Review Dorco Pace 7 [vs Gillette 1903/04 (Pat App For) Double Ring]

The joys of posting to the philistines. If you have noticed @Pjotr I have reduced my postings to near zero. I will inform @Mark1966 of the results of my seven blade excursion and leave it to him to decide if he wishes to share with the rest of you.

I've still got the baby here BTW - decided I would use until the blades 'wear out' and see how many it lasts for. Will post here again when done and in the post ...

If you have noticed @Pjotr I have reduced my postings to near zero.
No!
How could it ever come to this ?
Mate, we need your level headed approach to this occupation that mutually binds us all.
Let's start small and try to wean you back into the fold, perhaps a simple SOTD pic would be a great starting point, or a post debating the virtues of various oils over other oils ?

Absolutely agree with @borked - the more opinions the merrier!!!

No!
Mate, we need your level headed approach to this occupation that mutually binds us all.
Let's start small and try to wean you back into the fold, perhaps a simple SOTD pic would be a great starting point, or a post debating the virtues of various oils over other oils ?
Nope

No!

Besides, @gthomas04 will miss the smiley's you throw into your posts. [emoji6]

Sounds like someone needs a hug (not volunteering btw, suggests the Arko female mascot).

We humbly sit at the feet of greatness and receive with thanks whatever comes forth.

This is, after all, the creator of the World Famous Thomas Method. New members may not be aware of thus and that we have greatness within our midst.

Paste & Cut - the home of the Drubbing Way and the Thomas Method - wet shaving heaven!

Also the only forum to have ever had two Gillette Double Rings for sale at at the same time.

Paste & Cut - the home of the Drubbing Way and the Thomas Method - wet shaving heaven!

Also the only forum to have ever had two Gillette Double Rings for sale at at the same time.
And 2 B&M Fougeres for $999 on sale for a limited time...

OK all, well just to bring some closure here I used the Dorco again this morning - day seven using it now.

It seemed to me to be a little clogged up and 'skippy' - not a good shave at all. With expectations set by DE shaving I would not use these carts for more than this.

A quick price check on eBay here suggests that for 24 cartridges it will be $US87.10 or $A121.92, so $A5.08 each. At the rate of one a week this would be $264.16 per annum.

See - we ARE saving money !!!!!!!!

Day #1 review - Dorco Pace 7 (Click HERE for my setup)

Thanks to @Mark1966 for sending me his pride and joy and giving me the opportunity to take it for a spin. Nearly 5 years since I picked up a cartridge razor.

The first thing that got my attention was the very long handle. I'm not sure what practical benefits this brings to the shave but lord it is long! Despite 7 blades the cartridge looked no different to the Schick system that I left behind.

Shaving with the Dorco was more a pleasant experience than I had remembered cartridges to be. Glide with the grain was nice smooth and without the friction that used to irritate me. No problems manoeuvring this beast and easy under the nose. I noticed that the rubber honeycomb thingy that is meant to stretch your skin was retaining water each time that I rinsed the blade. Water is critical when using a cartridge. By design - who knows? Against the grain was good too but I felt some scraping on the chin and parts of the neck so immediately backed off the pressure. The sense of familiarity was so strong that I found myself rushing the job.

Post shave feel was quite smooth and it removed a lot of stubble. No dreaded post-shave irritation or raw feeling that I used to experience.

Verdict: The result was quite satisfactory but too early make a call. Tuesday's are always easy shaves. Years of DE shaving may have reconditioned my skin. Using a quality soap and brush instead of canned lather might have improved the experience. Lets string a few more daily shaves before giving a final verdict.

Last edited:
Great review @Lifes a Peach! While be reading with interest.

Glad somebody else is up for the challenge ;)

7 blades. Unbelievable. Seems crazy that they would make such a thing.

Wasn't it George Orwell who wrote - 'one blade good, seven blades better' - or something like that.

Day #1 review - Dorco Pace 7 (Click HERE for my setup)

Thanks to @Mark1966 for sending me his pride and joy and giving me the opportunity to take it for a spin. Nearly 5 years since I picked up a cartridge razor.

The first thing that got my attention was the very long handle. I'm not sure what practical benefits this brings to the shave but lord it is long! Despite 7 blades the cartridge looked no different to the Schick system that I left behind.

Shaving with the Dorco was more a pleasant experience than I had remembered cartridges to be. Glide with the grain was nice smooth and without the friction that used to irritate me. No problems manoeuvring this beast and easy under the nose. I noticed that the rubber honeycomb thingy that is meant to stretch your skin was retaining water each time that I rinsed the blade. Water is critical when using a cartridge. By design - who knows? Against the grain was good too but I felt some scraping on the chin and parts of the neck so immediately backed off the pressure. The sense of familiarity was so strong that I found myself rushing the job.

Post shave feel was quite smooth and it removed a lot of stubble. No dreaded post-shave irritation or raw feeling that I used to experience.

Verdict: The result was quite satisfactory but too early make a call. Tuesday's are always easy shaves. Years of DE shaving may have reconditioned my skin. Using a quality soap and brush instead of canned lather might have improved the experience. Lets string a few more daily shaves before giving a final verdict.

Careful. Sounds like you are liking it very much and are grasping for reasons not too.

Day #2 review - Dorco Pace 7

There is not much to add in terms of the shave as it was a very similar result to my initial shave. Apart from the very long handle, the Dorco 7 blade razor is not a bad shaving instrument by any means. The shave was surprisingly close and smooth. Like my first shave I did find that I was rushing it - perhaps this type of razor is conducive to guys wanting to get the job done as quick as possible. Despite the speed and my reckless abandon there were no nicks or cuts. No need to shave in the shower, like I used to, to get an irritation free result.

So this got me thinking. Why the more pleasing result than the earlier days? My gut feeling is the soap and brush. Perhaps since taking up DE shaving my routine preparation, along with using a quality soap and brush, has made a difference. That quick slap of a canned Gillette lather was contributing to the damage that I was causing. Canned lather along with a DE may well end up like a train crash as well.

Rest assured - I am not about to abandon my DE's. It's only been 2 days and I'm already feeling bored. Moving a rectangular bit of plastic around my face does nothing for the inner beast in me. It feels like the art of shaving was lost when we picked up one of these things. Long term use may also bring back the nasties that this was causing to my skin. However, I can see why @Mark1966 takes a cartridge razor on short business trips, particularly when carry-on luggage dictates what you cannot take on board. A quick no nonsense shave when one is in a hurry is not always a bad thing.

Yes I think that there is a lot to be said for good preparation. Quality soap and brush into a decent lather and that better technique from using a DE stands you in good stead with the occasional cart shave

In the shower? You must have deep pockets. I like to take my time shaving and it runs up to 20mim including cleanup/put away. That's a lot of hot water down the drain.