Coticules

Doesn't anyone in Belgium know how to cut square lines!
ah ha, yeah I found my fave stones don't often come in rectangles. I've had a few rectangles which I've traded on. Right angles are more the remit of common veins....

Some of those look very small compared to others. Are they a much higher grit and therefore more valuable?
I imagine the technique used to hone must be different between them and the larger stones?
Yeah some of those smaller stones are quite rare - e.g., the two bottom left are Les Latneuses, which are nigh impossible to find nowadays and pricey if you do....also some of the very small ones on the margins are slurry stones only. For scale the long one in the middle is close to one foot (28cms)

I recently purchased a combo Coticule/BBW 175x50 with a 25x50 slurry stone from Belgium. I'm still learning :) Not as keen as my Jnat but a good shave.

Noice. It takes some time for the coticule penny to drop....but when it does. Also its a different look under the scope than the JNat or synth edge.
Also different veins will give a different edge. This looks like a Les Petas - esp. if it's from the latest mine (Regné). Otherwise maybe La Grise if from the old mine. You'll get a nice transition but not the cleanest edge.

I'm finding the BBW on the back of the Coticule is very good as well. I'm also finding not one stone fits all. :)

I'm finding the BBW on the back of the Coticule is very good as well. I'm also finding not one stone fits all. :)
WOW it's a BBW combo?!?
You don't much get that in a modern stone. More photos s'il vous plaît!!!

Do you have a link?

This is the information on the stone I purchased.

Ardennes Coticule Combo BBW 175 x 50 mm Sharpening Stone. This product consists in:

- Combo BBW Coticule stone dimensions 175 x 50 mm.

- Wooden box dimensions 200 x 50 mm

- Small Coticule Combo BBW "Slurry" Stone: 25x50 mm

Technical Information on this particular layer

layer: Selected
extracted: Coticule Quarry at Ol Preu
size: Rectangular 175x50 Double Layer
speed with slurry: moderately fast (range: very slow - slow - moderate - moderately fast - fast - very fast)
speed with water: slow (range: very slow - slow- moderate)
slurry: a faint sensation of very fine abrasion.
water: minimal feedback, feels very smooth, very faint sensation of abrasion
Slurry specifics: good slurry release. Very slow auto-slurry when starting with plain water..
Sharpness level coming off slurry: +++(range: + shaves my armhair barely, ++ shaves my armheir well, +++ sufficient to shave my face)
Finishing properties, water only: excellent. hone leaves very smooth edge. very slow edge refinement.
Dilucot: follow standard procedure.
Unicot: follow standard procedure
Touch-up hone, use with water: capable of reclaiming slightly dulling edges. 50 -100 laps depending on edge condition.

Guys on the Coticule forum believe the stone from the pics is possibly a La Grise.
If it is not a BBW it is a very fine finisher as in fairly high grit stone. It is quite slow as a BBW even with slurry but gives a very smooth edge.

Steve

Last edited:
Sorry @bald as, all I was suggesting is don't do a Google image search for that term with safe search switched off.
Just in case, NSFW.