Crowns off to you fellas,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Hey guys,

Nice forum, I wasn't expecting to find an active wet shave forum on the net, especially australian!
I only became interested in wet shaving around 2-3 weeks ago, walked past a shop, saw a DE in the window...... Bought it.
My first shave, no instruction I winged it... with an astra blade, my $19 DE razor and a tube of shave.
Much to my (not) surprise I cut my self 4 times (knicked is too undescriptive to use here) Blood going every where.
I had to find out what I was doing wrong, Surely the blades it come with had to be good enough? My handy old shave tube had never let me down before! Boy was I wrong! First thing I clicked, Stillshunter with a thread resurection meme, But after reading peoples process' I guess I had more questions then answers!
Brush, ATG, XTG, WTG, Soap, reapply.... few others, after another 5 seconds googling I started feeling bad for badgers,
Worked the most of it out that night (stained a pillow mind you) the next week I bought a synthetic/boar brush (75/25 I believe) and a pack of feathers, looked in every shop in town and couldn't find soap... So I took a punt and bought a shave stick,
My second try bought about less blood at least, but I certainly wasn't happy with the result, Missed patches and little knicks, But I was scared and didn't do an XTG or ATG.
My third was much better, 1 cut, no spikes and I done all the necessary directions and steps.
4,5 and 6 have all been better then the last.
I guess my biggest remaining questions would be:
Has anyone used a "comoy" razor? What did you think? Does it get better?
Which soap do you all prefer, and where can I get it.
Other then that thank you all for letting me join the forum, Hope I don't bug you all too much.

Welcome and really hope your journey will be more successful soon!

Don't use any pressure with your new DE - let the razor do all the work (completely the opposite from carts).

Your razor angle is different as well - search a bit for it and you will be very surprised.

Never heard about "Comoy" and therefore: don't waste your time.

My favourite soaps are...OK, we don't need to go there just yet :D

Hello and welcome TheKing (TK from now on). Sounds very familiar. We've all been through similar start ups. Be careful with going too much XTG. I personally barely go XTG below the chin. Other than that, go easy on the pressure and the angle. There's nothing wrong your gear although you can get lots of different soaps, blades, razors, brushes, post shaves, pre shaves etc etc.

Your experience highlight two things. It's not so much DE razors being too hard to learn, it's more that many people never learn to shave off the autopilot of pivoting blades and flimsy disposables. Some have more difficulty adjusting than others. A DE blade does not flex or give and the blades are superior, and sharp. Don't force the blade or add any pressure and you'll get there soon enough.

I would ditch the comoy. A poor quality DE won't help. No one can make a Gillette quality twist turn razor for $20 these days. Yet you can get a vintage Gillette for not much more than that.

My own preference would be for a Merkur 23C or similar. And a good cream like Proraso or Taylors. Learning how to make a good lather will get you 50% there already.

Welcome TK to a fun journey :) I've only been on it coming up to 6 months now myself and the guys here have helped a heap (along with some youtube videos - channels like "Shave the Man" have some good how to videos).

Has anyone used a "comoy" razor? What did you think? Does it get better?

You don't need expensive kit to get a great shave. Sage like advice from long standing members is keep consistent gear for the first few months and develop technique. I started with a Merkur 34c and love it dearly. Different strokes for different folks though... What works for one may not for others, but you will find some that almost everyone agrees on.

Which soap do you all prefer, and where can I get it.

Can't go wrong with proraso stuff. There are a few online retailers in Aus (with a new one opening this week - the stray whisker) Mensbiz, Shaverhut are reputable (there are also discount codes for some shops to use able to be found with google). @Anthony is local and produces Shaver Heaven soaps which are top notch, and may have some scratch and dent stuff left you can pick up for a steal (same price as proraso, but better performance and scents).

What brush are you using atm?

Welcome TK to a fun journey :) I've only been on it coming up to 6 months now myself and the guys here have helped a heap (along with some youtube videos - channels like "Shave the Man" have some good how to videos).

You don't need expensive kit to get a great shave.

No, but crap stuff won't help, and good gear isn't expensive.

Welcome to the insanity, hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.
Where do you reside btw?

Wrlcome @TheKing . A Comoy was my first DE after joining this forum (I came here with a straight). The Comoy lasted a few months (I purchased it for travel) and then the enablers on this site got me and I purchased better. They do work however, just be delicate with your pressure.

As @Drubbing said, good gear isn't expensive and the enablers here will make offers of good gear at a good price.

Wow guys, Seems the forum is more active than I had originally thought.
- Thank you all for the welcomes, Wasn't expecting that haha.
- @alfredus I have been googling, youtubing and P&Cing (<?) I'm getting there working out the angle seems to be razor dependent hey?
- @Pjotr TK sounds good haha, Could XTG possibly be worse then ATG? Whilst shaving it does feel better than ATG, I haven't ever noticed rash/burn, Lucky I guess.
- @Lifes a Peach Pm incoming :notworthy::notworthy: Do you have like a stockpile? haha.
- @Drubbing Are the vintage used? Where would I find one? Also I had been looking at the 25c Merkur (longer handle?) are Parker any good? (pen company?)
- @Korbz I have watched quite a few of his videos already, quite good rather informative, Ha.
- @Korbz every one seems to like merkur, Bloody germans, HAHAHA, Who is opening stray whisker? Forum based? and my brush came from priceline :whistle: does the trick.
- @borked Thank you, Middle of western australia, little place called kalgoorlie.

Now the replies are taken care of :ROFLMAO: I have been looking around at merkurs and parkers and trying to pick and choose, but the ball and chain thinks it would have been cheaper to buy 20 cartridges :p too bad I'm not into it for the savings.
I think I'll stick to the current set until january, I don't want to buy a full set then realise this is another fad like e-cigs.
I am a slow grower so I don't often get to shave. (3 days before visible)(5 day shadow :ROFLMAO:)
Do the avitars indicate that you are all bloody muppets? If so Shotgun animal if I get there hahahaha.

I always thought XTG meant against the grain but it's been a while since I've been involved with the terminology. WTG with the grain. ATG across the grain.

Anyhow, go careful with against the grain. In fact don't bother until you've got your beard pattern mapped. I can see you're already firing PMs out. You postman will come to dislike you very much.

Yeah the muppet thing is partly my fault. Together with another member here (@gthomas04 ) we've been likened to the two old boys on the balcony. It has recently reached a crescendo, hence the emergence of the muppet avatars. You can have Animal. He's my favorite too.

Last edited:
Very belated Hi it seems - don't know how I missed all the action!

Generally accepted as I understand it terminology is:

WTG = with the grain
XTG = across the grain
ATG = against the grain

But we do NOT - YMMV here, it is DSDF (different strokes [for] different folks). None of us are gentlemen either ;)

Some good advice above - but feel free to ask specific questions.

Oh, BTW - it is?

I haven't actually PM'd yet, but thats the joy of being a small business manager, we already get 4 deliverys a day, whats 1 more xD
Has @borked had his name changed then?

But we do NOT - YMMV here, it is DSDF (different strokes [for] different folks). None of us are gentlemen either ;)
YMMV? You might mean vegemite? < oh wouldn't that be the nuts, vegimite after shave? (I'm dribbling)
Also yes every day of my life is like ol' montys!

@Anthony is local and produces Shaver Heaven soaps which are top notch, and may have some scratch and dent stuff left you can pick up for a steal (same price as proraso, but better performance and scents).

What brush are you using atm?
Top notch may be underselling them slightly, the scents, almost enticing enough to eat!
Almost!

- @alfredus I have been googling, youtubing and P&Cing (<?) I'm getting there working out the angle seems to be razor dependent hey?
- @Drubbing Are the vintage used? Where would I find one? Also I had been looking at the 25c Merkur (longer handle?) are Parker any good? (pen company?)
- @borked Thank you, Middle of western australia, little place called kalgoorlie.
Do the avitars indicate that you are all bloody muppets? If so Shotgun animal if I get there hahahaha.
Angle is dependant upon razor and blade actually.
Vintage can be found on ebay, gumtree, etsy and if you're ever privileged enough, ACT, which houses the National Gillette Museum.

Kalgoorlie, I think a call to power from the Members of Menth is in order.
I've a feeling you're one occa fella that would appreciate it :)

I haven't actually PM'd yet, but thats the joy of being a small business manager, we already get 4 deliverys a day, whats 1 more xD
Has @borked had his name changed then?
Oh, what business field are you managing ?
Name change ? You've lost me.

Status
Not open for further replies.