EDC Torch Thread

Been after one for a .inute now.
Be a good S&R light in certain circumstances and used to its strengths.
Air support at night would locate you easily from a diatance for recon/rescue for example.

Anyone have the olight SR2 Batton 2 can give some advice on this torch in regards to flexibility going up and down lumens and the beam hotspot?

It's a great little torch, not a good as good as the Baton Pro, IMO, but has nice throw and a defined 'hotspot' which isn't all that hot considering the TIR lens makes it an even, round spot

Is that as similar as it looks to the Warrior Mini? I find the interface for that is really nice and simple for a bear of little brain like me...

The torches I am looking at are SR2, Batton pro and MR2 pro. The use would be everyday and outdoor use but with flexibility to go up and down the lumens. A good hotspot beam. At this stage I like wither Batton pro or MR2 pro.

@erobins so the Baton Pro is a floody torch with bugger all hotspot (4000ish candela) and the M2R Pro is more throw (22000ish candela). Size wise the M2R Pro is bigger, with a 21700 compared to the smaller form factor Baton Pro, which runs an 18650, but it has a tail switch and strike bezel if that's your thing.

As for lumens up and down the range.. both drop from turbo to 1/3 max output for their high modes.

Baton Pro goes from 2000Lm turbo to 600Lm high and the M2R Pro goes from 1800Lm turbo to 750Lm high.

The S2R Baton II has 1150Lm turbo and 400Lm on high, similar size to the Baton Pro but is less floody due to the smaller head but throws about the same due to similar candela.

If you want something with more lumens between low > high > turbo, try a torch running Anduril firmware (Lumintop, astrolux etc) as they have a ramp mode, so you can hold the button to find the output you want. Some non Anduril brands have this too. Anduril can be a bit complicated and if you just want low/med/high/turbo check out Olight, Fenix, Klarus etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with option 1.
This is what I did. The Makita us an incredible unit, beam and flood modes. We keep it by the door inside so it is ready to go. With a 5Ah battery it's always ready.

Lambing is coming up so it will get a good work out . Has been useful when checking car problems after work in the dark.

Recently split with my SO, so you know what that means! More torches!

Current collection (Including torches that are currently for sale)

P-20230615-213215.jpg

Lumintop FW21, Lumintop FW4A, Acebeam Pokelit Grey, Olight I5T (Autism Awareness Charity LE), Skilhunt E2A, Convoy S2+, Weltool T2 Tac, Weltool T13G (18650 body swap), Olight Perun 2, Olight, S1R Baton II, Olight S2R Baton II, Olight Baton 3 Pro NW, Olight I3T, Olight I3T Plus, Astrolux K2, Olight I3E UV, Olight I1R Eos, Olight IXV, Olight Gober & Olight I16.

Annnnnd I have 3 more in the mail from Aliexpress, a Convoy & 2 Skilhunts

Currently enjoying the AA/14500 form factor with the Skilhunt and Acebeam (both are grey and small). The Acebeam has 1000 Lumen output in Cool White and the Skilhunt has a 600 Lumen output in Warm white and High Colour Render Indexing (HCRI), which doesn't wash out colours as much.

My preference has moved away from sheer lumen output (Cool white, flood beam), to warmer lights, HCRI lights with some throw and less flood.

Considering a Fenix LD05 V2.0 2x AAA penlight at the moment, as it has a very warm 3000K white light, the 90 CRI (This is good!) Cree XQ-E HI warm white LED, plus a 365nm UV light.

Recently split with my SO, so you know what that means! More torches!

Current collection (Including torches that are currently for sale)

P-20230615-213215.jpg

Lumintop FW21, Lumintop FW4A, Acebeam Pokelit Grey, Olight I5T (Autism Awareness Charity LE), Skilhunt E2A, Convoy S2+, Weltool T2 Tac, Weltool T13G (18650 body swap), Olight Perun 2, Olight, S1R Baton II, Olight S2R Baton II, Olight Baton 3 Pro NW, Olight I3T, Olight I3T Plus, Astrolux K2, Olight I3E UV, Olight I1R Eos, Olight IXV, Olight Gober & Olight I16.

Annnnnd I have 3 more in the mail from Aliexpress, a Convoy & 2 Skilhunts

Currently enjoying the AA/14500 form factor with the Skilhunt and Acebeam (both are grey and small). The Acebeam has 1000 Lumen output in Cool White and the Skilhunt has a 600 Lumen output in Warm white and High Colour Render Indexing (HCRI), which doesn't wash out colours as much.

My preference has moved away from sheer lumen output (Cool white, flood beam), to warmer lights, HCRI lights with some throw and less flood.

Considering a Fenix LD05 V2.0 2x AAA penlight at the moment, as it has a very warm 3000K white light, the 90 CRI (This is good!) Cree XQ-E HI warm white LED, plus a 365nm UV light.
That’s a nice little collection. It’ good to see someone with more torches than me, I’m currently enjoying the Olight Marauder Mini, love the ability to swap between flood and spot.

That’s a nice little collection. It’ good to see someone with more torches than me, I’m currently enjoying the Olight Marauder Mini, love the ability to swap between flood and spot.
I used to have more! Bloody Olight mega packs. I've moved those on that I realistically won't use or didn't like, had a Lumintop fall apart in me. Olight made up the most of the collection and I was seriously considering the Seeker 4 Mini, but the runtimes and battery size/capacity restrictions stayed my itchy trigger finger 😂

Marauder mini is a damn good torch, RGB is a nice addition. My brother has the standard Marauder 2 and it's pretty good but I just can't with that form factor. Too big!

ntBHRmW.jpg
CKYX4I1.jpg
Here’s a comparison with my old combo purpleish looking LED and old school xenon bulb Surefire A2 Aviator. A legend in its day but outclassed by modern standards.

The Acebeam is amazing. My first high performance light in many years. Fantastic fit and finish the whole thing feels well made. VERY bright perfect balance of throw and flood in lovely high CRI so I can make out colours better. Great to see how thing have progressed.