Boar Density

I didn't want to give the impression I was suggesting experience provides a stronger argument. I simply don't think the differences between brush properties are that big.

I do believe brushes are different - hence the different bristle types - and do need to be approached differently, or at least appreciated they are not the same and each has its own character to add. I have more than one example of each type and they respond differently. My own experience in this matter is not limited :)
Reflection: My experience though is just that a limited case study of one.
Steve

I agree with @Drubbing that synths are the easiest to get a decent lather from

I also agree with @bald as, that due to the non existent water retention, you need experience in order to get the lather you want from them. I would go even one step further and say, it is extremely difficult to get super hydrated (dare I say drippy) lather from them.

But then, most soaps don't allow for such a lather anyway, and if you are new to the lather game, you probably have other issues.

That is why I would definitely recommend a synthetic as a first brush, but I would also say that after a while you should explore natural hair knots.

@alfredus ...mate am I allowed to be terrified....

f60d61U.png

"Mapping the Bear"
????

Ummm.....my mind refuses to budge from the one thing this could possibly mean. And I'm running the gamut of :eek::cautious::sick:.
Please, please enlighten us, so I can shake this image....:shudder:

I think that's mainly a load of hocum too, as long as you know enough not to shave ATG on the first pass anyway.
I mainly shave N-->S then S-->N and touch up the tricky areas afterwards these days. And the L77 proved that you can do that and get a very good shave.