Favourite soaps

Kaeckerut

Grand Society
I noticed we don't have a favourites list on this board so I thought I'd create one.
Normally this would be a 'top' list of sorts, but I'm calling it 'favourites' to make it clear this is personal preference and subjective, so pick what 'you' like.

My current favourites unordered:
  • APR - Lightning Ridge (Favourite for 'interesting' scent)
  • B&M - Seville
  • Captain's Choice - 45th Parallel
  • Stirling - Iced Pineapple (Love for the delicious pineapple scent and menthol)
  • Squadron - Dutch Resistance
  • WhollyKaw - Man from Mayfair and Chypre Rose Concerto (The best for face feel)
map41e0.jpg

1.MWF
2.B&M 42
3. An interchangeable list of others including The warden, Arko, sharp dressed man, Executive man, Haslinger yellow something..

Last edited:
First Tier:-
Barrister & Mann
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Haslinger Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Route 66
Stirling (without menthol)
Wholly Kaw (Donkey Milk version)

Second Tier:-
Lea Classic
Palmolive Classic shave stick (european version 3 sticks grated into a plastic tub)
Pre De Provence No. 63
Tabac
The Body Shop Maca Root
Wilkinson Sword shave stick (european version 3 sticks grated into a plastic tub)

Third Tier:-
Arko shave stick (3 sticks grated into a plastic tub)
La Toja
Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream

Sold:-
Cella
Dr Harris Windsor
La Savonniere Du Moulin
Martin de Candre Scented
Mike Natural Soaps
Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba

Last edited:
Based on performance my personal top 10 (in no order of preference) is as follows:

I won't comment on scented soaps as 9 times out of 10 it turns into a pissing competition.
  1. Martin de Candre
  2. Acqua di Palma
  3. Valobra
  4. Santa Maria Novella
  5. Panama 1924 by Boellis
  6. Antica Barbearia
  7. Talbot Shaving
  8. Declaration/L&L
  9. Barrister and Mann (all of them)
  10. @bald as*
I love the AP Reserve soap too of course, but I don't feel comfortable putting it in my list.

Number 10 is one of the best soaps I have ever used, period.

@SpeedyPC is the sold list ones you dislike? Or something else? I haven't heard of Route 66 until now, I'll have to look at getting some samples.
@Nightguard you're welcome to include creams. It wouldn't make much sense to start another topic for just creams. I've only bought one full sized tub of cream so far and that's been TOBS St. James. I like it enough to buy, not enough to put in my favourites list. ;)
@todras and @Ferret619 great lists. Some I still have to try myself.

@SpeedyPC is the sold list ones you dislike? Or something else? I haven't heard of Route 66 until now, I'll have to look at getting some samples.
@Nightguard you're welcome to include creams. It wouldn't make much sense to start another topic for just creams. I've only bought one full sized tub of cream so far and that's been TOBS St. James. I like it enough to buy, not enough to put in my favourites list. ;)
I can’t speak for the other guys but my top few really are just splitting the last 1% of awesomeness as they are all 99% excellent.
I’ll add the APR and Squadron range I have tried have been excellent too.
APR I hesitate to add as I’ve only tried it as a sample and never lathered the soap off the puck so testing wasn’t consistent with how I use my soaps.
Squadron is represented in my list by The Warden as it’s the scent I love the most out of the range I have tried, one regret going into 2018 is not having tried Red lead yet.

Alright, including creams.
1. MWF and GFT Cream
2. P&B, OSP, TFS and Ingrams
3. Squadron, Erasmic, Nanny's, Simpsons and T&H creams.

The soaps I've sold are the product that I don't like.

I can’t speak for the other guys but my top few really are just splitting the last 1% of awesomeness as they are all 99% excellent.
That's been my experience so far too. I haven't come across a 'bad' soap, but there has been ones where I'm not fond of the scent or the extra work to get a good lather (still haven't tried MWF, so no judgement there).
WK is definitely my favourite out of the soaps I've tried so far, but I don't think it would be my go-to soap, which is why I decided to make my list unordered.

I keep trying more soaps every year and every year, my top soaps basically remain the same...except in 2017, there was a new edition.

My, seemingly perpetual, favourites are:
- MWF & Lea tallow*
- Speick stick
The new addition:
- Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
(manna, felce and tundra are awesome too)

* This is where I differ from @SpeedyPC in that I find MWF and haslinger s/milk to be very different in just about every aspect. The Lea OTOH I find actually very similar to MWF...the texture of the puck, the loading process, the water addition process, water capacity, the texture of the lather and the post shave feel. That's why I lump Lea and MWF together. Whether this is still the case with the Lea being reformulated to veggie base, I'm not sure as I only have the tallow version.

This is where I differ from @SpeedyPC in that I find MWF and haslinger s/milk to be very different in just about every aspect.
@nav1 I'm not disagreeing with you or your judgement, all I said was is very similar, I never said they're both the same or exactly the same.

My favourites, in alphabetical order, are:

Soaps
APR
Barrister & Mann
Haslinger Schafmilch
Lea Tallow
Mikes
OSP
Phoenix & Beau
Shaver Heaven
Squadron
Stirling
Valobra

Creams
Logona Mann
Musgo Real
Occam's

No doubt I've forgotten a few....

My favourites, in alphabetical order, are:

Soaps
APR
Barrister & Mann
Haslinger Schafmilch
Lea Tallow
Mikes
OSP
Phoenix & Beau
Shaver Heaven
Squadron
Stirling
Valobra

Creams
Logona Mann
Musgo Real
Occam's

No doubt I've forgotten a few....

Oh yeah, I forgot about valobra.
It's a wonderful soap in every way!
A perfect replacement for the AOS tallow.