Blade sampler review

Yesterday, had an SE shave due to time constraints and wanting a known outcome.

Today Rapira super stainless. No idea what the consensus is on these, but I'm not a fan. It felt smooth enough, but wasn't really sharp enough to do the job well. I had to go over some areas that most other blades (that I rate higher) can get done with less passes and touchups. It was one of those blades that if you want to get a close shave you will be working for it and potential uncomfort. Not that sharp would be my bottom line assessment.

While loading this blade it also felt like it may be just a touch too large for the razor, although the doors did appear to close completely. Not anywhere near the gillette superthin, but a tiny "plink" noise is heard.

Today Rapira super stainless. No idea what the consensus is on these, but I'm not a fan. It felt smooth enough, but wasn't really sharp enough to do the job well. I had to go over some areas that most other blades (that I rate higher) can get done with less passes and touchups. It was one of those blades that if you want to get a close shave you will be working for it and potential uncomfort. Not that sharp would be my bottom line assessment.

I switched to a blade from RMs sampler, the russian Rapira super stainless. Two shaves down and I would say todays effort was better then Fridays. A middle of the road blade, didn't seem to take a lot off in the first pass, second pass gives a decent shave.

You both used the same blade..... cool!

Got to say that Bodge's assessment mirrors my own. Could use them if I was a communist and that is all I had, but the results are less than stellar.

I had a pretty good shave today with a Gillette platinum (bottom row 2nd from the left in the pic of post #5). My feelings on this blade, it wasn't all that sharp, but it was reasonably smooth. It alllowed me to do a lot of touchups due to smoothness but it still required a fair amount of passes to get the job done. It did a good job though.
If I was to break up my ratings into just 2 categories of 'would use' or 'won't use', this blade is definitely in the would use category.

Had a bit less growth at the time of shave than usual. Today a Supermax super stainless. Expectations were of the communist propaganda style. It certainly didn't feel like the sharpest blade, but it was pretty comfortable in the smoothness stakes. I got a damn good shave but I did have to work for it. Lots of little going over sections. Pretty close shave without much irritation.I am pretty sure my standards are drifting which complicates things a little in the comparisons. In general I am getting closer shaves. There are still intrinsic differences between blades but I'm getting better at using them for what they are capable of.

I can definitely say that there is no way one could rate any type of coating/finish over another ie. platinum/stainless/ptfe as far as usability and function are concerned. Longevity maybe, as I haven't gone there yet.

Just a couple of more blades to go in this test and I'm looking forward to using the favourites of the bunch for a while on their own.

back on to the test. Today inidian gillette wilkinson sword. It's a pretty good blade. Not the sharpest, not the smoothest, but a pretty good combo. Smooth and sharp enough to be a useful option. Had a very good shave with just a little work. I did go a little overboard on getting too close a shave but it let me do it.

Today was the feather test. There is definitely something different about this blade. I am not a fan. With all the "sharpest blade" talk, it's reputation makes one expect a lot. I didn't get what I expected. It is sharp, just not an order of magnitude over the other good blades. If I didn't know I was using this well talked about blade, I think I would have said it has a false smoothness initially but gets rough, and not the sharpest blade.

Not the closest shave I've had, but I did try, a lot. It has the ability to not cut hair (in places) but cut me instead. Just tiny nicks, but other blades manage to do better. The indian gilette/wilk I used yesterday gave me a closer, less irritant shave.

I am really not trying to be contrarian, I had to leave some small sections a bit rough so as not to irritate/cut myself any further.

A fair comment on the Feather.

My advice is to not keep any on the premises because sure enough, after a few months you will read another review of someone who had a good shave and you will think...hmm, might give them another go.

And you will cut yourself. Again.

That's my experience anyway.

What soap/cream did you use?

Jug - I'm using mwf for every test, pretty consistently too. I will definitely have another go of the feather (and others) in the future even against my judgements so far. Perhaps in a different razor.

Decided to continue testing a few other blades that I have as I am on a roll. Today a persona platinum chrome ('reds' bought from connaughts) which are wrapped in white paper.
I bought a bunch of these as they were my favourite (by a fair margin) over the other blades I had initially trialled (astra sp, 7oC yellow, blue) at the start of my trad shaving.

Well call me a backflipper, but these are not that great. Not sharp enough, and middling in the smoothness. My guess as to why I liked them is I was not going for a very close shave before and these seemed more comfortable in the first couple of weeks. The not-so-sharpness lets them down now. After all the blades from rm's sampler these ones do not figure in the high end.

I don't like them for the exact same reason. As you get better with technique, the Reds start to show their inadequacies. Mind you, if that is all I had then I would be okay.

You may find a better result with them in a more aggressive handle like an R41 or even a Slant.

the Reds

You may find a better result with them in a more aggressive handle like an R41 or even a Slant.

I think so. I was using them with the r41. Will have to revisit that combo.

Today 7oC yellow. A bit better than the reds. A similar smoothness and a little bit sharper. Got a closer shave than the reds. Nothing to shout or cry about.

Astra SP today. This provides an ok shave. Not sharp enough, although I did skip a shave yesterday so it had an extra thickness to deal with. I got a pretty close shave. I think it is in the ballpark of the personna sharpness. Funny, I didn't enjoy the shave experience but got a good shave.

Thanks for this thread- really interesting to hear your take on the different blades.

I've found the Astras to be great so far, but at this point I have nothing to compare them to :embarrest:

(that is, I have a few blades to try but have only used the astras thus far)

Thanks for this thread- really interesting to hear your take on the different blades.

I've found the Astras to be great so far, but at this point I have nothing to compare them to :embarrest:

(that is, I have a few blades to try but have only used the astras thus far)

The Astra is ok. After some training wheel time, your tastes and preferences may change. I wouldn't buy too many of anything at an early stage. It's definitely fun to experiment as it keeps a novelty factor in the daily routine. My earlier appraisals were off target. You get used to the consistencies of your face/beard directions and razor angle, then your hand just knows what to do.

Today I have a Derby, it came as a single blade with the r41. Yes, it is a less sharp blade. It is ok in the smoothness. I didn't go all out for closeness, it wasn't going to happen.

Just like the feather isn't leaps and bounds sharper, the Derby isn't leaps and bounds duller. I can see how this blade can be good if your hairs are a bit finer or less thick of a beard.

I find the astra plenty sharp. Miles ahead of the personna.
I find the personna not that sharp (still better than a ton of blades), but it never goes wrong. While the astra will cut if treating it wrong.
Still, it's the razor that matters as much, I strongly believe for most decent blades there is a razor that makes it shine. Eg personna in the slim, astra in the red tip super speed, israelis in the NEW etc. That's how they work, mix the combos up and it's not as good.

Not a critique on your reviews. It's your reviews with your razor and these blades, so it's your own rules and opinions. And if I want sharp, it's a SE GEM blade in a micromatic LOL anyway. That's feather blade sharp and gives closer shaves and last longer than a feather DE blade. So when I use DE, I am not going for the sharpest blade and the closest shave, I'm going for comfortable, smooth and easy. Which is why I like the red personna and astra and with the NEW, the israeli personna.
They are my three 'go to' blades for DE. I have some blueues (longevity in the them is good, that's their only selling point), various gillettes, dorco, treets, WS, feathers, KAI, and smaller name brands - my brother really liked Bics in a fatboy).
But red pack personna, israeli personna (crystals) and astra are the cheapest best blades, common as, cheap, decent etc, just need to find the razor to suit them and you're all set.

Last edited:
I find the astra plenty sharp. Miles ahead of the personna.
I find the personna not that sharp (still better than a ton of blades), but it never goes wrong. While the astra will cut if treating it wrong.
Still, it's the razor that matters as much, I strongly believe for most decent blades there is a razor that makes it shine. Eg personna in the slim, astra in the red tip super speed, israelis in the NEW etc. That's how they work, mix the combos up and it's not as good.

Not a critique on your reviews. It's your reviews with your razor and these blades, so it's your own rules and opinions. And if I want sharp, it's a SE GEM blade in a micromatic LOL anyway. That's feather blade sharp and gives closer shaves and last longer than a feather DE blade. So when I use DE, I am not going for the sharpest blade and the closest shave, I'm going for comfortable, smooth and easy. Which is why I like the red personna and astra and with the NEW, the israeli personna.
They are my three 'go to' blades for DE. I have some blueues (longevity in the them is good, that's their only selling point), various gillettes, dorco, treets, WS, feathers, KAI, and smaller name brands - my brother really liked Bics in a fatboy).
But red pack personna, israeli personna (crystals) and astra are the cheapest best blades, common as, cheap, decent etc, just need to find the razor to suit them and you're all set.

Did an SE featherweight today with the same prep as the other blades. Went for a very close shave and got there. It doesn't feel like the sharpest thing to me though, more like middle of the pack. It's such a different style of cut, I find some areas (of beard) easier with SE and some finicky areas not, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I will be trying different razors later (when I pick some up) with most of the reasonable blades. I have a flair tip here from GT's pif, that I haven't used yet, but it's head design looks identical to mine apart from the blade holder bar manufacturing. The gap and angle look the same. I will definitely be trying a couple of SE razors.

Yes, these reviews are just my experiences, I don't expect that they should mirror anyone else. They didn't even mirror my own opinion from a couple of months ago. I have been surprised at the efficacy of the DE with the right blades and practice. Previously, it was a poor comparison of what I could do with the SE. This is a win for me.