Review Feather AS-D2

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
feather-as-d2-stainless-safety-razor.jpg

I thought now that I have been using the Feather exclusively for a few weeks it would be time to share my impressions of how it shaves. I will spare you talk on the fit and finish as this is lauded across the interwebs, so suffice it to say the build quality and finish is unmatched and unsurpassed. Great grip and perfectly balanced.

I used to love the thrill of an aggressive razor, but as a daily shaver the required level of attention and face shredding began to take its toll. Thanks to @filobiblic for suggesting a sharp blade in a mild razor. Adventures with various other mild razors, such as the Standard, Rocket, SuperSpeed, led me to the Feather AS-D2.

My initial hesitation was the price but having learned long ago (with over a decade trading cameras) that you don't ever really save money by approximating something you want (usually by buying cheaper at the start and then perpetually upgrading and costing a ton by 'the end'). So this is THE mild razor if you want a mild razor. But please do not confuse 'mild' with 'inefficient'. After some practice, by shaves end the Feather, loaded with a Feather, gets me a closer shave than any of my previous aggressive razors - yes I am talking the likes of the Fatip, the R41 (2013), etc.

No other razor feels so comfortable performing an ATG pass - especially above the lip and on the neck. Yes ATG above the lip every morning. The resulting shaves are not only BBS and irritation-free but I find stubble takes longer to come out of hiding than BBS achieved from other razors....please don't ask me why or how, it just does in my experience so far.

But the biggest revelation comes from the fact that I found the Feather offers a smoother more comfortable shave in the longer term. Shaving daily takes its toll, especially trauma caused by repeated aggressive shaves. The more you stress your skin the less close the resulting shave seems - as I believe the skin swells to repair itself. The Feather seems gentler on the skin so avoids, or minimises, this trauma. This is a huge advantage that you only come to appreciate after you've experienced shaving with the Feathers for a time. No more bumpy skin, just smoooooooth to the touch.

So, yeah, it's pricey but the shave is absolutely amazing. And possibly cheaper in the long-term as you'll not really need another razor...again....ever. This will be the razor that makes me realise my @Drubbing dream of "One Razor, One Blade, Seriously!"

Some interesting thoughts there mate. Thanks for this.

I have some questions:

a) Have you every shaved with a Gillette Tech? The design of the AS-D2 always reminded me of the mighty Tech. I wonder if they shave similarly.

b) Have you ever shaved with a Gillette New? Although I love my English Tech, my New is slightly preferable in all the key criteria. I wonder how the AS-D2 compares to the New in shave comfort.

Some interesting thoughts there mate. Thanks for this.
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Very kind and much appreciated.

a) Have you every shaved with a Gillette Tech? The design of the AS-D2 always reminded me of the mighty Tech. I wonder if they shave similarly.
No I haven't tried a Tech but I admit to be tempted to try one but when I researched the Tech I got a headache after a couple of hours or so trying to determine which one is most similar to the AS-D2 - pre-war, post-war, Aluminium, Travel, etc., etc. Also I hear many folks trying to find the right combination of Tech head and then handle. One thing that strikes you about the Feather - even from first use - is the balance of head and handle. Obviously this razor was conceived of in its entirety. Be more than happy to make the comparison with the right Tech if someone wishes to ship me one they think rivals the Feather.

b) Have you ever shaved with a Gillette New? Although I love my English Tech, my New is slightly preferable in all the key criteria. I wonder how the AS-D2 compares to the New in shave comfort.
Yes the NEW used to be one of my favourite shavers. Still have a LC (UK). Last shave was a suburb away from the AS-D2 in closeness vs. efficiency differential. Also very much enjoyed a NEW SC I borrowed from @Lifes a Peach , though my favourite NEW was definitely the NEW DeLuxe. Tempted me to an iKon OC DeLuxe. But, again, repeated shaves with even the NEW DeLuxe take their toll. After five straight mornings of use I'd looked forward to having a rest for the weekend. With the AS-D2 I now shave seven days...honestly I can't stand the thought of not shaving for the day now.

Hope that helps mate.

Great review and insight...seems like I need another stainless :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Although I would need a side view picture, I think the head looks very similar to the British Pre-war fat and thin handle techs. Only with 3 lather slots instead of the two...

Would make sense to me - it is the best Tech for me out there, and the only one I still have (actually I have 2 cased ones). The originals are just too light for me, but I might use them as my travel razor, since most my other razors would be a real pain to replace.

I am sure you could pop over the National Gillette Museum and do a in person comparison?

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Very kind and much appreciated.

No I haven't tried a Tech but I admit to be tempted to try one but when I researched the Tech I got a headache after a couple of hours or so trying to determine which one is most similar to the AS-D2 - pre-war, post-war, Aluminium, Travel, etc., etc. Also I hear many folks trying to find the right combination of Tech head and then handle. One thing that strikes you about the Feather - even from first use - is the balance of head and handle. Obviously this razor was conceived of in its entirety. Be more than happy to make the comparison with the right Tech if someone wishes to ship me one they think rivals the Feather.

Yes the NEW used to be one of my favourite shavers. Still have a LC (UK). Last shave was a suburb away from the AS-D2 in closeness vs. efficiency differential. Also very much enjoyed a NEW SC I borrowed from @Lifes a Peach , though my favourite NEW was definitely the NEW DeLuxe. Tempted me to an iKon OC DeLuxe. But, again, repeated shaves with even the NEW DeLuxe take their toll. After five straight mornings of use I'd looked forward to having a rest for the weekend. With the AS-D2 I now shave seven days...honestly I can't stand the thought of not shaving for the day now.

Hope that helps mate.

Perfect info.

The issue of finding the right Tech is indeed complicated. I've tried a lot. The way to go is pre-war, oval holes, English, fat handle. If you tick all those boxes then you're golden. The aluminium ones are to be avoided like the plague. My Tech is with a friend right now but I'll post it to you when I get it back.

I was intrigued to hear about your New experiences. I truly find it to be the most comfortable razor ever made. I've shaved every day this year and >99% of those shaves have been with my US New. It's one of the few razors I can shave twice daily with. Just goes to show: YMMV.

It seems that Feather have taken one of the best of the old (Gillette Pre-War Tech) and improved it. Workmanship and quality is what you're paying for. It certainly looks a treat.

Thanks for your thoughts Stillsy. I'd be happy to accept a loan of your Feather but I don't think you'll let it out of your sight.

I too find the NEW to be a top shaver. No problems shaving daily with it.

I'd venture that a great daily shave with a DE is a third razor & blade, and two-thirds technique. Just putting it out there, but I think there would be many "top razors" to choose from. A lot comes to personal preference at the end.

feather-as-d2-stainless-safety-razor.jpg

I thought now that I have been using the Feather exclusively for a few weeks it would be time to share my impressions of how it shaves. I will spare you talk on the fit and finish as this is lauded across the interwebs, so suffice it to say the build quality and finish is unmatched and unsurpassed. Great grip and perfectly balanced.

I used to love the thrill of an aggressive razor, but as a daily shaver the required level of attention and face shredding began to take its toll. Thanks to @filobiblic for suggesting a sharp blade in a mild razor. Adventures with various other mild razors, such as the Standard, Rocket, SuperSpeed, led me to the Feather AS-D2.

My initial hesitation was the price but having learned long ago (with over a decade trading cameras) that you don't ever really save money by approximating something you want (usually by buying cheaper at the start and then perpetually upgrading and costing a ton by 'the end'). So this is THE mild razor if you want a mild razor. But please do not confuse 'mild' with 'inefficient'. After some practice, by shaves end the Feather, loaded with a Feather, gets me a closer shave than any of my previous aggressive razors - yes I am talking the likes of the Fatip, the R41 (2013), etc.

No other razor feels so comfortable performing an ATG pass - especially above the lip and on the neck. Yes ATG above the lip every morning. The resulting shaves are not only BBS and irritation-free but I find stubble takes longer to come out of hiding than BBS achieved from other razors....please don't ask me why or how, it just does in my experience so far.

But the biggest revelation comes from the fact that I found the Feather offers a smoother more comfortable shave in the longer term. Shaving daily takes its toll, especially trauma caused by repeated aggressive shaves. The more you stress your skin the less close the resulting shave seems - as I believe the skin swells to repair itself. The Feather seems gentler on the skin so avoids, or minimises, this trauma. This is a huge advantage that you only come to appreciate after you've experienced shaving with the Feathers for a time. No more bumpy skin, just smoooooooth to the touch.

So, yeah, it's pricey but the shave is absolutely amazing. And possibly cheaper in the long-term as you'll not really need another razor...again....ever. This will be the razor that makes me realise my @Drubbing dream of "One Razor, One Blade, Seriously!"
That's a nice looking handle.

I'd be happy to accept a loan of your Feather but I don't think you'll let it out of your sight.

Yeah sorry mate. It's my 'one-and-only' in the cabinet. Now if I had a second one well then....

That's a nice looking handle.

I thought I preferred the girth and heft of the Weber bulldog. But this one is better balanced....though not sure if the Weber Classic comes close?

Is interesting that several owners seem to be drawing such a close likeness to a Tech, which is often somewhat scorned as a 'newbies razor' much the same way you'd be looked at for championing Merlot amongst red wine buffs.

I don't doubt the likeness is more than coincidental. However, heck of a price ratio for essentially a stainless steel variant - albeit one that perhaps has it's balance a tad more bang on and with superior 'grip'. Seems the alltime best price on the AS-D2 was around $USD150 via that Massdrop, with even very good Techs often going well south of $20 here.

Balance in a handle is kinda a funny thing as surely it's very dependant on the actual head of the razor - and unless the handle is quite unevenly proportioned surely the balance is almost solely dependant on where each user holds it, which I'd imagine tends to vary quite a bit. Don't get me wrong I don't doubt for a sec the AS-D2 is beautifully balanced, such a detail at that price point is sure to have been accounted for by the good folks at Feather but other than real nasty cheapies I've never found any razors to be balanced in a way that actually adversely affected their performance.

IIRC most of the Tech heads should have that universal thread size thus allowing them to be put on any number of other handles - so plenty of frankenrazor fun there if folks wanted to explore that theory.

FWIW my wife's allocated razor is a Tech clone (Feather travel razor) and if I've missed a spot I'll often grab it - and somewhat alrmingly I generally I find myself thinking,"Wow, that cheap lil bugger shaves very well!". So they prolly deserve a lot more love - but the AS-D2 does take that to another tier all together.

Bulldog handle has arrived. This is sold as "blemished" stock. A quick once-over in the low light of the living room and I can't see any blemish. For $25.00 plus $10.00 postage from the states (a bit over a week) is a real bargain.

This handle is approximately 10-12mm shorter than the Barley chrome handle I had on my EJ DE89. The Bulldog is not as aesthetically pleasing as the Barley chrome, looking "dumpier" (short & fat). I used the straight for for usual evening shave tonight so the Bulldog gets it's first "outing" tomorrow morning.

Having screwed the handle on tonight it feels like all the weight is now in the head. This is probably due to the balance shifting due to the shorter handle. Feels ideally weighted though to "let the blade do the work - no pressure". The grip given by the extra knurling feels great. Can't wait till tomorrow morning.
Gotta go with ya on the Bulldog @stillshunter. Great "feel". Weighty and that knurling provides great grip. Makes the my DE89 (thanks @Mark1966) look like a really manly/tool-type unit.

The issue of finding the right Tech is indeed complicated. I've tried a lot. The way to go is pre-war, oval holes, English, fat handle. If you tick all those boxes then you're golden. The aluminium ones are to be avoided like the plague.

Interesting....

When you say 'oval holes', which of these pre-war fat-handled Techs on the left (the two on the right are US) do you mean - slotted or triangular?

Tech-5a.JPG

I'm assuming the second one along as the AS-D2 is slotted....

Feather%208.JPG

or is it neither and somewhere here?

1938-1966%20Tech%20Evolution%20klein.jpg

Last edited:
Great write-up thank you @stillshunter - definitely gives some food for thought. I've had trouble finding AS-D2 nirvana. For quite a while I have believed that I just wasn't finding or maintaining the right angle - I found I was doing too much buffing and cleaning up, and invariably ended up with irritated skin after a few days of use. Did it take you a while to find the right angle?

You've inspired me to try much sharper blades and keep tweaking combinations until I manage to find the "sweet spot" for sustained usage without the eventual irritation that has plagued me so far.

Thanks again mate - any further tips would be appreciated greatly :)

Great write-up thank you @stillshunter - definitely gives some food for thought. I've had trouble finding AS-D2 nirvana. For quite a while I have believed that I just wasn't finding or maintaining the right angle - I found I was doing too much buffing and cleaning up, and invariably ended up with irritated skin after a few days of use. Did it take you a while to find the right angle?

You've inspired me to try much sharper blades and keep tweaking combinations until I manage to find the "sweet spot" for sustained usage without the eventual irritation that has plagued me so far.

Thanks again mate - any further tips would be appreciated greatly :)
My pleasure mate. But I'm going to put the call out to @Young Buck here as he helped me along at the start and is well-versed with the AS-D2.

Meanwhile, I confess to never having tried a blade other than the Feather. Sounds right and so far seems right. It did take a good 5-7 shaves to get the angle right, after which I ventured to the ATG pass. What I did notice is the handle is held higher (more perpendicular to the angle of the face) than with other razors - I think it's officially referred to as a steeper angle.

shave_angle_zpsce0004eb.jpg

Certainly steeper than what is pictured here as a 'steep' angle....so, again, let's call it a 'steeper' angle.

Also find shorter strokes much better than longer. Also resisting the urge to apply pressure also helps.

But "AS-D2 102" will come from @Young Buck ...

Either way be keen to hear how you progress mate.

My advice to a quick, comfortable and efficient shave is use a feather blade and skip the downwards pass on the face area for a cross the grain. My shave consists of 2 down on neck one up. One ear to nose, nose to ear and one up. After a total of three passes there is no hair left!

As for stills helpful picture I would double the gap. Best way is place the razor flat on its head against you face begin to lower it and when it starts cutting there's the angle!
Agreed mate, it's a steeper angle and about twice as elevated a handle sounds about right.

Thanks a heap @stillshunter and @Young Buck - that gives me a solid start indeed guys. Shame I've already shaved today, but the AS-D2 is out and lying in wait for tomorrow morning. And loaded with a Feather blade of course ;)

Reassuring to hear it wasn't a walk-in start for you @stillshunter - looks like I have a solid week of Feather ahead of me, getting it right and burning it into muscle memory.