues as to what might be happening. I assume the blade is not shaped right or something.

Next blade then was the 7oclock indian green permasharp. This blade is not really distinguishable from the russian green for me. I might have said a touch duller but there's not much in it. 1st pass had a more difficult job than usual due to beard length, so I went with an extra WTG pass. 2nd pass for me in general is a mix of XTG and ATG for differing areas, this is where I start to measure sharpness, and this blade was not outstanding but in the good category. My lather also was a bit off from the usual, maybe due to beard length. The resultant shave is good, close and I have to say the irritation factor is low. It didn't feel like smoothness, just a lack of roughness. Happy to use this blade again.

Good shave yesterday.
Today Gillette blueueue extra. I went in with some bias as these have been mentioned as good etc. and made in sweden etc.

It is a really good blade. It feels sharper than most yet so forgiving. I went to town on my beard doing a lot of extra ATG to get one of the closest all over shaves I have ever had. It's only one shave so I'm looking forward to seeing these again. To get this close a shave with a few other blades is possible for me but with guaranteed irritation and lots of nicks. With this blade I got zero nicks yet so close a shave.

Bias or not, the resultant shave is outstanding.

Good shave yesterday.
Today Gillette blueueue extra. I went in with some bias as these have been mentioned as good etc. and made in sweden etc.

Bias or not, the resultant shave is outstanding.

GBE_2.png

One box of 100 Blades (10 Dispensers of 10 blades). 20 boxes to a carton, so 2000 blades.

GBE_1.png

I have two cartons :D

Mind you, I spent over $600 on these and I had never even shaved with them. I bought a box of 100 and was waiting for them to arrive, and there was 3 cartons on eBay waiting to sell. This turned into one overnight so I grabbed what I could (including 20 boxes to make a carton at a slightly higher rate). About 2 days later the 100-pack arrived and I tried them and was just ecstatic.

But yes, the GBE's are special. The thread over YKW was called "NOS Gillette Bleue Extra - Imbued w/ magical properties?" and was a very well read thread.

I never cut myself with them due to the wonderful blade feedback against your face. Sharp enough to shave very close, but with a control and smoothness which is just fantastic. Possibly the end of the best blades produced by Gillette, with Swedes being just about the pinnacle (and Spoilers before them). Iridiums don't even come close, although a nice shave they don't get as close.

RM, that is some serious future bargaining power you have there.
Yesterdays shave was great.

Today, fortune pulled out a 7oc indian black super platinum. It has the misfortune of following the GBE great shave, but the benefit of less beard to remove than usual.
It is a good blade. It's sharp enough and reasonably smooth. I can shave with this fairly comfortably. It cannot get close like the GBE without irritation. This blade deserves the chance at not following a wowee shave.
Objectivity: I think it's difficult at this point for my judgments not to be affected by the bleue experience. I hate to admit this but I am still getting better at using trad. razor too. I would have considered today's shave as excellent not so long ago.

RM, that is some serious future bargaining power you have there.
Yesterdays shave was great.
Yes, the GBE is just one of those blades that work really well. And they work even better in the Vintage Gillettes, so the #70 (virtually an Aristocrat) should really make them sing. If you have a Slim or Fatboy, dial them out to 6-7 and go for it.

Today, fortune pulled out a 7oc indian black super platinum. It has the misfortune of following the GBE great shave, but the benefit of less beard to remove than usual.
It is a good blade. It's sharp enough and reasonably smooth. I can shave with this fairly comfortably. It cannot get close like the GBE without irritation. This blade deserves the chance at not following a wowee shave.
Objectivity: I think it's difficult at this point for my judgments not to be affected by the bleue experience. I hate to admit this but I am still getting better at using trad. razor too. I would have considered today's shave as excellent not so long ago.

It's funny, I rate the back as sharper than a Bleue, but doesn't have as much smoothness or the feedback of a Bleue, even though you would normally class a Black as a smooth blade.

Pretty sure the Bleue is stiffer, comes from thicker steel. This allows the closer shave, and also the blade feedback tends to let you know when the pressure can be added or your angle is a bit off and can be improved.

Not that the Blacks are a bad blade at all, they are right up there. But it sounds like you had an Eureka moment with the GBE.

Been a bit busy lately.
A couple of days ago, I used a Permasharp super. It was good I guess. It is getting hard to mark differences. I think I found it on par with the Indian black that preceded it. If it was the only blade available, I would be OK with that. Pretty close shave.

Skipped shaving yesterday, as the day before was a late arvo shave and still felt ok.

Today, the gillette 365 has a run. Ok, it's not as sharp as some. I did not walk into this shave as carefree as I did with the goal. With a slightly different stroke, much shorter and careful, I can shave. I got a reasonable shave with some rough patches allowed to stay, because I am starting to know how far I can push. It's some thicker areas of the beard that require a bit of finesse and a real slow down to get through without damage. I wouldn't want to shave like this everyday, it's unfun.

OK just had a quick look at connaught and the permasharps and the gillette goal are the same price. When there is very little difference in price, I don't know why some of these blades have any loyal customers. If the goal was half the price I would choose the permasharps. I understand that the Indian market has a different pricing structure.