Review Dorco Pace 7 [vs Gillette 1903/04 (Pat App For) Double Ring]

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak re-knotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: MdC
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorn

Back today to the left side of the face and around the chin was the DR, right side and under the nose the Dorco. My regular routine is North -> South and then South -> North with a touch up around the jawline.

Once again with a little attention to detail the DR produced a mighty fine shave. I do confess that I don't find the Old Types as 'comfortable' as the later model Gillette OCs (the NEW and later just feel better on the face IMHO) but with a little care the shave can be excellent.

I gave the Dorco the benefit of my FULL attention this morning. I was trying to use all the care and diligence and good technique that I try to bring to using a DE. it responded, the shave was better than yesterday BUT not 'perfect' having still missed a small patch when i run my hands against the grain post shave. I'm not sure that this is the result of my technique or simply a result of the large surface area of the head, and possibly the pivoting head, making it hard to get the angles for all 7 blades right.

Once again, despite the extra effort on the Dorco I'm giving this one to the DR.

The MdC lived up to its reputation again and the Ogallala - just sublime!

Day Three Verdict: The 1903/04 Double Ring

@Mark1966 I'm finding the comparison interesting but how would the Dorco go against a DE razor that was actually designed for modern DE blades (basically any razor designed since WW2). How would your multi bladed beast go against a Fatboy, Slim or even a DE89? I suspect it would be no contest...

@Mark1966 I'm finding the comparison interesting but how would the Dorco go against a DE razor that was actually designed for modern DE blades (basically any razor designed since WW2). How would your multi bladed beast go against a Fatboy, Slim or even a DE89? I suspect it would be no contest...

Funny you should say that ...

Yeah, I'm a funny guy :) And??

I'm pleased to confirm that tomorrow we will have a special guest reviewer!

He will bring a unique perspective to the consideration of this razor.

Watch this space

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Occams Limes
Aftershave: Captains Choice Limes

Our special guest reviewer today is none other than my 14 year old son. Not a daily shaver, more weekly, but having had experience with a single edge disposable before quickly moving on to the Merkur 38C (which was my first razor). This is his first multi-blade experience.

Being a teenage boy his view are probably more 'concise' than mine -
  • Looks fancy
  • Easy to use
  • Does its job
  • Results OK
  • Still prefers a DE
Apart from the last comment that warms his father's heart it is an interesting perspective I think.

It certainly suggests that the visuals of a razor are important. I'd also suggest that the 'Easy to Use', 'Does its job' and 'Results OK' reflect the essential ingredients for a shave for the vast majority of the population. If he had not had experience with a DE that is also certainly where the 'search for a perfect shave' would have ended - stillborn.

He could not articulate why he prefers DE, might be assumed pressure from me!, but it also demonstrates that once there is some proficiency with DE alternatives don't stack up as better.

Day One (for him) Verdict: DE Rules OK!

Surprised your son does not have an account here yet!

14 years old and already shaving? What are they putting in the water down there? Or is it the hormones they force feed chickens? :)

14 years old and already shaving? What are they putting in the water down there? Or is it the hormones they force feed chickens? :)

Just the moustache is really needed and only once a week/fortnight. I was the same - genetic!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Mountain
Aftershave: Old Spice (current formulation)
Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle

OK well I'm getting a little bored so imagine that you are too. It has been suggested that I try the Dorco up against a modern razor - so back to my default Weber.

I must say from the start that after using these light razors the weight of the Weber is noticeable! It is clearly more like the DR than the Dorco but still very different.

As with the last shave I gave the Dorco the benefit of my FULL attention and the shave was good BUT once again not 'perfect' having still missed a small patch when I run my hands against the grain post shave. I'm still not sure that this is the result of my technique or simply a result of the large surface area of the head, and possibly the pivoting head, making it hard to get the angles for all 7 blades right.

In contrast the Weber felt comfortable and familiar from the get go. No pressure, let the weight do the work and a fantastic, close shave.

Day Four Verdict: I'm going with my son - DE Rules OK!

More correctly:

If you want a simple, no fuss shave within the boundaries of acceptable to good, are not prone to irritation as many people seem to be and can afford to keep turning over the carts when they need replacing - a multi-blade cartridge may suit you well.

If you want a better than acceptable to good shave, or are prone to irritation, or don't want to keep throwing the necessary money at carts and are willing to invest a little time to learn how to use a DE properly - you will be rewarded!

OK - will be over the @gthomas04 next with the Dorco!

It'll freak the poor man out. He shaves with two blades, SE and DE, and has to tell the world on every available occasion of this remarkable feat, and so the prospect of having 7 blades to play with is going to make him completely unbearable.

The joys of posting to the philistines. If you have noticed @Pjotr I have reduced my postings to near zero. I will inform @Mark1966 of the results of my seven blade excursion and leave it to him to decide if he wishes to share with the rest of you.