Brag about your amazing plans for Christmas...no really, please post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JugV2

Simply boring.
I'm staying home and semi-working over the break, so I need grand and sweeping stories from you guys about what you are doing for Christms.

This is called vicarious living.

I'm doing a lamb shoulder and a rolled pork roast on the Weber, drinking beer and enjoying the lovely day of my phone being switched off. I have no family in Perth so it's just me, the wife and my Proraso soap.

What's everyone else got planned?

Stopping home, just me the missus, the boy and the dog. As ever we shall be sidestepping the usual poultry-based provender and having an Indian (technically a Bengali) banquet.

Could be a tough few days for me... Just shed 26.2kg (and am still on a downward trend) and will be trying not to reverse that loss too much... (Eating less & moving more is the underlying technique in case anyone cares)

HM - VERY impressive shedding there - keep it up mate !!!! :amazed:

Me for Christmas?

White Christmas. Taking the family to NYC. Skating in Central Park. Warm waffles from the street vendors. Crowds of shoppers everywhere, last minute sales at Macys, store displays.

Christmas presents from the Disney store in Times Square. Pasteur Pharmacy!

Carriage ride around the park snuggled under blankets with snow falling softly and gently. Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Square, views from the Top of the Rock and Empire State Buildings.

Noisy NYC mid-town apartments where the traffic doesn't stop 24/7. Italian coffee shop for decent coffee and hot chocolate before the day's adventure starts, Central Station Markets for delicious but healthy food for dinner each evening.

Subways and people, people everywhere, all colours, nations and creeds.

Ferry to Staten Island, the wind whipping off the bay and adding a certain briskness to the otherwise lovely, sunny winter's day.

9/11 Memorial, sombre, reflective, the only place in NYC where you are not constantly bombarded by the sound of people's loud conversations. An oasis of tranquillity and peace (ironically) in the city that never sleeps.

Lights, lights everywhere. Christmas trees in every building, wreaths on every door, lights in every window - making sense and looking like they belong in a city lightly dusted by snow and below zero in temperature.

Oh, sorry, you meant what am I doing this year?

Staying at home, relatives arriving, Christmas at our place. Details being left to wife and daughter.

NYC was 2010 - [sigh] - would be nice to go back although I'm sure the reality is not as good as the memory!

Same here, no going away. Just the two of us and a potential visit from the nutty neighbour.

We are doing thai food for a change this Christmas, Northern Thai pork bbq, Mrs Eggs mum's sate, and crying tiger beef with the appropriate salads and rice.

Saving up the celebrations for Chinese New Year when we will be heading to Malaysia and then Taiwan.

Hanging out with kids, grand kids Christmas morning after which they all disappear off to their prospective in laws. Then my wife will spend the rest of the day on the beach-she still gets a huge kick out of that having lived in northern Europe most of her life- and I'll be playing with my new toy, a chainsaw (although I'm officially not meant to know of course). After that we're off to our shack in the woods down south. Lost 11 K over the last couple of months and don't intend to whack it back on in one session. So no stories of impending gluttony here. Sorry jug.

Last day at work today, full 2 weeks off.

Will have the kids from Tuesday, so they will be with me for Christmas Day again. Really nice to have them around.

Unfortunately the GF is off to Melbourne to be with her family today, she comes back on the 27th.

Family get together on the 29th at Lake Wallace, Wallerawang. Will drop the kids back to their mother in Mudgee afterwards, then take it easy until I go back to work.

Hanging out with kids, grand kids Christmas morning after which they all disappear off to their prospective in laws. Then my wife will spend the rest of the day on the beach-she still gets a huge kick out of that having lived in northern Europe most of her life- and I'll be playing with my new toy, a chainsaw (although I'm officially not meant to know of course). After that we're off to our shack in the woods down south. Lost 11 K over the last couple of months and don't intend to whack it back on in one session. So no stories of impending gluttony here. Sorry jug.

Is this a roundabout way of telling us the grandies are all little bastards PJ? :laugh::laugh:

I kid, I kid. I'm assuming you meant respective?

We have family at our place Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday and likely again on the weekend. Let the feasting begin!

Xmas came early.

My Mum has gone to my sisters in London, and the wife's sister and tribe are NOT coming over. They are obnoxious Sydney name-droppers. my brother in law is CEO of Bendon and loaded to the gills, and let's everyone know what a big wheel he thinks he is. Plus he just causes major arguments whenever he's here. My life turns into a Mexican soap opera for 2 weeks. It's only funny if you're watching happen to someone else.

So the brag is, this year I should stay sane and not want to go on a shooting spree.

No turkey or seafood this year. We plan on going round to another families house with the kids, 6 in all. They're from the US (Missouri) and he's brought his own smoker, so plans to do southern ribs, some chicken and whatever else you can shove into a smoker. I don't think he owns any guns, or goes to church, so it should be fine.

I plan on spending a couple of weeks with the kids, hopefully getting together with a couple of other school Dads, and see how I go acoustic guitaring with others. I also want to set up my learning program for next year. I want to be playing Babe I'm gonna leave you by June (actually by Led Zep, but i think you knew that...).

Have good Yule, y'all come back now y'hear?

Last edited:
Is this a roundabout way of telling us the grandies are all little bastards PJ? :laugh::laugh:

I kid, I kid. I'm assuming you meant respective?

We have family at our place Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday and likely again on the weekend. Let the feasting begin!

Yeah respective is the word. Although in some cases prospective is also valid. There is also one ex involved so I guess you could call that retrospective. Been writing a lot of involved communications lately and my brain is a bit fried and I've got a stinking cold.

Mine begins at about 5 am when the first lot of dough is prepared for bread rolls. Once this is on the rise, time to make a large pasta and even larger green salad. After that time to put the first lot of rolls in the oven and get the second lot of dough under way. After that, set up the second dining table which has lived under the bed for that past 364 days - bolt on the legs and turn upright. Herself has the honour of setting it - First lot of rolls are done, take them out and put in the second lot. Prepare the Turkeys (1) and chickens (2) and make sure the barbecues are ready to go. Using the charcoal Weber for the vegetables this year and the new Weber Q for the 2 chickens - the turkey gets done in the oven. Time for a cuppa tea and a sit down - About 2 get the oven up to temp for the Turkey to go in around 2:30 - fire up the vege Weber around 3:30 - 4:40ish put the veges on and 5:30 for the chickens. Time for a beer - 6 o'clock put on the new potatoes to boil. Check the Turkey around 6:30 should be cooked - remove and wrap in foil. Make the gravy empty the webers - Carve the chickens and turkey - put everything for people to serve themselves (numbers are always interesting - the rule is if you are here when food is served you will be invited to eat - so we can vary from 9 to 14 but nobody goes home hungry). About 7:30 I sit down with the turkey wings on my plate a bottle of wine close by and my day is done (til next year anyway).

The full menu is:

Chicken
Turkey
Roast Potatoes
Roast Pumpkin
Roast Kumera
Boiled potatoes
Home made bread rolls
Pasta salad
Green salad
Turkey gravy
White wine, red wine and beer

Last edited:
Mine begins at about 5 am when the first lot of dough is prepared for bread rolls. Once this is on the rise, time to make a large pasta and even larger green salad. After that time to put the first lot of rolls in the oven and get the second lot of dough under way. After that, set up the second dining table which has lived under the bed for that past 364 days - bolt on the legs and turn upright. Herself has the honour of setting it - First lot of rolls are done, take them out and put in the second lot. Prepare the Turkeys (1) and chickens (2) and make sure the barbecues are ready to go. Using the charcoal Weber for the vegetables this year and the new Weber Q for the 2 chickens - the turkey gets done in the oven. Time for a cuppa tea and a sit down - About 2 get the oven up to temp for the Turkey to go in around 2:30 - fire up the vege Weber around 3:30 - 4:40ish put the veges on and 5:30 for the chickens. Time for a beer - 6 o'clock put on the new potatoes to boil. Check the Turkey around 6:30 should be cooked - remove and wrap in foil. Make the gravy empty the webers - Carve the chickens and turkey - put everything for people to serve themselves (numbers are always interesting - the rule is if you are here when food is served you will be invited to eat - so we can vary from 9 to 14 but nobody goes home hungry). About 7:30 I sit down with the turkey wings on my plate a bottle of wine close by and my day is done (til next year anyway).

The full menu is:

Chicken
Turkey
Roast Potatoes
Roast Pumpkin
Roast Kumera
Boiled potatoes
Home made bread rolls
Pasta salad
Green salad
Turkey gravy
White wine, red wine and beer

Sounds wicked. Cannot get any more traditional than that. No Christmas pud?

Sounds wicked. Cannot get any more traditional than that. No Christmas pud?

Just about forgot - Xmas cakes were made 7 months ago and have been maturing ever since. Although herself wants a fruit platter to finish so I might need to slot that into the schedule somewhere.

.......They are obnoxious Sydney name-droppers. my brother in law is CEO of Bendon and loaded to the gills, and let's everyone know what a big wheel he thinks he is. Plus he just causes major arguments whenever he's here. My life turns into a Mexican soap opera for 2 weeks. It's only funny if you're watching happen to someone else........

Would love to be fly on the wall when that happens. Next year perhaps? Or God forbid you have to go to Sydney and hang out in the big wheel's own den. Then you'll be truly screwed.

Would love to be fly on the wall when that happens. Next year perhaps? Or God forbid you have to go to Sydney and hang out in the big wheel's own den. Then you'll be truly screwed.

You wouldn't. It's like the Daniher's during an alcohol fuelled domestic. I have generally come to dislike Xmas, and not just because I was fooled by santa til I at least hit my teens, but because it's mostly become a fucking familial tinderbox.

2 Xmases ago was (obviously going to be) the dad in law's last. They rented a 12th floor apartment in Crawley overlooking the river and city, and we had it there. Considering circumstances, he behaved himself and it was actually very pleasant.

I brought the cooked turkey over, let her in law get on with it in the kitchen, and I drank all his beer.

You wouldn't. It's like the Daniher's during an alcohol fuelled domestic. I have generally come to dislike Xmas, and not just because I was fooled by santa til I at least hit my teens, but because it's mostly become a fucking familial tinderbox.

2 Xmases ago was (obviously going to be) the dad in law's last. They rented a 12th floor apartment in Crawley overlooking the river and city, and we had it there. Considering circumstances, he behaved himself and it was actually very pleasant.

I brought the cooked turkey over, let her in law get on with it in the kitchen, and I drank all his beer.

Livin proof Drubbing that you can pick your friends but not your relatives. (of course he may feel the same way) :)

my brother in law is CEO of Bendon and loaded to the gills, and let's everyone know what a big wheel he thinks he is. Plus he just causes major arguments whenever he's here. My life turns into a Mexican soap opera for 2 weeks. It's only funny if you're watching happen to someone else.
News justin, most all folks I've ever met with a hyphenated surname are pompous twats, so am indirectly concurring with you here !

Working Tuesday, then driving to Burnie (350km). Breakfast at mother in laws, BBQ at park with rest of the in-laws.

Hopefully, a few quiet drinks that night with just my wife and kids around.

Then more driving and a night or two at my wifes uncles farm at Redpa.

Back home, aahh finally. But, I have a new method I have been writing to finalise before we start using it on the 2nd.

Working Tuesday, then driving to Burnie (350km).

Last time I was in Tassie I drove from Launceston to Hobart in probably three hours or something crazy like that. I like that new highway goes past the speedway and pretty much bypasses everything.

Anyway. BOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.